Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,101 Members 42,893 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] New contract S5, question on Computrace and ROM flash

Tip us?

Deeko76
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] New contract S5, question on Computrace and ROM flash

Hi,

As is tradition, I upgrade my phone and then come here for the best ROM to remove provider bloat. This has been fine with my S2, S3, and S4 over the years. Now I have a new S5 and into my 4th month of a 24 month contract. As usual I want the best ROM so this is the place, but then I discover in the latest provider firmware update (from EE in UK )they have pushed something called Computrace (apprently an official EE app which deals with fraud). Now I don't particularly like this being on my phone but not too bothered as it doesn't effect daily use), what I'd like to know is this - is it ok for me to flash my phone to a sim-free S5 ROM while this is on my phone?

cheers

gee2012
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeko76 View Post
Hi,

As is tradition, I upgrade my phone and then come here for the best ROM to remove provider bloat. This has been fine with my S2, S3, and S4 over the years. Now I have a new S5 and into my 4th month of a 24 month contract. As usual I want the best ROM so this is the place, but then I discover in the latest provider firmware update (from EE in UK )they have pushed something called Computrace (apprently an official EE app which deals with fraud). Now I don't particularly like this being on my phone but not too bothered as it doesn't effect daily use), what I'd like to know is this - is it ok for me to flash my phone to a sim-free S5 ROM while this is on my phone?

cheers
Rooting a smartphone isn`t fraudulous and It doesn`t even invalidate warranty in the EU. I think computrace`s function is to prevent more losses after theft, localisation of the device and beeing able to disable the phone.
USE Search: /this thread /all threads/Google before posting your question, you`re most likely not the first one having this issue