[Q] Day 1 of S5 from Nexus 5. Very disappointed, seeking guidance.

OP hairy.areola

8th July 2014, 08:15 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

10 posts
First 12 hours with the S5 and I'm rather disappointed. I truly expected to love this phone. Coming from a Nexus 5, the S5 touch and feel pales in comparison in every way. TouchWiz feels like Android circa 2011 compared to the vanilla N5. The back button is on the wrong side of the S5, causing me to disjoint my thumb knuckle when the button is sought. The voice that is used for Google maps navigation sounds like a geriatric Bea Arthur riddled with emphysema.

So either I return the S5 to TMO or find a ROM to make her vanilla like the N5. Does such a ROM exist, and if not, which ROM will get me close? Thanks for the input!
8th July 2014, 08:22 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 11

455 posts
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairy.areola

First 12 hours with the S5 and I'm rather disappointed. I truly expected to love this phone. Coming from a Nexus 5, the S5 touch and feel pales in comparison in every way. TouchWiz feels like Android circa 2011 compared to the vanilla N5. The back button is on the wrong side of the S5, causing me to disjoint my thumb knuckle when the button is sought. The voice that is used for Google maps navigation sounds like a geriatric Bea Arthur riddled with emphysema.

So either I return the S5 to TMO or find a ROM to make her vanilla like the N5. Does such a ROM exist, and if not, which ROM will get me close? Thanks for the input!

Return it if you're not happy. If you flash a rom you will void your warranty.
Otherwise:
1. I prefer the back button where it is. I've got used to it..
2. you don't have to use touchwiz - but I am for now. Check out Themer from the play store.
3. Turn off voice navigation
8th July 2014, 08:28 AM   |  #3  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Heerlen
Thanks Meter: 3,145

8,558 posts
More
Quote:

Root the device, debloat it and use a custom launcher. This should fix most of your issues. Development is just starting so there are not that many roms available yet but just give it some time.
8th July 2014, 10:05 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 875

1,284 posts
Quote:

Just return it. It seems you would be more comfortable with stock Android. BTW you should have seen Touchwiz in past years, current version is miles better.

The S5 battery life is much better. I Used to have a N5

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk
8th July 2014, 10:46 AM   |  #5  
Flag Sheffield
Thanks Meter: 8

114 posts
More
Quote:

Having had samsungs as my past couple of phones i would say the nexus back button is on the wrong side ha ha.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread

Top Threads in Galaxy S 5 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank