Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,914 Members 49,705 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Deleted SU & BUSYBOX

Tip us?

njshafou
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Deleted SU & BUSYBOX

I rooted with towelroot and then wanted to unroot because I was having issues. I was too lazy to just flash a new firmware, so instead I read that if you delete the SU and BUSYBOX files from xbin, it will unroot your device. I unrooted my device and restarted it but I am getting the 'system software not authorized' message. I tried to use odin for hours on end, trying different settings and what not and have no luck (odin needs the phone to be rooted in order to work its magic). Am I S.O.L.? I have the Verizon g900v

fffft
Old
Thanks Meter 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by njshafou View Post
I rooted with towelroot and then wanted to unroot because I was having issues. I was too lazy to just flash a new firmware, so instead I read that if you delete the SU and BUSYBOX files from xbin, it will unroot your device. I unrooted my device and restarted it but I am getting the 'system software not authorized' message. I tried to use odin for hours on end, trying different settings and what not and have no luck (odin needs the phone to be rooted in order to work its magic). Am I S.O.L.? I have the Verizon g900v
Knox doesn't like you messing with system files. By corrupting, rather than removing your root you now have the worst of both worlds. Knox isn't suppressed anymore and complains because it detects some of the changes you made. And your root is no longer functional.

You need to either re-root, either as an end goal or to be in a position to remove root properly. Or alternately you can install a 100% stock firmware so that Knox is placated. Odin 3.x shouldn't object to flashing a full and current Verizon OEM ROM. Note that the latter approach will obliterate your personal settings and data, so a backup would be in order first.