Default DIY: Replaced my shattered camera lens

I thought I'd put this out there for anyone like myself who was suffering from a shattered back camera lens. Mine may or may not have broken when my phone slipped out of my pocket and hit concrete from about 6" height, but that's besides the point. It was broken, I scraped out the shards with tweezers and carried about my life until a replacement lens came in from Amazon (seller JM Int'L_Ships From Chicago; item name: ePartSolution-Samsung Galaxy S5 G900A G900T G900V G900P Camera Lens Glass Cover Repair Part USA Seller), which cost ~$7 shipped and arrived within a week. Anybody complaining about a $70+ bill to send this thing to Samsung or their carrier should seriously consider the DIY route. All you need is tweezers and some time, really.

Needed materials:
  • Tweezers
  • Replacement lens kit
  • Isopropyl alcohol
  • Cotton swabs for the isopropyl alcohol
  • 30 minutes of your time

So here are the steps to fix your camera (or here's a video I found on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm1ngu_JtGA):

0. Disassemble phone and prep your work area.

1. Remove old camera lens ring. It's the silver piece. Take tweezers and pry it off. It doesn't matter if you scratch this piece up because it's going in the trash. Note: these pictures show that my lens was already removed - little pieces of it kept falling out throughout the week, so I had to remove it before taking these pictures.

2. Remove any pieces of the old camera lens. There will be a foam-like adhesive (kind of like 3M outdoor double sided sticky tape, but thinner?) under the lens and it's a pain to scrape it all off. What you see in the picture is what happens after you scrape the adhesive off. Clean the area using isopropyl alcohol.

3. The kit of parts will come with a replacement lens (1), an adhesive ring (2), and replacement camera lens ring with adhesives (3). Assemble adhesive ring (2) to replacement lens (1), applying the adhesive on the side with concentric circles (visible side in the picture). Do not apply to the solid black side.

5. After verifying that camera lens and surrounding areas are clean and free of lint/debris/whatever, install the new camera lens. Press firmly so adhesive can adhere to phone body. Do not apply so much pressure as to crack the new lens, though. Remove protective plastic wrap off surface of solid black side of camera lens.

6. Install new camera lens ring, ensuring notched area aligns properly with phone body. You'll notice that the replacement lens kit from Amazon comes with both adhesives pre-installed. The black adhesive goes around the lens itself while the clear adhesive adheres the ring to the body of the phone. Press firmly using your fingernails or tweezers.

New lens with ring on left, old ring on right.

That's it. I'm not sure how water resistant my phone will be now that there is no foam-like adhesive under the camera lens, but I'll just keep my phone out of the swimming pool from now on.