Nova Launcher Update Brings Lollipop Functionality and Feel

One of the most popular third party launcher on Android, Nova Launcher, has just … more

Check Your I/O Usage with Iotop for Android

Ever needed to check the I/O usage of apps? If so, you probably tried searching for an iotop … more

T-Mobile HTC One M8 Gets Selfie-Friendly Android 4.4.4 OTA

The T-Mobie variant of HTC One (M8) just now received an over-the-air update … more

Android L is for Lockdown

Root is, without a doubt, the (un)holy grail of the Android world. Those wonderful permissions that allow you as … more
Post Reply

[Q] DTMF tones

OP xbluesx

18th August 2014, 04:53 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
9 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
Is there any way to adjust the length of the DTMF tones? My security door at home uses the tone from my keypad to function, like a touchtone system. But Im being told that the tone my phone puts out is too short to trigger the unlock device on the door. Ive seen where other phones can adjust the length of the tone but I can't find any way to do it on the S5. Any ideas?
18th August 2014, 06:19 PM   |  #2  
metalfan78's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Littleton, CO
Thanks Meter: 1,716
 
3,957 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2010
More
Phone/settings/calls, scroll down to dtmf tones.
18th August 2014, 06:57 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
9 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfan78

Phone/settings/calls, scroll down to dtmf tones.

I dont have that as an option. I have:

Call rejection
Answering and ending calls
Call notification pop ups
In-call status pop-up
Show caller information
Call alerts
Call accessories
Additional settings

Ringtone and keypad tones
Personalize call sound
Noise reduction

Voicemail service
Voicemail settings
Sound
Vibrate

Ive gone through each one of the sub menus available and there is no mention of DTMF tones anywhere.


Oh and I have a stock Galaxy S5 with AT&T running android version 4.4.2
18th August 2014, 07:22 PM   |  #4  
fffft's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 541
 
1,832 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2013
Seems odd that you wouldn't have a basic Kitkat setting like this. Another victory for ATT. It is there on my 900T.

Anyway, install a DTMF app then which will let you adjust the tone length e.g DTMF dialer

.
18th August 2014, 08:57 PM   |  #5  
metalfan78's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Littleton, CO
Thanks Meter: 1,716
 
3,957 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2010
More
Very strange. That seems like an option every phone should have.
19th August 2014, 06:01 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
9 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfan78

Very strange. That seems like an option every phone should have.

Yeah, just about every other phone I know of gives you the option to change it. Thanks AT&T!!

Ive tried a couple of DTMF dialers with no luck yet. Ill keep messing with them to see if I can get one to work on my security door.
19th August 2014, 09:23 PM   |  #7  
fffft's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 541
 
1,832 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2013
The app that I suggested has an adjustable period.

Ensure that you set the duration to long or specify a period. A short DTMF burst is ~ 40 ms. A long burst is ~ 100 ms, although some equipment may be happier with very long tone bursts on the order of 250 ms.

.
20th August 2014, 06:25 PM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
9 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by fffft

The app that I suggested has an adjustable period.

Ensure that you set the duration to long or specify a period. A short DTMF burst is ~ 40 ms. A long burst is ~ 100 ms, although some equipment may be happier with very long tone bursts on the order of 250 ms.

.

So does this app just work by playing the tones over the speaker into another phone, or does it play the tone into my S5? Basically my security door works where you press my code on the keypad and it rings my phone (my S5). I answer the call and press 9 on the keypad and it sends the tone to the security door and unlocks it. The tone that my phone puts out now is apparently too short for the security door to pick up and wont trigger the unlock. Will this app work where I can answer the call from the security door and then press 9 then play on the app and it trigger the door? Im hoping so!
21st August 2014, 02:41 AM   |  #9  
DarkMidnight's Avatar
Member
Flag Pittsburgh
Thanks Meter: 25
 
81 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbluesx

So does this app just work by playing the tones over the speaker into another phone, or does it play the tone into my S5? Basically my security door works where you press my code on the keypad and it rings my phone (my S5). I answer the call and press 9 on the keypad and it sends the tone to the security door and unlocks it. The tone that my phone puts out now is apparently too short for the security door to pick up and wont trigger the unlock. Will this app work where I can answer the call from the security door and then press 9 then play on the app and it trigger the door? Im hoping so!

Go into your Dialer like you're going to make a phone call, type ##3282# and go to Edit in the menu that pops up. DTMF is towards the bottom. You can select short / long in there.
Last edited by DarkMidnight; 21st August 2014 at 02:42 AM. Reason: ##3282# typo corrected.
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkMidnight For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st August 2014, 02:23 PM   |  #10  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
9 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMidnight

Go into your Dialer like you're going to make a phone call, type ##3282# and go to Edit in the menu that pops up. DTMF is towards the bottom. You can select short / long in there.

I tried this and the only thing that pops up is "USSD and then my phone number". No menus or anything. Just a button to hit OK.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Galaxy S 5 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank