Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,440 Members 51,267 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Enabling hidden menus SM-G900I

Tip us?

Frustrated Aussie
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Enabling hidden menus SM-G900I

Hi all !

i've recently purchased a a new S5 and am keen to get into the nitty gritty of it all. i've been trawling through this forum for 3 days now resolving problem after problem that i've encountered which has been quite fun as im learning alot about my phone but i have hit a brick wall that is stopping me from activating service mode none of the codes i've found will work, after much searching and a hint here and there i suspect i need to enable the secret menus on my phone so i installed Root Browser to find the efs/carrier folder but there is no "Carrier" folder in the efs folder and i cant find any thing that could explain why please help me i feel im sooo close but my goal is just out of reach.

fffft
Old
(Last edited by fffft; 11th July 2014 at 04:08 AM.)
Thanks Meter 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustrated Aussie View Post
i have hit a brick wall that is stopping me from activating service mode none of the codes i've found will work

Can't offer you any specific codes since you didn't tell us which firmware version you have.. but you can find the answer in this thread (or a dozen similar ones).

If you still can't find a working dialer code for some reason, then install a terminal emulator app on your rooted S5 and type the following commands to open the service menu:

Code:
Select Code
su
am broadcast -a android.provider.Telephony.SECRET_CODE -d android_secret_code://27663368378

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You officially owe me a beer now
The Following User Says Thank You to fffft For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dieselboy
Old
Thanks Meter 10
OP - what's your goal? Why are you trying to open that?
It does sound like you're new to Android, so why go to that trouble?

fffft
Old
Thanks Meter 245
Because it's there? To see what is possible?
The OP's position makes perfect sense to me.

Frustrated Aussie
Old
(Last edited by Frustrated Aussie; 11th July 2014 at 08:45 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thank you very much every one for your responses.

fffft ill try that link and try to work my way through similar links i can find if that one doesnt work.

And if that doesn't work i'll try the terminal program (the thrill of the hunt lol ).

The reason i want to is i'm a tinkerer i like to explore all options and menus and see what i can do with it, previously i owned an Iphone and hated the fact that apple were so controlling of a device i paid many 100's of dollars for hence i decided to go for the Samsung yes im new to android but not new to tinkering with technology it's the challenge i think i hate to be beaten by a non sentient object lol

firmware version is i believe 4.4.2 (android version) if i'm looking at the right thing. Build number KOT49H.G900IDVU1ANE1

(i had to use this file to fix it after i softbricked it trying to root it the first time) G900IDVU1ANE1_G900IOPS1ANE1_G900IDVU1ANE1_HOME.tar .MD5

And yes fffft if this works i'll buy you a whole case of beer !!!

Goldie
Old
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 15904

DONATE TO ME
If you like to tinker you would be better learning to mod as there is not much very exciting in those menus

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
If you think its worth it......you could buy me a beer

fffft
Old
Thanks Meter 245
@Frustrated Aussie

Try the steps in post #50 of the referenced thread.
(Or even easier, install a terminal emulator app)

i.e.

*#0011#

press menu > back
press menu > key input > Q
press menu > key input > 0000

Then wait ten seconds for the screen to refresh to the service menu page

The Following User Says Thank You to fffft For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Frustrated Aussie
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
If you like to tinker you would be better learning to mod as there is not much very exciting in those menus

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
i'll get there

but i gotta start somewhere and first i need to learn how not to screw this phone up first lol
next step will be the elusive engineer mode

Frustrated Aussie
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by fffft View Post
@Frustrated Aussie

Try the steps in post #50 of the referenced thread.
(Or even easier, install a terminal emulator app)

i.e.

*#0011#

press menu > back
press menu > key input > Q
press menu > key input > 0000

Then wait ten seconds for the screen to refresh to the service menu page

That was alot easier than the terminal command though i worked out i can add the terminal command to the "initial Command" in the menu and every time i open a new window it brings up the service mode screen both work well

fffft
Old
Thanks Meter 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
there is not much very exciting in those menus

Really? I've always found a plethora of interesting items in service menus. And the S5 menu is no different. It had essential information to calibrate the handset and complete several projects. The NV dump dialog is immensely useful for firmware research and modding. And there are people actively looking for new dialer codes and an updated SIM unlock method based on those menus to name but a few examples.

I also thought that the related string that E:V:A found in the S4 firmware worth exploring in the S5 -
mFeatureList.put("emergency_for_cyber_terror", boolean2)

I wonder what features are enabled or blocked in that mode? The thread that I referenced earlier, and it is only one of many on the subject of service menus, has 56,000 views. But yeah, there are other approaches to modding too. If the OP hasn't lost interest already, have a look at this thread which talks about decompling system apps to find out more about the service menu and related firmware features.

---------- Post added at 04:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:52 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustrated Aussie View Post
That was alot easier than the terminal command though i worked out i can add the terminal command to the "initial Command" in the menu and every time i open a new window it brings up the service mode screen both work well
Great. That Cooper's Extra strong that you guys make is pretty good.