Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,951 Members 52,667 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Font getting clipped on incallui

Tip us?
 
Reechings
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 111
Posts: 552
Join Date: Jan 2012
Default Font getting clipped on incallui

I find with almost all fonts (even included ones from Samsung) that there is clipping of the font where it says "dialing" etc. when I am making or receiving a call. I am currently using a segoewp flipfont that looks great everywhere else and works fine on the incallui of my S3 that is also using KitKat. I'm guessing it's a long shot but has anyone figured out a way around this or am I stuck trying to find another font that works? I really don't want to change from the segoewp font. I have tried a different version of segoewp and have tried different font sizes and tried adjusting DPI and font scale for incallui using xposed app settings mod but no dice.



Tapped It!
 
fffft
Old
#2  
fffft's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 322
Posts: 1,143
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reechings View Post
Font getting clipped on incallui

That is a pretty minor flaw that would not concern most people very much. My point being, even if Google or Samsung are aware of it, it would be a very low priority for them to fix.

Choices? You could search and see if a Themer has noticed and corrected it already. Submit a bug report and wait for Google to eventually update it. Find a different font that doesn't clip or ignore the clipping. Or find a tutorial on theming and fix it yourself. Or buy me a kilo of decent coffee and I'll correct it for you.

You'd need to decompile the package and edit the cell spacing or padding. Probably in the xxhdpi drawable dimens.xml file.

.
The Following User Says Thank You to fffft For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Reechings
Old
#3  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 111
Posts: 552
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by fffft View Post
That is a pretty minor flaw that would not concern most people very much. My point being, even if Google or Samsung are aware of it, it would be a very low priority for them to fix.

Choices? You could search and see if a Themer has noticed and corrected it already. Submit a bug report and wait for Google to eventually update it. Find a different font that doesn't clip or ignore the clipping. Or find a tutorial on theming and fix it yourself. Or buy me a kilo of decent coffee and I'll correct it for you.

You'd need to decompile the package and edit the cell spacing or padding. Probably in the xxhdpi drawable dimens.xml file.

.
Yeah it's probably something I will have to live with for now. My OCD can drive me nuts sometimes. Kills me that the exact same font works perfectly fine on my work S3. Bad enough that it spells dialing with two "L" s. First world problems I guess.

Tapped It!
 
Reechings
Old
#4  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 111
Posts: 552
Join Date: Jan 2012
I ended up using a ttf editor called font forge to reduce the size of the font contained in the ttf file then used ifont from the play store to create a font apk from that ttf so now I have a segoewp font that looks how I want and is a bit smaller so it doesn't get clipped anymore. Nothing like a solution born out of pure nitpickiness.

Tapped It!
 
Reechings
Old
#5  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 111
Posts: 552
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by fffft View Post
That is a pretty minor flaw that would not concern most people very much. My point being, even if Google or Samsung are aware of it, it would be a very low priority for them to fix.

Choices? You could search and see if a Themer has noticed and corrected it already. Submit a bug report and wait for Google to eventually update it. Find a different font that doesn't clip or ignore the clipping. Or find a tutorial on theming and fix it yourself. Or buy me a kilo of decent coffee and I'll correct it for you.

You'd need to decompile the package and edit the cell spacing or padding. Probably in the xxhdpi drawable dimens.xml file.

.
I wasn't able to find that XML file but I found a file called "primary_call_info.xml" in the layout folder and was wondering if it might be the one to tweak. Any thoughts you can give would be greatly appreciated 😆

Tapped It!
 
fffft
Old
#6  
fffft's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 322
Posts: 1,143
Join Date: Jul 2013
Did you decompile the app? If not, that is why you didn't find the file.

.
 
Reechings
Old
#7  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 111
Posts: 552
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by fffft View Post
Did you decompile the app? If not, that is why you didn't find the file.

.
Yes I am opening the incallui.apk with ES Explorer and opened the XML file in question with Axel editor and see a lot of references to padding and such. I was hoping you might be able to take a look at the XML file that I quoted to you and shed some insight about whether you thought that might be the right spot to edit.

Thank you SO much for your attitude though, very helpful.

Tapped It!
 
fffft
Old
#8  
fffft's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 322
Posts: 1,143
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reechings View Post
Yes I am opening the incallui.apk with ES Explorer and opened the XML file in question with Axel editor

It doesn't sound like you are decompiling the system app.

If you don't decompile it with a tool such as apktool first, you will not see the xml in question with a file browser like ES explorer.

.
 
Reechings
Old
#9  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 111
Posts: 552
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by fffft View Post
It doesn't sound like you are decompiling the system app.

If you don't decompile it with a tool such as apktool first, you will not see the xml in question with a file browser like ES explorer.

.
I am exploring inside the incallui.apk with ES explorer which let's me see all the files. I went through the folders and did not see an xml file name like the one you mentioned. I did find the one I mentioned in the res/layout folder which I thought looked promising. If I can find the right XML file to edit I can use zarchiver to insert the edited file into the APK and can also use zipsigner to sign the APK if needed (at least that's my plan).

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1407884618579.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  51.0 KB

Tapped It!
 
fffft
Old
(Last edited by fffft; 13th August 2014 at 01:42 AM.)
#10  
fffft's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 322
Posts: 1,143
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reechings View Post
I am exploring inside the incallui.apk with ES explorer which let's me see all the files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someone else
The sky is blue.

Only one of the statements above is correct. Believe what you wish.



/unsubscribed


.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8-12-2014 5-39-14 PM.png
Views:	17
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	2895208  

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes