Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,680 Members 45,344 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Google Services killing battery when Airplane Mode on

Tip us?

swatzombies
Old
(Last edited by swatzombies; 3rd July 2014 at 06:39 PM.) Reason: Screencaps didn't load
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Google Services killing battery when Airplane Mode on

I'm using the latest Xtrestolite ROM with stock kernel, and I'm experiencing considerable battery drains and wakelocks when using the airplane mode.

http://imgur.com/a/QidEl

I think Google Services is the one causing wakelocks, but WLD shows Cloudmagic despite it being one of the best behaved apps. My location reporting is turned off, locations services set to GPS only, and WIFI scanning even when off is also turned off. Please help me fix this issue.

fffft
Old
Thanks Meter 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatzombies View Post
I think Google Services is the one causing wakelocks ... Please help me fix this issue.
Been there, done that. I can confirm that Google is an excessive drain when in airplane mode. Google derives their income from advertising and is very invested in keeping you online and building a profile of what you do there. They are a lot less concerned about the impact that the constant traffic has on your battery life.

There are many ways that you could reduce this problem. The following is optimal with respect to battery life, but there are less aggressive approaches if you want some intermediate balance of Google background activity vs. battery. You shouldn't find it difficult to search for alternatives in that case.

It's not actually Google /Play services that is instigating the wakelocks. It's the Google search app aka Google Now frequently pinging the GP services app for location that sets up all the wakelocks for NlPCollectorWakeLock. Android or GSAM labels it as "GP services" though which is a bit misleading.

Fix this behaviour by using Xprivacy or a similar permissions app e.g. App Ops or probably even the Android App Privacy menu to remove the Google Now permissions for:

Keep device awake
Access location

This eliminates almost all of the wakelocks and Google Now remains or appears to remain functional. Probably screws up Google's profile of your online activity though. Alternately you could try turning off location history and reporting (untested by me).

The Following User Says Thank You to fffft For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]