Guide to Dual Boot Snapdragon Note 4

Dual Boot is one of the most desirable features for a flashaholic, and with this guide by XDA … more

Has ART Made a Noticeable Jump in App Performance?

We’ve received mixed reports about switching to ART but it seems that the … more

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Drop Test

The Samsung Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge are already proving to be amongst the head turners of 2015. … more

Consolidated GApps Central

Following the retirement of Paranoid Android GApps Provider TKruzze and subsequent deletion of … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

GPS accuracy in GS5 vs. GS4?

6th July 2014, 12:41 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
11 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2014
I was wondering if anyone who has both the GS5 and the GS4 has compared the accuracy of their GPS positioning using something like Google Maps to determine if either is closer to the actual position as shown on Maps? My GS4 doesn't seem to indicate any closer than about 30-40 feet of my actual position under a clear sky. This is sometimes a problem when driving along the freeway where there is a street running parallel, and Navigation tells me to make a turn where there is none, and vice versa. I am thinking about upgrading to the GS5, and was wondering if there is an improvement in that unit's GPS system.
6th July 2014, 02:21 PM   |  #2  
ogremount's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 124
 
639 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
More
My neighbor has gs4 I have gs5. His accuracy is 10 to 5 metres. Mine often goes down to 3 metres. Also lock is faster.
Same with and without mobile data. No modification on both devices regarding gps.
6th July 2014, 06:31 PM   |  #3  
fffft's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 644
 
1,977 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamSirius

I was wondering if anyone who has both the GS5 and the GS4 has compared the accuracy of their GPS positioning using something like Google Maps to determine if either is closer to the actual position as shown on Maps? My GS4 doesn't seem to indicate any closer than about 30-40 feet of my actual position under a clear sky. This is sometimes a problem when driving along the freeway where there is a street running parallel, and Navigation tells me to make a turn where there is none, and vice versa. I am thinking about upgrading to the GS5, and was wondering if there is an improvement in that unit's GPS system.


The S5 processor, the Snapdragon 801 uses the gpsOneGen 8B GPS module. While the S4, I believe used the earlier 8A iteration. The S5 GPS is said to have faster locks and be capable of 2M accuracy as well as support for the Chinese constallation.

Keep in mind that performance is quite dependent on firmware, making even head to head comparisons challenging.

.
6th July 2014, 08:01 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
11 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogremount

My neighbor has gs4 I have gs5. His accuracy is 10 to 5 metres. Mine often goes down to 3 metres. Also lock is faster.
Same with and without mobile data. No modification on both devices regarding gps.

Seems like a worthwhile upgrade to me. Thanks.
6th July 2014, 08:06 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
11 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by fffft

The S5 processor, the Snapdragon 801 uses the gpsOneGen 8B GPS module. While the S4, I believe used the earlier 8A iteration. The S5 GPS is said to have faster locks and be capable of 2M accuracy as well as support for the Chinese constallation.

Keep in mind that performance is quite dependent on firmware, making even head to head comparisons challenging.

.

Good to know. Thanks for the info.
6th July 2014, 08:26 PM   |  #6  
gee2012's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Heerlen
Thanks Meter: 3,448
 
9,297 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
More
GPS is great, only 10 ft. (3 meters) discrepency.
6th July 2014, 08:41 PM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
11 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by gee2012

GPS is great, only 10 ft. (3 meters) discrepency.

Much better than the S4 I have now. Thanks.
7th July 2014, 03:40 AM   |  #8  
Brava27's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 178
 
956 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
More
I had the G2 and it was on a phone ever terrible. Worst gpa

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes