Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,060 Members 51,977 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

GPS accuracy in GS5 vs. GS4?

Tip us?

IamSirius
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default GPS accuracy in GS5 vs. GS4?

I was wondering if anyone who has both the GS5 and the GS4 has compared the accuracy of their GPS positioning using something like Google Maps to determine if either is closer to the actual position as shown on Maps? My GS4 doesn't seem to indicate any closer than about 30-40 feet of my actual position under a clear sky. This is sometimes a problem when driving along the freeway where there is a street running parallel, and Navigation tells me to make a turn where there is none, and vice versa. I am thinking about upgrading to the GS5, and was wondering if there is an improvement in that unit's GPS system.

ogremount
Old
Thanks Meter 116
My neighbor has gs4 I have gs5. His accuracy is 10 to 5 metres. Mine often goes down to 3 metres. Also lock is faster.
Same with and without mobile data. No modification on both devices regarding gps.
Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind

fffft
Old
Thanks Meter 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamSirius View Post
I was wondering if anyone who has both the GS5 and the GS4 has compared the accuracy of their GPS positioning using something like Google Maps to determine if either is closer to the actual position as shown on Maps? My GS4 doesn't seem to indicate any closer than about 30-40 feet of my actual position under a clear sky. This is sometimes a problem when driving along the freeway where there is a street running parallel, and Navigation tells me to make a turn where there is none, and vice versa. I am thinking about upgrading to the GS5, and was wondering if there is an improvement in that unit's GPS system.

The S5 processor, the Snapdragon 801 uses the gpsOneGen 8B GPS module. While the S4, I believe used the earlier 8A iteration. The S5 GPS is said to have faster locks and be capable of 2M accuracy as well as support for the Chinese constallation.

Keep in mind that performance is quite dependent on firmware, making even head to head comparisons challenging.

IamSirius
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogremount View Post
My neighbor has gs4 I have gs5. His accuracy is 10 to 5 metres. Mine often goes down to 3 metres. Also lock is faster.
Same with and without mobile data. No modification on both devices regarding gps.
Seems like a worthwhile upgrade to me. Thanks.

IamSirius
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by fffft View Post
The S5 processor, the Snapdragon 801 uses the gpsOneGen 8B GPS module. While the S4, I believe used the earlier 8A iteration. The S5 GPS is said to have faster locks and be capable of 2M accuracy as well as support for the Chinese constallation.

Keep in mind that performance is quite dependent on firmware, making even head to head comparisons challenging.

Good to know. Thanks for the info.

gee2012
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,005
GPS is great, only 10 ft. (3 meters) discrepency.
USE Search: /this thread /all threads/Google before posting your question, you`re most likely not the first one having this issue
Unofficial elelinux/albinoman CM 11.0 (4.4.4) Ktoonsez KT kernel

IamSirius
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gee2012 View Post
GPS is great, only 10 ft. (3 meters) discrepency.
Much better than the S4 I have now. Thanks.

Brava27
Old
Thanks Meter 113
I had the G2 and it was on a phone ever terrible. Worst gpa

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Telus Galaxy S5
HTC M8, LG G2, Note 3, Note 2, Galaxy S4, Galaxy S3, Blackberry Torch 9810, Blackberry Bold 9700, Blackberry Tour 9630, iDEN Motorola i800, i790, etc, Motorola Pebble, Nokia 6000, Motorola StarTak
Telus
Toronto, Canada