GPS accuracy in GS5 vs. GS4?

OP IamSirius

6th July 2014, 12:41 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
I was wondering if anyone who has both the GS5 and the GS4 has compared the accuracy of their GPS positioning using something like Google Maps to determine if either is closer to the actual position as shown on Maps? My GS4 doesn't seem to indicate any closer than about 30-40 feet of my actual position under a clear sky. This is sometimes a problem when driving along the freeway where there is a street running parallel, and Navigation tells me to make a turn where there is none, and vice versa. I am thinking about upgrading to the GS5, and was wondering if there is an improvement in that unit's GPS system.
6th July 2014, 02:21 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 118

626 posts
More
My neighbor has gs4 I have gs5. His accuracy is 10 to 5 metres. Mine often goes down to 3 metres. Also lock is faster.
Same with and without mobile data. No modification on both devices regarding gps.
6th July 2014, 06:31 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 538

1,824 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamSirius

I was wondering if anyone who has both the GS5 and the GS4 has compared the accuracy of their GPS positioning using something like Google Maps to determine if either is closer to the actual position as shown on Maps? My GS4 doesn't seem to indicate any closer than about 30-40 feet of my actual position under a clear sky. This is sometimes a problem when driving along the freeway where there is a street running parallel, and Navigation tells me to make a turn where there is none, and vice versa. I am thinking about upgrading to the GS5, and was wondering if there is an improvement in that unit's GPS system.

The S5 processor, the Snapdragon 801 uses the gpsOneGen 8B GPS module. While the S4, I believe used the earlier 8A iteration. The S5 GPS is said to have faster locks and be capable of 2M accuracy as well as support for the Chinese constallation.

Keep in mind that performance is quite dependent on firmware, making even head to head comparisons challenging.

6th July 2014, 08:01 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogremount

My neighbor has gs4 I have gs5. His accuracy is 10 to 5 metres. Mine often goes down to 3 metres. Also lock is faster.
Same with and without mobile data. No modification on both devices regarding gps.

Seems like a worthwhile upgrade to me. Thanks.
6th July 2014, 08:06 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fffft

The S5 processor, the Snapdragon 801 uses the gpsOneGen 8B GPS module. While the S4, I believe used the earlier 8A iteration. The S5 GPS is said to have faster locks and be capable of 2M accuracy as well as support for the Chinese constallation.

Keep in mind that performance is quite dependent on firmware, making even head to head comparisons challenging.

Good to know. Thanks for the info.
6th July 2014, 08:26 PM   |  #6  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Heerlen
Thanks Meter: 3,140

8,548 posts
More
GPS is great, only 10 ft. (3 meters) discrepency.
6th July 2014, 08:41 PM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gee2012

GPS is great, only 10 ft. (3 meters) discrepency.

Much better than the S4 I have now. Thanks.
7th July 2014, 03:40 AM   |  #8  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 128

725 posts
More
I had the G2 and it was on a phone ever terrible. Worst gpa

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread