Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,636 Members 52,366 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

GPS calibration.

Tip us?

suchiqaz
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Default GPS calibration.

Maps of my Galaxy s5 shows me to be in a place 3 kms away from where i am actually when I am indoors though the problem disappears once I am out in the open. Indoors GPS status is attached.
Is there a way where you can calibrate GPS?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-12 13.10.05.png
Views:	53
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	2848697  

fffft
Old
Thanks Meter 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by suchiqaz View Post
Maps of my Galaxy s5 shows me to be in a place 3 kms away from where i am actually when I am indoors though the problem disappears once I am out in the open. Indoors GPS status is attached.
Is there a way where you can calibrate GPS?
It isn't clear that you understand how GPS works. GPS only works when you have line of sight to satellites.. meaning GPS only works outside. Well maybe it will work in a tent but basically GPS will not work through walls. When you are indoors, your position is being fixed by geolocating your IP address or by referencing nearby cellular towers and is consequently much less accurate than GPS.

There are some apps that will let you do a manual correction and there are commercial systems that use secondary RF triangulation that is much more accurate than you are describing - but I haven't looked to see if that technology has shown up in android apps yet. In short, realize that indoor positioning is inherently less accurate than GPS. But a few apps will let you correct indoor position results (this is an offset, not a true calibration). And indoor accuracy is improving as apps become more sophisticated and in particular gain access to secondary landmark datastreams.

suchiqaz
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fffft View Post
It isn't clear that you understand how GPS works. GPS only works when you have line of sight to satellites.. meaning GPS only works outside. Well maybe it will work in a tent but basically GPS will not work through walls. When you are indoors, your position is being fixed by geolocating your IP address or by referencing nearby cellular towers and is consequently much less accurate than GPS.

There are some apps that will let you do a manual correction and there are commercial systems that use secondary RF triangulation that is much more accurate than you are describing - but I haven't looked to see if that technology has shown up in android apps yet. In short, realize that indoor positioning is inherently less accurate than GPS. But a few apps will let you correct indoor position results (this is an offset, not a true calibration). And indoor accuracy is improving as apps become more sophisticated and in particular gain access to secondary landmark datastreams.

Well, 1.earlier my Galaxy S2 used to work flawlessly from the same point. 2. From the GPS status it is clear that 18 satellites are in view and 14 of them are in touch with the phone at the exactly same point. 3. a few meter diff. is alright when I am indoors but a difference of 3 Kilometers is what that is causing all the worry. Anyway thanks for your interest.

pr1vate piles
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by suchiqaz View Post
Well, 1.earlier my Galaxy S2 used to work flawlessly from the same point. 2. From the GPS status it is clear that 18 satellites are in view and 14 of them are in touch with the phone at the exactly same point. 3. a few meter diff. is alright when I am indoors but a difference of 3 Kilometers is what that is causing all the worry. Anyway thanks for your interest.
Never had any decent GPS coverage when indoors. If your S2 managed to work well then i'd say you were lucky. Maybe grab a map so you don't get lost indoor ha ha.
Motorola Xoom WiFi - Retired with honours

Samsung Galaxy S III
Jellybean 4.3 - Retired July 2014

Samsung Galaxy S 5
100% stock.