Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,035 Members 41,979 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Help with update

Tip us?

deathadder7
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Unhappy [Q] Help with update

So I'm in a bit of a pickle. You see my phone is rooted and I was typing and all of a sudden a popup said to update blah blah blah, accidently I clicked yes and it did it's system update. Now it says Andriod is Upgrading. What I want to know is, will I still have root, and will be bricked after it's updating??

gee2012
Old
(Last edited by gee2012; 7th August 2014 at 04:04 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathadder7 View Post
So I'm in a bit of a pickle. You see my phone is rooted and I was typing and all of a sudden a popup said to update blah blah blah, accidently I clicked yes and it did it's system update. Now it says Andriod is Upgrading. What I want to know is, will I still have root, and will be bricked after it's updating??
You will only loose root after an OTA upgrade, just reflash the older rom like NE2 with Odin, data factory reset and reroot with Towelroot. After that you can flash the OTA if it comes and keep root if you have superSU Pro installed and have Root survival enabled. Don`t change superSU to a system app or the OTA will not install.
USE Search: /this thread /all threads/Google before posting your question, you`re most likely not the first one having this issue

deathadder7
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gee2012 View Post
You will only loose root after an OTA upgrade, just reflash the older rom like NE2 with Odin, data factory reset and reroot with Towelroot. After that you can flash the OTA if it comes and keep root if you have superSU Pro installed and have Root survival enabled. Don`t change superSU to a system app or the OTA will not install.
Alright, where should I get the rom? Sorry haven't really flashed anything... is there a video tutorial you can show me?

gee2012
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,057
Quote:
Alright, where should I get the rom? Sorry haven't really flashed anything... is there a video tutorial you can show me?
Sammobile.com, look here for a tut. http://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&rct=j&...72676100,d.ZWU. Good luck.
USE Search: /this thread /all threads/Google before posting your question, you`re most likely not the first one having this issue
The Following User Says Thank You to gee2012 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

deathadder7
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Sammobile.com, look here for a tut. http://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&rct=j&...72676100,d.ZWU. Good luck.
Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to deathadder7 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gee2012
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,057
Quote:
Thanks!
You`re welcome, next time just press the thanks button

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

Quote:
Thanks!
Thanks, but once is enough
The Following User Says Thank You to gee2012 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

deathadder7
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
You`re welcome, next time just press the thanks button
Just a quick question. Will doing this wipe out all of my things on my phone. I heard in the video that you need to make a backup, but it seems you can only do that rooted.

gee2012
Old
(Last edited by gee2012; 7th August 2014 at 04:50 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,057
Quote:
Just a quick question. Will doing this wipe out all of my things on my phone. I heard in the video that you need to make a backup, but it seems you can only do that rooted.
Helium (Premium) (in Google Play) can backup and restore the apps and data of all installed apps and you don`t need root for that. I use it mself and its very good imo.

deathadder7
Old
(Last edited by deathadder7; 7th August 2014 at 04:41 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Helium (Pro) (in Google Play) can backup the apps and data of all installed apps and you don`t need root for that. I use it mself and its very good imo.
Alright! I notice though whenever I turn on my galaxy s5 on it says andriod is upgrading and that it's installing apps... is this normal?

gee2012
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,057
Quote:
Alright! I notice though whenever I turn on my galaxy s5 on it says andriod is upgrading and that it's installing apps... is this normal?
Yes, it is installing specific apps for your model/carrier.