steps i tried

reflashing
turning off sound zoom
turning on airplane mode to disable radio

anyone else?

Sent from my SM-G900F using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
I wouldn't even try to guess until you provide a reasonable amount of information about your situation. How do you expect us to narrow anything down without any clues?

Where is a sample video clip or even a decent description of the hiss? Tell us under what conditions this occurs, e.g. only on quiet environments, randomly, always, etc. Does it change when you change video quality settings, internal, external mike? What model phone, firmware version and anything else that appears even remotely relevant.

Xxul

Jun 28, 2011
oki. ill upload a sample. it occurs under all circumstances, phone is pure stock so camera app and all is out of the box

Xxul

Jun 28, 2011
screened

Attachments

• 1408435756298.jpg
    1408435756298.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 85

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
That seems to be a musical selection.. so how to tell what is part of the unknown music track and what is hiss? Better would have been recording the quietest environment you could find. Or if the hiss only shows up when recording something, then play a recorded music track. And provide both the phone recording and the original music track so that it can be, more or less, subtracted or distinguished from the hiss.

It would help if the track didn't have interfering music or if you tried recording in quiet, moderate, loud environments, impulse sounds, etc with comments on whether the hiss varies under various conditions. At a guess it's the aggressive ALC (auto level control) when you record with the internal (?) mike. So when there is a quiet part in the music, the ALC cranks up the gain and the noise from the phone circuit becomes more apparent. On that theory it would be good to know if using an external mike alleviates the problem or not.

If it is an ALC problem.. there isn't much that you can do about it.. other than consider using an external mike.. not recording in quiet locations, which could be difficult.. or hope that someone disassembles and tames the ALC.

Reactions: darkerr9

darkerr9

Apr 11, 2015
I have the same problem. Even returned my phone to the service and they did smth to the mic, maybe even replaced it. But my problem is still there. Search for check out 'hissing 001' video on youtube, i have uploaded a sampleml. they said they tried recording videos with two other samsung fives, and they all had hissing problems. But i just cant accept that a quality phone like thos has an amateur error like this... for others, sound recording sounds just fine. What can I do?

kan555

Dec 30, 2009
Oklahoma City
I'm having the same problem. Not sure when it started but now the hissing sound happens most of the time when I recorded videos. Recording voice through an app doesn't create any hissing sound. Anyone can provide anything we can try? TIA.

Last edited:

darkerr9

Apr 11, 2015
I'm having the same problem. Not sure when it started but now the hissing sound happens most of the time when I recorded videos. Recording voice through an app doesn't create any hissing sound. Anyone can provide anything we can try? TIA.

I just got my device back from service, and I have to say they did something to it, because now the mic works PERFECT, without hissing whatsoever.
IT could be sw related problem, but i strongly believe they gave me a brand new mic.

good luck! :)

kan555

Dec 30, 2009
Oklahoma City
I just got my device back from service, and I have to say they did something to it, because now the mic works PERFECT, without hissing whatsoever.
IT could be sw related problem, but i strongly believe they gave me a brand new mic.

good luck! :)

Thanks for the update Darkerr9. I'm tempted to replace the mic by myself but not so confident I can handle it. Watched how to do it on youtube and will cost me around $25 for the parts. I still think it's software related issue since when recording just voice, it works perfectly. No white noise or anything. ... hmmm.. what to do..?

darkerr9

Apr 11, 2015
Thanks for the update Darkerr9. I'm tempted to replace the mic by myself but not so confident I can handle it. Watched how to do it on youtube and will cost me around $25 for the parts. I still think it's software related issue since when recording just voice, it works perfectly. No white noise or anything. ... hmmm.. what to do..?

Ah, I see. Well I still had my warranty so they did it for free. And remember, the 1st time they (another service) tried to fix this, they failed to do so. I guess I got lucky now... voice recording quality is poorer, so that doesnt count imo :):) btw if you use your headset mic, you will see (hear) that the problem is fixed..

Dewal

May 5, 2013
Hi everyone. I have the same problem and it's very frustrating. I don't have a solution BUT I know the reason why it's hissing :). It's not the microphone! When I record only audio with both microphones it's all OK. The problem occurs when front cam is on! When my girlfriend close up the phone to her ear she heard that awful sound (hissing). So the camera make that noise. Top mic is very close to the cam so mic gets that noise. Try to hear very closely to the cam and check if you have the same noise from cam.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    That seems to be a musical selection.. so how to tell what is part of the unknown music track and what is hiss? Better would have been recording the quietest environment you could find. Or if the hiss only shows up when recording something, then play a recorded music track. And provide both the phone recording and the original music track so that it can be, more or less, subtracted or distinguished from the hiss.

It would help if the track didn't have interfering music or if you tried recording in quiet, moderate, loud environments, impulse sounds, etc with comments on whether the hiss varies under various conditions. At a guess it's the aggressive ALC (auto level control) when you record with the internal (?) mike. So when there is a quiet part in the music, the ALC cranks up the gain and the noise from the phone circuit becomes more apparent. On that theory it would be good to know if using an external mike alleviates the problem or not.

If it is an ALC problem.. there isn't much that you can do about it.. other than consider using an external mike.. not recording in quiet locations, which could be difficult.. or hope that someone disassembles and tames the ALC.