Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,979 Members 46,655 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Kill com.samsung.android.intelligenceservice

Tip us?

kgyirhj
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 28
Plug Kill com.samsung.android.intelligenceservice

Can I kill this service and it's startup?
Intelligence Service
com.samsung.android.intelligenceservice

What does it really do?

fffft
Old
Thanks Meter 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgyirhj View Post

What does it really do?

Well it could be
1) A surveillance monitor for the Carrier IQ package that the NSA has had carriers install on 300 million phones
2) A training aid for would be Mensa members
3) Some random Samsung service that isn't on my S5

You didn't give us any details or context, so it's difficult to say what the service does. It isn't on my S5 so it's not universal. It may be regional, carrier specific or some Samsung bloatware that doesn't live on my phone anymore.

You can kill the process, which will cause something to quit working. Probably nothing critical but it's hard to be certain when we don't know what it does. If you have xPrivacy, see what permissions it asks for. Otberwise you could just freeze or disable it and see what effect it has on your phone.

If you tell us what firmware version and carrier you use, perhaps someone else who uses the same firmware /carrier will comment.

gee2012
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2809
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgyirhj View Post
Can I kill this service and it's startup?
Intelligence Service

What does it really do?
It checks the IQ of the user. The phone shuts down below 90. Mine does not boot anymore 😊

Sent from my SM-G900F using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
USE Search: /this thread /all threads/Google before posting your question, you`re most likely not the first one having this issue

kgyirhj
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by fffft View Post
Well it could be
1) A surveillance monitor for the Carrier IQ package that the NSA has had carriers install on 300 million phones
2) A training aid for would be Mensa members
3) Some random Samsung service that isn't on my S5

You didn't give us any details or context, so it's difficult to say what the service does. It isn't on my S5 so it's not universal. It may be regional, carrier specific or some Samsung bloatware that doesn't live on my phone anymore.

You can kill the process, which will cause something to quit working. Probably nothing critical but it's hard to be certain when we don't know what it does. If you have xPrivacy, see what permissions it asks for. Otberwise you could just freeze or disable it and see what effect it has on your phone.

If you tell us what firmware version and carrier you use, perhaps someone else who uses the same firmware /carrier will comment.

All I know about this service is what I have written here.
It's name is "intelligence service"
and the file is com.samsung.android.intelligenceservice

The reason I started this thread is to get more infomration about what this is as google search does not give much about it.
Phone is SM-G900F

I found some new info using another program to monitor services..

"Receiver
com.samsung.android.intelligenceservice.useranalysis.UserAnalysisBroadcastReceiver handels action android.intent.action.BOOT_COMPLETED with priority 0"

And a second one also named "intelligence service"
"com.samsung.android.intelligenceservice.useranalysis.analyzer.CarAnalyzer handels action android.intent.action.BOOT_COMPLETED with priority 0"

fffft
Old
Thanks Meter 260
This service isn't on my phone. And as you said, a cursory Google search doesn't tell us much, so we can't tell you anything about it either. Unless you, or someone else that has it provides more information.

At a guess it's just part of some Samsung bloatware. If you disable it, then the associated bloatware app will stop working. If you want to learn more, then look at xprivacy, a root enabled file browser or perhaps Settings > Applications > App ops and find out what app (apk) the service originates from. Then post the apk or at least provide the app's name and what permissions it asks for.

fffft
Old
Thanks Meter 260
And the winning entry is..

I had a few minutes to spare, so I did a proper Google search. The upshot of which is that a lot of people claim that this is a Carrier IQ component. So the service is aptly named. Carrier IQ is a spyware rootkit installed by Verizon, Sprint, etc to capture extensive demographics on what you do with your phone, including keystoke logging. For the carrier to serve you better of course. Or to help the NSA spy on you, depending on who you choose to believe.

Invasive in either scenario, which is why it isn't on my phone.
More reading if you are interested:

http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...-all-evil-ciq/
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2266241&page=2
http://goo.gl/td1w4n
https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/post/5233323/2639029999