Sony to Extend its AOSP Program to Other Devices

Sony will be offering its users the possibility to use AOSP ROMs as an alternative to the … more

Project Ara Smartphone Will Run Modified Android L with Hot Swapping

Project Ara is a very exciting topic–both for hardware and … more

Streamline Android Theme Customization with Graphic Porter

I dont have a custom theme on my Android phone, and the reason for this is because … more

Boost the Brightness of Your Sony Xperia Z1’s LED

I think the last time anyone has ever used a physical torch to find their earphones, … more

[Q] Does Knox really lock radio updates?

4th September 2014, 11:40 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Brighton
Thanks Meter: 79

1,385 posts
More
Hi

I'm not overly fussed if Knox is tripped or not. What I do want to know though, is if its true that radio updates can't be applied once its tripped?

Cheers
5th September 2014, 12:39 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 458

1,639 posts
Why would you think this? I can't think of an obvious rationale for Samsung doing that.

In the narrow sense of whether 0x1 would prevent an automatic OTA update.. I don't know. I've never had reason to suspect or look into that. I can tell you that you can manually update the radio with a 0x1 flag.

5th September 2014, 12:41 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Brighton

1,385 posts
More
That's what i figured.

I was reading one of the rooting threads and someone was saying that once he had 0x1 he always get a secure error when trying to flash the radio.

If it's fine then I'll just CF Autoroot rather than fussing with towelroot
5th September 2014, 01:14 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 2

15 posts
What is radio ?
5th September 2014, 03:51 AM   |  #5  

1,639 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMathMan

That's what i figured.
I was reading one of the rooting threads and someone was saying that once he had 0x1 he always get a secure error when trying to flash the radio.

If it's fine then I'll just CF Autoroot rather than fussing with towelroot

I think he must be confused about the changes that occurred with the 4.3+ OS. The bootloader after 4.3 is more restrictive and will sometimes balk at flashing a radio, but it does so for both 0x0 and 0x1 flags, so it's a moot point. The workaround to that is, if necessary, is to flash a full firmware image which will succeed in updating the radio even with a 0x1 flag.

He probably incremented his Knox flag right around the time 4.3 came out and doesn't realize what is really going on. That behaviour i.e. bootloader authorization failures appears to vary by carrier and radio version FWIW. But again, in the worst case, you can still update your radio by flashing a full firmware image.

You could preserve your Knox flag by using Towel root. But you wouldn't be able to use a custom recovery or kernel without incrementing the flag and I for one would not give up either.

The only things that the flag really effect are the secure storage feature that few use and the supposed effect on your warranty. But it's usually Samsung direct trying to deny a warranty claim due to a 0x1 flag. Most carriers don't care about Knox, so claims made through carriers are typically unaffected. And Samsung can't enforce that prejudice in the EU either.

@pratto
The radio (aka modem) is the firmware component that enables your phone to communicate with the carrier's network.

5th September 2014, 06:57 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Brighton

1,385 posts
More
Cheers for the info. I'm in the UK so root I will
5th September 2014, 06:58 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Brighton

1,385 posts
More
I'm only after root for the Folder Mount app.
5th September 2014, 07:29 PM   |  #8  

1,639 posts
I preferred this method of effectively swapping the external and internal SD cards myself. But either way, I'm sure that you will find root useful.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread