Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,687 Members 41,057 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Mobile ODIN Pro - Installing TWRP, Reactivation Lock...

Tip us?

zmag
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 77
Default [Q] Mobile ODIN Pro - Installing TWRP, Reactivation Lock...

Hey XDA,

I'm about to install TWRP via Mobile ODIN Pro (v4.20) and I have a few questions.

1.) It says it will trip KNOX, but when I installed SuperSU I have successfully disabled KNOX. Does this mean that even if I install TWRP recovery, KNOX still won't be tripped?

2.) Can someone point me to a link on how to install TWRP step by step via Mobile ODIN? (I found one that shows how to install FlipZ Custom CWM, but I'd like one for TWRP) I need the latest TWRP version link also.

2.5) Can the stock recovery make nandroids? I'd like to make a nandroid before flashing TWRP, but if I cant it's no big deal. (Again, just wondering, but I still want TWRP)

I just want to do this right so I can make a nandroid backup. I am already familiar with TWRP from my HTC Evo 4G LTE, so im not interested in CWM.

FYI: I am on the stock ND2 rom - G900P (Sprint) - KOT49H.G900PVPU1AND2 - (if that helps you)

Thanks in advance! - zmag

verny94
Old
Thanks Meter 73
Ad 1. Custom recovery trip Knox to 0x1 = loose waranty for motherboard
Ad 2.5 No.. Only custom recovery
Samsung Galaxy SIII
Omega ROM (4.3) v59; Boeffla kernel 5.3; TWRP recovery; Nova launcher Prime; S5 theme; Xposed
Hit a thanks button, when I helped you

fffft
Old
Thanks Meter 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmag
It says it will trip KNOX, but when I installed SuperSU I have successfully disabled KNOX. Does this mean that even if I install TWRP recovery, KNOX still won't be tripped?

You have not successfully disabled Knox and as you already know, installing a custom recovery like TWRP will increment the Knox flag.

No, the stock recovery cannot make a full backup. That is one of the primary benefits of TWRP. Your best backup alternative given a stock recovery would be Titanium Pro, which isn't nearly as good as TWRP. After you install TWRP you can make a full backup.

The only obvious way to make something resembling a Nandroid without a custom recovery would be to use the dd command from the command line and back up each partition.

You were just telling me in another thread how you always do forum searches. It's not hard to find numerous Odin tutorials if you search.

chwads2k8
Old
Thanks Meter 41
just get img file of stock recovery so u can flash back if u need best way. u can make backup with twrp then when you restore u just got to flash stock img ir tar of recovery
Tags
galaxy s5, galaxy s5 recovery, recovery, sgs5, twrp