Welcome to the New XDA-Developers Portal!

You may recall that a few weeks ago, we opened up the XDA-2015 forum themesto intrepid users … more

An Android Enthusiast’s Apple iPhone 6 Challenge

The media has gone batty again over Apple “revolutionizing” smartphones. … more

Sony to Extend its AOSP Program to Other Devices

Sony will be offering its users the possibility to use AOSP ROMs as an alternative to the … more

Project Ara: Modified Android L and Hot Swapping

Project Ara is a very exciting topic–both for hardware and software enthusiasts. The … more

MTP driver not installing...

21st July 2014, 01:15 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

11 posts
Hi there,

I recently was going to install a new rom on my phone... I ended up doing a system restore on settings... And now the phone will not update the MTP driver, I tried it on another computer nothing so far. It also wiped my back up file in recovery!

I also tried going into the registry do to the "UPPERFILTERS" fix but it did not work for me!

Any suggestions on how I can somehow fix this!

Thanks.
21st July 2014, 02:55 AM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member

11 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZishanMohiuddin

Hi there,

I recently was going to install a new rom on my phone... I ended up doing a system restore on settings... And now the phone will not update the MTP driver, I tried it on another computer nothing so far. It also wiped my back up file in recovery!

I also tried going into the registry do to the "UPPERFILTERS" fix but it did not work for me!

Any suggestions on how I can somehow fix this!

Thanks.

anyone?
21st July 2014, 03:45 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

11 posts
reflash with odin does it reset philzrecovery?
I am about to reset my phone with odin as I cant connect the USB, the recovery will still be there after?
21st July 2014, 04:06 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 458

1,639 posts
Quote:

the phone will not update the MTP driver

The phone won't update the MTP driver? You must mean PC. I can only assume that you are allergic to Google searches as good solutions are easily found.

Google search: reinstall MTP driver

Try disabling WMP temporarily as it often interferes. And if necessary you can remove the previous driver install in the registry. There are often two entries, one under HKLM and another under HKCU.

Quote:

I am about to reset my phone with odin as I cant connect the USB, the recovery will still be there after?

That depends on what you do with Odin. If you flash a full firmware, only your user files in the /data partition will persist. Your recovery would be wiped.

And a factory reset would delete user files.

Last edited by fffft; 21st July 2014 at 05:17 AM.
21st July 2014, 04:18 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

11 posts
[QUOTE=fffft;54291350]The phone won't update the MTP driver? You must mean PC. I can only assume that you are allergic to Google searches as good solutions are easily found.

[url="http://goo.gl/cBxm1Z]Google search: reinstall MTP driver[/url]

Try disabling WMP temporarily as it often interferes. And if necessary you can remove the previous driver install in the registry. There are often two entries, one under HKLM and another under HKCU.

.[COLOR="Silver"]

The link you provided didn't work. Could you provide me with a step by step guide. I tried two steps using the registry and watched various videos it didn't help. I am very new to this lol.

how do you remove previous driver driver?

if does not work, I got firmware files from sammobile to unbrick. Would my own back up from Philz be able to be used by odin?
21st July 2014, 05:48 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 458

1,639 posts
Quote:

The link you provided didn't work.

The link worked in the post preview, but XDA likes to automerge posts and apparently that broke the hyperlink as well. I've fixed the link. But all you would have had to do was copy and paste the link.

That concerns me because if you don't notice /can't correct a minor formatting error in a link then your phone is at substantial risk. What I mean is that Odin is dangerous if you don't pay close attention to details. Be careful.

It's not hard to reinstall a driver. Just uninstall the old driver and realize that WMP can interfere with the reinstallation. If only a step by step guide will do, you will find lots of spoonfed guides in the Google search results.

I don't use Philz, I find TWRP to be much better. But I doubt that you could use Odin to restore a Philz backup. You'd need to reinstall Philz. Then restore your backup from recovery mode.

21st July 2014, 06:07 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

11 posts
Decided to re-flash stock rom using odin with recovery file from sam-mobile website and up and running again. Thanks for help anyways!
22nd July 2014, 08:02 AM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member

11 posts
.[COLOR="Silver"]

The link you provided didn't work. Could you provide me with a step by step guide. I tried two steps using the registry and watched various videos it didn't help. I am very new to this lol.

how do you remove previous driver driver?

if does not work, I got firmware files from sammobile to unbrick. Would my own back up from Philz be able to be used by odin?[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by fffft

The link worked in the post preview, but XDA likes to automerge posts and apparently that broke the hyperlink as well. I've fixed the link. But all you would have had to do was copy and paste the link.

That concerns me because if you don't notice /can't correct a minor formatting error in a link then your phone is at substantial risk. What I mean is that Odin is dangerous if you don't pay close attention to details. Be careful.

It's not hard to reinstall a driver. Just uninstall the old driver and realize that WMP can interfere with the reinstallation. If only a step by step guide will do, you will find lots of spoonfed guides in the Google search results.

I don't use Philz, I find TWRP to be much better. But I doubt that you could use Odin to restore a Philz backup. You'd need to reinstall Philz. Then restore your backup from recovery mode.

I did check out your hyperlink lol I just googled searched it. I thought you sent a link not a google search. I went into three different step by step guides regarding the issue, it was just one of those days where basics things just didn't work out lol.

I got fed up so I did I ended up doing a full recovery I just wanted to avoid that process since I know there was a simpler method.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread