Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

The Ntelos S5

12th November 2014, 01:51 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2

6 posts
I have an ntelos S5 (G900R7). There is no development for this phone anywhere on the internet. Perhaps I can find support here?

---------
So far (you may skip this part):
I have managed to successfully install Spirit Rom with full functionality, by copying my old build.prop into the system directory, and restoring my previous apn settings using the apnsbu. I forget why I left this rom, but I did. Everything I try has some problem! I then proceeded to try just CM11, by itself, and had 3g difficulties. Then, using Kushman's sprint MIUI, (Ntelos shares sprint towers) things seemed to work right, but it remapped my recent app key to menu... (perhaps I can map it back?) and the volume was not controlled by my physical volume buttons.
-----------
Now my favorite rom so far: Mokee Rom It's fast and visually pleasing, but I have wi-fi and phone difficulties.
After imposing my APN settings, I can reproduce these effects:
(1) Before replacing build.prop, the wi-fi works and can be enabled or disabled as I need. Also, 3g works very well at nice speeds, but it says "Verizon Wireless" underneath the 3g indicator bars. However, I cannot make calls. If I attempt to do so, the 3g data stops working, turns orange, and no longer says "3g". If I do this, then no data can be transmitted or received.
(2) After Replacing build.prop with the "good original" copy (which sometimes fixes similar problems in other custom roms) the wi-fi becomes stuck in a constant state of "turning wi-fi on..." but never turns on. 3g still works, but, as in part (1), it will break if I try to make a call.'' Also, in this case it says "Sprint" instead of "Verizon Wireless"

Does any one have advice, or perhaps some build.prop settings to modify? Or maybe there's a different file that would help. Again, my phone is the SM G900R7. Has someone else with this phone had luck customizing it?

Thank you
Last edited by caezec; 13th November 2014 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Clarity
19th November 2014, 01:14 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 27

72 posts
Smile nTelos S5
Likewise have a nTelos S5, have not found any custom roms that can successfully be installed without data or phone issues.
Also trying to install any ASOP roms resulted with all phone efs data getting cleared.
Upon searched relentlessly the only rom I found that functions is located at
http://teamcspire.com/index.php?/top...odexed-101814/
its very stock but functions flawlessly for me.
Advise if you have any luck, I will reciprocate.
19th November 2014, 01:31 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2

6 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doby-nut

Likewise have a nTelos S5, have not found any custom roms that can successfully be installed without data or phone issues.
Also trying to install any ASOP roms resulted with all phone efs data getting cleared.
Upon searched relentlessly the only rom I found that functions is located at
http://teamcspire.com/index.php?/top...odexed-101814/
its very stock but functions flawlessly for me.
Advise if you have any luck, I will reciprocate.

My advice is to you, is that if you install Mokee rom, do not update it with OTA update. This is what I think broke the network for me. Even after restoring my phone to factory conditions and using Kies, I still had no network. I ended up going to the nTelos store, where they had to reset the network service for my phone on their end... strange.

Anyway, I have made a few roms work, and I suspect I could make more. If you maintain your apn settings, and build.prop, you should be able to make Spirit rom work. The same thing is true for Miui. However, if I remember from my experience correctly, if you do install Miui, then I THINK you should not restore your original build.prop; it may work without it... just restore the apn settings. When you do this, you may have to change the preferred network mode... I am a little freaked out, after my previous experience with Mokee rom, to mess with this any longer, though. I do have a problem with Spirit rom: if I use the Timely alarm clock, the time panel is miscolored, but I believe that could possibly? be fixed by flashing a different kernel. I plan on flashing Spirit tonight.... stock uses up my battery too fast, and Spirit just feels more responsive.

EDIT: I just re-flashed Spirit Rom, and they fixed the discoloration in the most recent version! Also, as before, my 3g and WiFi work fine.
Last edited by caezec; 19th November 2014 at 01:52 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to caezec For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th December 2014, 07:12 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 0

8 posts
Took me days...
The CSpire shares the model number and ROM. The US Cellular CM11 is the closest. Somewhere in that I lost my ability to send texts (not sure if it's the SMSC or...) and didn't get it back when I ODIN'd to stock. I would LOVE to have CM support for this model.
31st January 2015, 02:28 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 46

239 posts
I also am in the same boat as you guys. I would love to get another reliable ROM on this phone. I just have bad memories of purchasing my last one (Sprint GS3) from ebay, and having one hell of a time making the MMS work after flashing it for nTelos. However, I never did have to mess with any of the APNs or build.prop settings on that one. I would think the Sprint ROMs should be the closest compatible ROM, being that nTelos and Sprint do share towers in WVa and Va (Sprint actually has zero towers in these states, and leases nTelos towers instead).

Is using EFS Backup by Wanam a good method to insure the EFS does not get screwed up?[COLOR="Silver"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by caezec

(1) Before replacing build.prop, the wi-fi works and can be enabled or disabled as I need. Also, 3g works very well at nice speeds, but it says "Verizon Wireless" underneath the 3g indicator bars. However, I cannot make calls. If I attempt to do so, the 3g data stops working, turns orange, and no longer says "3g". If I do this, then no data can be transmitted or received.
(2) After Replacing build.prop with the "good original" copy (which sometimes fixes similar problems in other custom roms) the wi-fi becomes stuck in a constant state of "turning wi-fi on..." but never turns on. 3g still works, but, as in part (1), it will break if I try to make a call.'' Also, in this case it says "Sprint" instead of "Verizon Wireless"

You might try saving out your wpa_supplicant file from the stock ROM and replacing it on the flashed ROM. This has worked for me before on my GS3. That might take care of the wifi anyway.
10th March 2015, 05:26 PM   |  #6  
lynchburg va
Thanks Meter: 49

140 posts
More
I'm also on ntelos with the s5 now. But it is a us cellular unlocked by them phone. Stuck in a ntelos sim card that I bought from store and everything works. Except 4g. I can live w/o it but it's kinda like a puzzle now. How could I enable this to work on ntelos?
16th March 2015, 04:21 AM   |  #7  

239 posts
Depending on where you are, ntelos does not have 4G in many places yet. It's still very spotty in West Virginia.
Today, 02:40 AM   |  #8  

239 posts
Has anyone taken the OTA Lollipop update? If so, how is it working and does it lock or put in a new bootloader?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread