Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,279 Members 53,182 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] OGG Files doesn't work anymore

Tip us?

DJC_SP
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Smile [Q] OGG Files doesn't work anymore

When I was in firmware NE2 I changed my OGG system sounds simply changing the files in system>media>ui with root explorer.

Now I upgraded to firmware NG5 and when I change the sound files I can't hear it anymore.

Any ideas?

fffft
Old
Thanks Meter 409
There doesn't appear to be anyone else reporting this yet, so it's probably just your phone. Try restoring your backup to confirm that it is the update and not something else that has changed or corrupted your file association.

Not making backups? Well that isn't a good habit. Try wiping the system cache from recovery mode. If you can see that a certain app tries to play the ogg file, then go to the application manager menu and click on "clear defaults" for that app. Or try using or installing a full featured audio player app and use it to set the ogg file association to an audio player. Or you could do the more drastic step of initializing all user settings by doing a factory data reset.

If all else fails and in the absence of a working backup then start over by writing a full stock, pre-update firmware image with Odin, followed by a factory data reset.

DJC_SP
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
fffft, Thanks for your reply.

Just to know that this issue is happening with 5 others friends that have the Galaxy S5.

Just 2 things more...
1. If I restore the original ogg file then it works well
2. If I restore back to the firmware NE2, than I can replace any ogg file and it works well also.

fffft
Old
Thanks Meter 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJC_SP View Post
f this issue is happening with 5 others friends that have the Galaxy S5.

Just 2 things more...
1. If I restore the original ogg file then it works well
2. If I restore back to the firmware NE2, than I can replace any ogg file and it works well also.

We don't hear reports of problems with anyone using standard sound files. Apparently only to your friends that are trying to manipulate your sound files. And all of you probably doing so in the identical way and incurring the same esoteric error.

It's not impossible to change sound files, but you haven't provided nearly enough information to do more than guess. It's probably a permissions issue or possibly your replacement sound files are formatted or use a codec that is incompatible with the newer firmware. Or any number of less likely reasons.

Unless you provide a lot more information about file versions, file permissions, verbatim error messages, links to before and after ogg files, a step by step and detailed description of how you tried to make the changes and so forth.. it's almost impossible to know what is going on.

DJC_SP
Old
(Last edited by DJC_SP; 3rd September 2014 at 12:32 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fffft View Post

Unless you provide a lot more information about file versions, file permissions, verbatim error messages, links to before and after ogg files, a step by step and detailed description of how you tried to make the changes and so forth.. it's almost impossible to know what is going on.

I agree when you say about permissions or file versions that work with the old firmware but not wit the new.

Do you know where I can find custom ogg files "S_HW_Touch.ogg" and "TW_Touch.ogg" to try with the new firmware?

Thanks again.

metalfan78
Old
Thanks Meter 1,640
You can try these, they work fine on my up to date sprint model

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t18q1vt8w7...Touch.ogg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yy44b9mk0v...Touch.ogg?dl=0

DJC_SP
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfan78 View Post

Thank you metalfan78... with your files I found the solution.

When I replace these files I need to set permissions to 0644. And, like magic, it works.

Thank you fffft, for your patience.
The Following User Says Thank You to DJC_SP For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

metalfan78
Old
Thanks Meter 1,640
Glad you got it figured out.

Tags
ogg, sound, system