Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,949 Members 43,675 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Is my phone defective (battery)

Tip us?

Grey Hawk
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Is my phone defective (battery)

Bought it almost a week ago and the main reason for switching from iPhone was the battery life was supposed to be jaw dropping.

I'm very disappointed. I have almost no non stock apps (just social media ones) and I'm not impressed. These results are actually some of the better ones. Usually I only get 2.5 hours of screen time.

GSAM pics

Apps that are non stock: Facebook, Reddit, Snapchat, Twitter, and Instagram.

Should I return it? I mean I also run with No location, no bluetooth, and brightness as low as it can go.

fffft
Old
Thanks Meter 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Hawk View Post
Should I return it?

If you have given up on the S5 period, sure. If you mean that you think your particular phone is defective, then no. There is no evidence whatever that your phone is defective. The S5 battery life is in fact very good. But like all things it varies because everyone uses their phones differently..

Your figures of 14 hours battery life (2.5 - 3.5 hours screen on) are on the low side for a S5, but hardly abysmal. If you do a bit of tweaking and update some apps or your firmware, I have no doubt that you could almost double that. Battery life is variable, depending on what apps you have installed and how you use your phone. Some apps like Skype or Tunein are notorious battery hogs. As is leaving wifi on when the wifi signal is weak or non existent.

Your post gives an impression of you having unrealistic expectations. Nevertheless, if you are still happy, then return it and get a different phone model. But there is nothing wrong with your handset and trying to exchange it for another S5 won't change anything. It just needs a bit of tweaking. If you play with the settings a bit you should be able to get ~ 20 hours, including 5 - 8 hours of screen time, rather than your current 14 /3. Use that as a benchmark for how you want to proceed.

If you want a better idea if you apps are the issue, then temporarily uninstall all of your third party apps. Then see what difference it makes running only stock apps for one day.

S5 battery stats thread

Grey Hawk
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by fffft View Post
If you have given up on the S5 period, sure. If you mean that you think your particular phone is defective, then no. There is no evidence whatever that your phone is defective. The S5 battery life is in fact very good. But like all things it varies because everyone uses their phones differently..

Your figures of 14 hours battery life (2.5 - 3.5 hours screen on) are on the low side for a S5, but hardly abysmal. If you do a bit of tweaking and update some apps or your firmware, I have no doubt that you could almost double that. Battery life is variable, depending on what apps you have installed and how you use your phone. Some apps like Skype or Tunein are notorious battery hogs. As is leaving wifi on when the wifi signal is weak or non existent.

Your post gives an impression of you having unrealistic expectations. Nevertheless, if you are still happy, then return it and get a different phone model. But there is nothing wrong with your handset and trying to exchange it for another S5 won't change anything. It just needs a bit of tweaking. If you play with the settings a bit you should be able to get ~ 20 hours, including 5 - 8 hours of screen time, rather than your current 14 /3. Use that as a benchmark for how you want to proceed.

If you want a better idea if you apps are the issue, then temporarily uninstall all of your third party apps. Then see what difference it makes running only stock apps for one day.

S5 battery stats thread

I'm unsure what you want me to tweak.

I have locations turned off, bluetooth turned off, and brightness as low as it can go

In terms of apps installed I only have the following non verizon stock:
  • Reddit sync
  • facebook
  • twitter
  • instagram
  • snapchat

Given whats installed and what is already disabled I think this battery life is pretty bad. My gf gets 4+ hours of screen with more apps installed and still 40%+ battery on her S5

fffft
Old
Thanks Meter 409
It's not rocket science. You're on the lower normal end of battery life, about what one would expect for a heavy user or a phone that has hasn't had much optimization done. If you do a simple search for threads on how to optimize battery life and read for a few minutes, you'd have all of the tools you need to improve your battery life 50 - 100%.

If you're somehow still unhappy, that's on you. We've tried to make constructive suggestions but you seem to expect spoon feeding or magic. The S5 with minimal tweaks has exceptional battery life. If you want to improve your battery life, make the effort to do a bit of reading in existing threads. Or go ahead and exchange your S5 for some other model. And you can gripe about the battery life for that one too.

Grey Hawk
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by fffft View Post
It's not rocket science. You're on the lower normal end of battery life, about what one would expect for a heavy user or a phone that has hasn't had much optimization done. If you do a simple search for threads on how to optimize battery life and read for a few minutes, you'd have all of the tools you need to improve your battery life 50 - 100%.

If you're somehow still unhappy, that's on you. We've tried to make constructive suggestions but you seem to expect spoon feeding or magic. The S5 with minimal tweaks has exceptional battery life. If you want to improve your battery life, make the effort to do a bit of reading in existing threads. Or go ahead and exchange your S5 for some other model. And you can gripe about the battery life for that one too.

It's clear there isn't an easy fix otherwise you would just say it.

I never even wanted a different model I was questioning whether my particular s5 is faulty. As my gf keeps location and WiFi on all day with tons of apps and gets almost 2x battery life. She doesn't read anything about tweaks so Im not sure why you keep saying that. In fact I doubt she has ever gone into the battery settings menu to even know what kind of time she is getting.