Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,495 Members 37,626 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Please help a noob out. This is the last time I'm trying :(

Tip us?

tempest22
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Please help a noob out. This is the last time I'm trying :(

Ok. So I've tried to ask this question before, and every time I get people telling me to do things I just don't understand. Sorry. Not trying to spam. If this question goes unanswered I will not post another and I apologize if this is too stupid. Just a noob trying to get help.

All I want is to update my phone (SM-G900F) to the most recent Android version. Like 3 weeks ago I got the prompt to update OTA because a new update was available. I've haven't modified my phone other than Towelrooting in July and having SuperSU and Titanium. Had planned to get way more root stuff but so far I haven't had the time.

OTA Update failed, told me my phone was modified in an unauthorized way and suggested to update through Kies.

Here's my question: What's the simplest, easiest way to update correctly? I'd rather do it one way or the other: Either, I unroot with SuperSU and remove Titanium, then download Kies and try to update, if successful I reroot with Towelroot OR: I can manage to update WITH Towelroot and SuperSU still there, if so, how?

That's all I'm asking. Would the first option work best? Is there a better way? I don't want to use Odin or anything like that, I don't want to use custom roms or anything, I'd just like to have the most recent update and root, that's it. Please put me out of my misery.

BLuFeNiX
Old
Thanks Meter 180

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest22 View Post
What's the simplest, easiest way to update correctly?

I don't want to use Odin or anything like that
You can't have it both ways. Odin is the easiest, otherwise try Kies.
If you like my work, feel free to donate, or just hit the THANKS BUTTON.

Want to make your own boot animations from an animated GIF? Check out my software! - Gif2Boot (no root required)

eRPeeX
Old
Thanks Meter 419
Download NeatRom and you will get the latest Rom.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2828562

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G900F met Tapatalk

tempest22
Old
(Last edited by tempest22; 15th September 2014 at 09:53 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLuFeNiX View Post
You can't have it both ways. Odin is the easiest, otherwise try Kies.
So would it work if I unroot with SuperSU, then install Kies on my pc and update to most recent Anroid version?
Or, if I'm already going to unroot first with SuperSU, can I then just try the OTA update and if successful, can I reroot with Towelroot or will that be outdated with the most recent Android version?

pezlomd
Old
Thanks Meter 69
Download odin 3.09. Download the latest official firmware for your device, search the forums to find the latest one. Extract the .tar file inside the firmware zip u downloaded. Make sure you have the drivers installed for your phone on your computer. Extract Odin and run the .exe to open the Odin program. Put your phone into download mode> While Powered off hold volume down.. Home.. And power button. Press continue when given the warning plug in your phone to the PC.. Within Odin click the ap slot. Load the .Tar file which is your firmware. Make sure Odin recognizes your phone is plugged. Hit start. Sit back and watch it flash.

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Free mobile app

tempest22
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Ok. I hope this does not sound arrogant. But I honestly can't believe why anyone on this forum can't directly answer my question instead of giving me other suggestions. I don't want to use Odin, it's too complex for me and I don't want to mod my phone to hell and back. I just want to get the most recent update released 2 or so weeks ago.

Nobody has said whether the Kies method works (letting Towelroot remain on my phone and trying to download most recent Android version with Kies on my pc), or whether I unroot with SuperSU, remove all root apps (I only have 3), then try the OTA update just with my phone and see if that works. Can somebody please just answer that? PLEASE

fffft
Old
Thanks Meter 413
Quote:
This is the last time I'm trying

I hope this does not sound arrogant. But I honestly can't believe why anyone on this forum can't directly answer my question

I don't want to use Odin, it's too complex for me

Skip the theatrics. Honestly, it does sound a bit plaintive. Even arrogant. We would like to help you, but if you actually want to quit, then quit. Otherwise, just ask for help. Drama belongs in some actor's forum somewhere else.

Odin is your best solution. And no, it's not really that complicated. But fair enough if you find it that way. If you feel that way though, then you ought to be asking a personal friend to fix your phone or pay a cellular shop to do so. You can't have it both ways. If you want a DIY solution, then you have to accept that a minimal amount of work goes along with that. You should not expect to be spoon fed.

Hopefully you'll stick it out, use Odin to fix your issue and have pride in having done so. If not, then (seriously) seek out a cellular shop. If this really stresses you out, why pursue a forum solution?

Prof Peach
Old
Thanks Meter 865

DONATE TO ME
I think I'm correct in saying the most recent ota comprised on little more than minor tweaks and security updates.

The world's not going to come to an end if you don't have the very latest update.

Perhaps more research BEFORE choosing the root route would have been wise, at least then you would be more informed as to the outcome of your chosen option.

Having read the last few posts it's clear to me, even as a relative S5 noob that your questions been answered quite comprehensively. Just not the install an app and reboot option you were hoping for.

sent from SGS5 running NeatRom 0X1

---------- Post added at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 PM ----------

Just before I get stuck into my pizza. .....

.......did you by any chance select ART rather than running a DALVIK system?
I did that before rooting and I got the same can't install ota due to modified yada yada.....

I reverted back to Dalvik and the ota installed no problem. As I said.... This was pre rooting so might not be relevant.

sent from SGS5 running NeatRom 0X1

Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900F White): Rooted (knox OxO) - ROM: NeatROM V2.2
Nexus 7 (4 in the family) : All Rooted - ROM: CarbonRom (All F2FS)
ASUS Transformer TF300T : Rooted - ROM: ★●CROMBI-kk●★ - KERNEL: Grimlock V2
Hit thanks if this post helped you!
The Following User Says Thank You to Prof Peach For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tempest22
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
does.the kies method i asked about.work.

PDBV
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
does.the kies method i asked about.work.
from reading the replies above i think the answer is no it wont but why not just give it a try, if its not going to work it will just tell you so (like the ota update did)

your options as stated above are to either use odin and install the latest update or take it to a shop or find someone who is close to you who knows how to use odin and ask them if they wouldnt mind doing it for you and buy them a beer as a thankyou,

odin isnt hard to use in fact it couldnt be any easier to use for a noob just follow a couple of simple steps and your done

i hope you get this sorted
Sent with swag from my I9100 using xda premium