Purple tint

OP deadlocked007

20th July 2014, 04:21 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Glendale Heights
Thanks Meter: 206

1,055 posts
More
I have the 900t and in the dark my camera has a purple tint at the corners. I'll post pictures in a little but is this a normal thing for the galaxy s5? I used to have a htc one with the purple tint issue and sending it in to get fixed was such a pain lol.
Last edited by deadlocked007; 20th July 2014 at 05:30 PM.
20th July 2014, 06:23 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 543

1,855 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlocked007

I have the 900t and in the dark my camera has a purple tint at the corners

It's hard to be certain because you only posted a single, low resolution image. But it's probably chromatic aberration. This is a type of distortion that occurs when component colours do not focus at the same convergence point. The misregistration of red and blue is seen as purple banding. You will also see this in SLR lenses that cost three times as much as the S5. The perfect lens (or image sensor) is an elusive goal.

Nor is this unique to the S5. Lots of people complained about something similar in the Apple 5s..

All cameras have various limitations. The S5 camera is superior in bright light and weak in low light. That is simply a design tradeoff. Your phone is only defective if you have markedly more artifacts than other S5's. And there is little in this particular picture to suggest that is the case.

If it you really find it intolerable, then return or sell your S5 and buy a different model. But realize that any other phone will have image defects as well. Just in some other visual aspect.

20th July 2014, 06:25 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Glendale Heights
Thanks Meter: 206

1,055 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fffft

It's hard to be certain because you only posted a single, low resolution image. But it's probably chromatic aberration. This is a type of distortion that occurs when component colours do not focus at the same convergence point. The misregistration of red and blue is seen as purple banding. You will also see this in SLR lenses that cost three times as much as the S5. The perfect lens (or image sensor) is an elusive goal.

Nor is this unique to the S5. Lots of people complained about something similar in the Apple 5s..

All cameras have various limitations. The S5 camera is superior in bright light and weak in low light. That is simply a design tradeoff. Your phone is only defective if you have markedly more artifacts than other S5's. And there is little in this particular picture to suggest that is the case.

If it you really find it intolerable, then return or sell your S5 and buy a different model. Just realize that any other phone will have image defects as well. Just in some other visual aspect.

Well that's assuring. I just got my hands on a few other galaxy s5s and it was the same so I guess you are right .
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread