Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] recently unlocked S5 can't register to any networks

OP Warburnater

31st August 2014, 09:41 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3

15 posts
Hello, I've had my s5 for a while on a Vodafone contract with no problems. The phone was rooted and had a custom recovery. I recently got it unlocked from a local shop due to moving contracts and now since then the phone will not connect to a single network. I have tried 3 different sims from different networks and all the same result. I flashed to stock again and no help. My device status reads:
Network: unknown
Mobile Network type: unknown
Service state: out of service
Mobile network state: disconnected
Phone number and IMEI are correct.
Dialling *#06* shows my correct IMEI. I can't get into any service menus due to no root now, and my EFS folder appears empty
Any help will be useful, thank you
31st August 2014, 10:39 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 622

1,978 posts
Was root broken by the unlock? A SIM unlock shouldn't break root. First try wiping your system cache from recovery mode. If the problem persists, then your best bet would be to restore your backup which will certainly resolve your issue and let you proceed from a stable position. If you don't have a backup, what the hell? Why wouldn't you be making backups?

As (a much less desirable) alternative, make a backup at this point or at least save any important files or photos. Then temporarily install a 100% stock ROM followed by a factory data reset. This is to rule out software issues other than EFS. If your phone now works, then it was a matter of a broken root or conflicting settings.

If you still have problems, then you need to provide a lot more information if you want good advice. We can't see your handset so if you don't give us a lot of details all anyone can do is flail around in the dark and make guesses. Try your SIM card in another unlocked phone to confirm that it still works. Confirm that you wiped your system cache and tried a factory data reset. And tell us step by step what you've tried so far.

Last edited by fffft; 31st August 2014 at 10:42 AM.
1st September 2014, 06:35 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

15 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fffft

Was root broken by the unlock? A SIM unlock shouldn't break root. First try wiping your system cache from recovery mode. If the problem persists, then your best bet would be to restore your backup which will certainly resolve your issue and let you proceed from a stable position. If you don't have a backup, what the hell? Why wouldn't you be making backups?

As (a much less desirable) alternative, make a backup at this point or at least save any important files or photos. Then temporarily install a 100% stock ROM followed by a factory data reset. This is to rule out software issues other than EFS. If your phone now works, then it was a matter of a broken root or conflicting settings.

If you still have problems, then you need to provide a lot more information if you want good advice. We can't see your handset so if you don't give us a lot of details all anyone can do is flail around in the dark and make guesses. Try your SIM card in another unlocked phone to confirm that it still works. Confirm that you wiped your system cache and tried a factory data reset. And tell us step by step what you've tried so far.

Thanks for the reply, I will describe as best I can what is happening:
Firstly as the phone rebooted from the unlock I could not register to any networks. Root was still there and TWRP also . I restarted the device, and nothing happened. So next I tried a different aim and still I have no network. Both aims work in another phone. I did what you mentioned next and restored a backup and still no fix.
I tried factory resetting and wiping the cache and again, no fix. Then I flashed the stock firmware through ODIN which had no effect either.

If I use the sim in another handset then return to my s5 with it on first boot up it registers to EE and pulls a signal with no Internet, then quickly unregisters to emergency calls only.
Thank you for your help, I will give any info about the device that you need.
1st September 2014, 07:01 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

15 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fffft

Thanks for the reply, I will describe as best I can what is happening:
Firstly as the phone rebooted from the unlock I could not register to any networks. Root was still there and TWRP also . I restarted the device, and nothing happened. So next I tried a different aim and still I have no network. Both aims work in another phone. I did what you mentioned next and restored a backup and still no fix.
I tried factory resetting and wiping the cache and again, no fix. Then I flashed the stock firmware through ODIN which had no effect either.

If I use the sim in another handset then return to my s5 with it on first boot up it registers to EE and pulls a signal with no Internet, then quickly unregisters to emergency calls only.
Thank you for your help, I will give any info about the device that you need.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
network not registred
Previous Thread Next Thread