Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,022 Members 52,761 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

S5 on '3' UK Network, unlocked?

Tip us?

JCM800
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 70
Default S5 on '3' UK Network, unlocked?

I'm told by '3' that all the phones they release now, are actually 'unlocked'..as the S5 is their latest flagship - i'd like to ask this..

Is it unlocked, if so..does that mean you are getting OTA software updates from Samsung..or are you still having to wait for '3'3 to stall and wait weeks/months for the updates to get their 'approval'?

Thanks.

ag4751
Old
(Last edited by ag4751; 11th July 2014 at 05:12 PM.)
Thanks Meter 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCM800 View Post
I'm told by '3' that all the phones they release now, are actually 'unlocked'..as the S5 is their latest flagship - i'd like to ask this..

Is it unlocked, if so..does that mean you are getting OTA software updates from Samsung..or are you still having to wait for '3'3 to stall and wait weeks/months for the updates to get their 'approval'?

Thanks.
If you connect to Kies and you have a Generic UK / Europe rom it will look like this

If you have a 3 network phone I would guess where mine says (BTU) yours will have (H3G) or similar if it isn't BTU then it is carrier branded

You can debrand it to BTU download the Generic BTU firmware from Sammobile make sure you get the right phone model you should be on the G900F but check it to be sure
If I have been helpful remember the Thanks button

JCM800
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag4751 View Post
If you connect to Kies and you have a Generic UK / Europe rom it will look like this

If you have a 3 network phone I would guess where mine says (BTU) yours will have (H3G) or similar if it isn't BTU then it is carrier branded

You can debrand it to BTU download the Generic BTU firmware from Sammobile make sure you get the right phone model you should be on the G900F but check it to be sure
Thanks for replying..

I don't actually own one,, just asking as I'm thinking of going contract with them in near future.

I'm asking if anyone can check if it is indeed BTU out of the box?

I didn't realise we can flash BTU firmware onto an otherwise network branded phone, interesting.. Thanks.

ShadowLea
Old
(Last edited by ShadowLea; 12th July 2014 at 01:59 AM.)
Thanks Meter 861
You mean Unbranded, not unlocked.

The EU forbid simlocking in 2011. All EU phones, even branded ones, are unlocked to use with any providers' SIM. (The Region Lock, however, is a Samsung thing. But that only affects non-eu SIMs in an EU device.)

They are still allowed to run their own firmware though. So you get the silly logo and crappy apps if it's branded.

And yes, if it's branded, you have to wait for the provider updates. (they still go via Samsung's servers, but the provider has to modify them first. Samsung then has to re-test and re-approve it, whcih takes a while, hence the wait.)

But in general you can flash the official unbranded rom over it with no issue, provided it's the same or a newer version.

Sammobile lists firmware branded for H3G, so yes, it's safe to assume they are branded out of the box. CSC: H3G: G900FH3G1AND4 (No, I don't own one.)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 2
SM-N9005 International Galaxy Note 3, DBT NB7 Stock
SM-G900F International Galaxy S5, PHN NCE Stock
SM-P905 NotePro 12.2 LTE Black, DBT NC3 Stock

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it. –Chinese Proverb

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

The simplest solutions are often the cleverest. They are also usually wrong.

declan8888
Old
Thanks Meter 73
My 3 UK galaxy s 5 is LOCKED to Three.

You can purchase an unlock code for £15 directly from Three.

Sent from my SM-G900F using XDA Free mobile app

Painman1963
Old
Thanks Meter 157
My 3 branded Galaxy S5 is unlocked to any network but is branded with H3G software. If you are unlucky enough to get s locked version like @declan8888 you can now get a free unlock by visiting their website or by popping into one of their shops
The Following User Says Thank You to Painman1963 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]