Shoot Troubles, Not Users w/ Alex Boag-Munroe – XDA:DevCon 2014

In presenting the various sessions from XDA:DevCon 2014, weve mainly … more

Oppo Releases ColorOS for the Find 5… Poorly

Almost every OEM has taken the liberty of creating its own incarnation of the Android OS. … more

XDA LG Development Challenge Winners

Almost 3months ago, we set out with LGto findtwo amazing apps that developers could put together … more

Wearable Apps w/ Andreas Göransson – XDA:DevCon 2014

XDA:DevCon 2014 in Manchester, UK featured quite a few interesting topics as … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

S5 on '3' UK Network, unlocked?

OP JCM800

11th July 2014, 05:24 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Oxford
Thanks Meter: 78

750 posts
More
I'm told by '3' that all the phones they release now, are actually 'unlocked'..as the S5 is their latest flagship - i'd like to ask this..

Is it unlocked, if so..does that mean you are getting OTA software updates from Samsung..or are you still having to wait for '3'3 to stall and wait weeks/months for the updates to get their 'approval'?

Thanks.
11th July 2014, 06:07 PM   |  #2  
Flag Scarborough
Thanks Meter: 205

451 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCM800

I'm told by '3' that all the phones they release now, are actually 'unlocked'..as the S5 is their latest flagship - i'd like to ask this..

Is it unlocked, if so..does that mean you are getting OTA software updates from Samsung..or are you still having to wait for '3'3 to stall and wait weeks/months for the updates to get their 'approval'?

Thanks.

If you connect to Kies and you have a Generic UK / Europe rom it will look like this

If you have a 3 network phone I would guess where mine says (BTU) yours will have (H3G) or similar if it isn't BTU then it is carrier branded

You can debrand it to BTU download the Generic BTU firmware from Sammobile make sure you get the right phone model you should be on the G900F but check it to be sure
Last edited by ag4751; 11th July 2014 at 06:12 PM.
11th July 2014, 06:20 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Oxford
Thanks Meter: 78

750 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag4751

If you connect to Kies and you have a Generic UK / Europe rom it will look like this

If you have a 3 network phone I would guess where mine says (BTU) yours will have (H3G) or similar if it isn't BTU then it is carrier branded

You can debrand it to BTU download the Generic BTU firmware from Sammobile make sure you get the right phone model you should be on the G900F but check it to be sure

Thanks for replying..

I don't actually own one,, just asking as I'm thinking of going contract with them in near future.

I'm asking if anyone can check if it is indeed BTU out of the box?

I didn't realise we can flash BTU firmware onto an otherwise network branded phone, interesting.. Thanks.
12th July 2014, 02:51 AM   |  #4  
Flag Enschede, The Netherlands
Thanks Meter: 1,042

4,175 posts
More
You mean Unbranded, not unlocked.

The EU forbid simlocking in 2011. All EU phones, even branded ones, are unlocked to use with any providers' SIM. (The Region Lock, however, is a Samsung thing. But that only affects non-eu SIMs in an EU device.)

They are still allowed to run their own firmware though. So you get the silly logo and crappy apps if it's branded.

And yes, if it's branded, you have to wait for the provider updates. (they still go via Samsung's servers, but the provider has to modify them first. Samsung then has to re-test and re-approve it, whcih takes a while, hence the wait.)

But in general you can flash the official unbranded rom over it with no issue, provided it's the same or a newer version.

Sammobile lists firmware branded for H3G, so yes, it's safe to assume they are branded out of the box. CSC: H3G: G900FH3G1AND4 (No, I don't own one.)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 2
Last edited by ShadowLea; 12th July 2014 at 02:59 AM.
12th July 2014, 04:51 PM   |  #5  
Flag Edinburgh
Thanks Meter: 76

573 posts
More
My 3 UK galaxy s 5 is LOCKED to Three.

You can purchase an unlock code for 15 directly from Three.

Sent from my SM-G900F using XDA Free mobile app
12th July 2014, 08:34 PM   |  #6  
Flag Bristol
Thanks Meter: 220

379 posts
More
My 3 branded Galaxy S5 is unlocked to any network but is branded with H3G software. If you are unlucky enough to get s locked version like @declan8888 you can now get a free unlock by visiting their website or by popping into one of their shops
The Following User Says Thank You to Painman1963 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread