Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

S5 Duos low mic

17th August 2014, 07:56 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Dubai
Thanks Meter: 31

215 posts
More
Hey guys just got my S5 and I am told that the mic volume is quote low by people I speak to. Is this normal or I have a faulty device on my hands
18th August 2014, 09:38 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 644

1,977 posts
Very unlikely to be a hardware problem. Usually it's a user error e.g. not holding the phone close enough to your mouth or using the phone in very loud environments.

Try using the phone normally i.e. not in speaker phone mode where performance is worse and you annoy everyone within earshot. You can also try disabling noise reduction in the settings menu. Infrequently you may have water, dirt or your finger (when you hold the phone) obscuring the microphone hole on the bottom of the phone.

It's also possible to tweak the mic volume in the service menu /audio submenu. A forum search will explain the details if you wish to try that.

18th August 2014, 01:38 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Dubai
Thanks Meter: 31

215 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fffft

Very unlikely to be a hardware problem. Usually it's a user error e.g. not holding the phone close enough to your mouth or using the phone in very loud environments.

Try using the phone normally i.e. not in speaker phone mode where performance is worse and you annoy everyone within earshot. You can also try disabling noise reduction in the settings menu. Infrequently you may have water, dirt or your finger (when you hold the phone) obscuring the microphone hole on the bottom of the phone.

It's also possible to tweak the mic volume in the service menu /audio submenu. A forum search will explain the details if you wish to try that.

HI, thanks for the info.. i have seen almost the same in the forum and outside like here http://droidtricks.blogspot.ae/2011/...icrophone.html

Is this still valid ?
3rd January 2015, 07:11 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 3

11 posts
Unhappy Same issue with me
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk1911

Hey guys just got my S5 and I am told that the mic volume is quote low by people I speak to. Is this normal or I have a faulty device on my hands

I have the same problem on the same device - but from all the googling I did - It turns out it a common problem with the S5 (single or dual SIM).
So far I did not find any solution to the problem...
Please share if you had any luck?

I am even considering widening the hole of the microphone (it is about 30% narrower then the S4), I do not care that much of the water protection...
12th January 2015, 10:11 AM   |  #5  

11 posts
Thumbs up Solved!
Happy to report I solved my low mic. problem!

Unfortunately it compromises the waterproofing, but I gladly sacrificed it!
I did poke in the microphone hole with a tin wire about 3-4 mm into the hole. I did not feel any resistance, but apparently I broke the waterproofing membrane on the microphone hole.

Now people can hear me even when I am whispering! I am so happy with my phone! (at one point I was thinking of replacing it because of the muffled mic.!)

The membrane I am talking about can be seen on the middle frame over the mic. hole on the attached picture.

Please if you do what I did - be careful, it might damage the microphone...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	samsungs5framewhite.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	3111130  
24th January 2015, 05:39 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by armsel

Happy to report I solved my low mic. problem!

Unfortunately it compromises the waterproofing, but I gladly sacrificed it!
I did poke in the microphone hole with a tin wire about 3-4 mm into the hole. I did not feel any resistance, but apparently I broke the waterproofing membrane on the microphone hole.

Now people can hear me even when I am whispering! I am so happy with my phone! (at one point I was thinking of replacing it because of the muffled mic.!)

The membrane I am talking about can be seen on the middle frame over the mic. hole on the attached picture.

Please if you do what I did - be careful, it might damage the microphone...

Hi armsel,

Good Spot!!! thanks for sharing the trick. I am having the same problem with my and I wish to follow your procedure in my phone.

Please provide more information with detailed steps and screen shots because I'm little confused in figured out microphone hole why because found two holes in bottom and top of the phone. I knew its my own risk and don't consider about waterproof.

Thanks in advance...
Last edited by Tvm G; 24th January 2015 at 05:51 AM. Reason: text format
24th January 2015, 08:53 AM   |  #7  

11 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvm G

Hi armsel,

Good Spot!!! thanks for sharing the trick. I am having the same problem with my and I wish to follow your procedure in my phone.

Please provide more information with detailed steps and screen shots because I'm little confused in figured out microphone hole why because found two holes in bottom and top of the phone. I knew its my own risk and don't consider about waterproof.

Thanks in advance...

Your primary microphone is the one on the bottom - next to the USB port (the top microphone is used for noise cancellation and you can leave as it is). You only need to poke the bottom one. Be gentle - if you feel resistance - don't push (I did not feel any resistance as far as I can remember). Test afterwords and see if there is an improvement - if not, try to penetrate little bit further (I believe I went something like 3, maybe even 5 mm in).

Best way to test - if you have another phone and call it on Viber (I did that with my wife galaxy S4 mini). And leave your next to a radio set with talk show on.

Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to armsel For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th January 2015, 05:20 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Red face Solved!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by armsel

Your primary microphone is the one on the bottom - next to the USB port (the top microphone is used for noise cancellation and you can leave as it is). You only need to poke the bottom one. Be gentle - if you feel resistance - don't push (I did not feel any resistance as far as I can remember). Test afterwords and see if there is an improvement - if not, try to penetrate little bit further (I believe I went something like 3, maybe even 5 mm in).

Best way to test - if you have another phone and call it on Viber (I did that with my wife galaxy S4 mini). And leave your next to a radio set with talk show on.

Good luck!

Hi armsel,
Problem is solved now !!! Microphone is working fine now my voice is audible.
Poked with small needle at least 3mm to 4mm and test my voice with voice call and some messenger apps works fine
I am wondering how you got this trick bcos searched whole web but could not get a right solution.
Great help and Thanks Man...

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread