[Q] The S5 family tree - differences?

Search This thread

jstoner

Aug 17, 2014
It's been like 10+ months since the original S5 was released. Now I am talking about the SM-G900F. Cause there are so many of them, and I m a bit lost as far some of the specs are concerned. Could someone clarify things here a bit? I am a bit surprised this hasn't been discussed already...

I have done some research, and I found the following S5 "variants". I briefly mention the differences from the "base" model, namely "SM-G900F":

Samsung Galaxy S5 LTE-A SM-G901F (Europe) aka "S5 Plus"
This is one's got 805 SD, Krait 450, Adreno 420 and LTE Cat6
...vs the 801 / 400 / 330 and LTE Cat4 of the base model

Samsung Galaxy S5 Duos SM-G900FD
Same hardware as the based model but with Dual SIM support
My question here is whether the DUOS supports all the video rec modes found in the base model?
e.g. 1080@30fps?
Also, is the SAR measure based on both SIMS working simultaneously?

Samsung Galaxy S5 LTE-A G906S
This is shares the same hardware with the G901F (S5 Plus) but it has 3GB of RAM and that incredible 577 ppi from the same size 5.1in screen...right? Supposively exclusive for Korea only, but people say it works fine across Europe at all bands 2G, 3G, LTE...

Samsung Galaxy S5 Active SM-G870F
This one lacks the fingerprint sensor of the base model (which I honestly don't care about) and also hosts the same 16MP camera, but at a slightly less resolution i.e. 3456 x 4608 vs 5312 x 2988

There is an octa-core version of the S5, which I didn't include, as I am not interested in it, as it doesn't support LTE (???!!!)

Now, assuming all these are correct, I m still confused as to which should I chose. The S5 Plus (G901F) is good, but overshadowed by the G906S which has more RAM and a better screen.

I would like to go for the DUOS, but does it have the same camera features of the base model? Is it really as good as the base model in all other areas? Cause its exactly same size/weight, so what gives?

The S5 Active G870F was just released in Europe and it's still too expensive. Otherwise, is the camera as good as the one in the base model?

Or should I just toss everything else and go for the base model G900F, which will also save me some $$ as it's cheaper from the rest?

juDGEY2k10

Sep 16, 2010
Liverpool
have a look at the development page see if there is any custom roms and support for each phone.

If you not bothered by that i would like the 3gig ram one please :)

jstoner

Aug 17, 2014
Thanx juDGEY2k10 (love your avatar btw....)

I m not interested in a custom ROM or rooting the phone at the moment. I just try to make up my mind spec-wise. I too have a slight pref towards the G906S - seems like the best all-rounder :)

Can I ask - if you have Silent mode ON, does that still mute the camera sounds? (at least in 4.1.2 it did)

have a look at the development page see if there is any custom roms and support for each phone.

Reactions: juDGEY2k10

juDGEY2k10

Sep 16, 2010
Liverpool
Just tested and yes it dose mate no sound at all

I m not interested in a custom ROM or rooting the phone at the moment. I just try to make up my mind spec-wise. I too have a slight pref towards the G906S - seems like the best all-rounder :)

Can I ask - if you have Silent mode ON, does that still mute the camera sounds? (at least in 4.1.2 it did)

jstoner

Aug 17, 2014
Cheers mate!

Just to add up to my previous comment regarding the G906S...well it's out of my consideration. It turns out that the uprated CPU/chipset/GPU combo don't do much good to compesate for its remarkable screen, which sucks away it's juice, making it slower even compared to the original S5. OK, I d like to have that screen, but not at that cost - don't you think too?

I d rather have the 'Plus' version (G901F), which lacks the screen and that 1GB of RAM, but still has the same uprated hardware...

Last edited:

juDGEY2k10

Sep 16, 2010
Liverpool
Is it worth the extra money ? Not looked myself but maybe the international one would be better overall if you run into any problems when and if u do want to custom it a bit.

Up to u my mate im sure other users will post their opinion :)

Cheers mate!

Just to add up to my previous comment regarding the G906S...well it's out of my consideration. It turns out that the uprated CPU/chipset/GPU combo don't do much good to compesate for its remarkable screen, which sucks away it's juice, making it slower even compared to the original S5. OK, I d like to have that screen, but not at that cost - don't you think too?

I d rather have the 'Plus' version (G901F), which lacks the screen and that 1GB of RAM, but still has the same uprated hardware...

Reactions: jstoner

jstoner

Aug 17, 2014
Was wondering...some of those phones that come as part of a network upgrade (e.g. from T-Mobile in Germany), carry network branding in the software. Like showing "T-Mobile" at phone start up. If there any way around through this? I m not talking a custom ROM, but if it's possible to get the Samsung factory/retail ROM, so that it won't have any branding or logos. Is that possible?

Is it worth the extra money ? Not looked myself but maybe the international one would be better overall if you run into any problems when and if u do want to custom it a bit.

jstoner

Aug 17, 2014
Was wondering...some of those phones that come as part of a network upgrade (e.g. from T-Mobile in Germany), carry network branding in the software. Like showing "T-Mobile" at phone start up. If there any way around through this? I m not talking a custom ROM, but if it's possible to get the Samsung factory/retail ROM, so that it won't have any branding or logos. Is that possible?

Regarding the brading issue, I found the following:

1. Download debranded firmware for your phone.
2. Open ODIN, boot your phone into Download mode.
3. Connect your phone to your PC and select the firmware in ODIN on PDA section.
4. Click Start and wait for the firmware to install.
5. Boot your phone into Recovery mode and wipe data and factory reset.
6. Reboot your phone.

OK - branding gone for now. But what happens when a new official firmware is released? Will I be able to flash directly from Samsung? Or would I have to use ODIN again? If not, how does Samsung know that this phone is tied to a specific provider? (IMEI?)

juDGEY2k10

Sep 16, 2010
Liverpool
Get a stock rom flash it with odin as long as u dont root it or use a custom recovery u should be able to do OTA updates via samsung. Dont think they track the phone in that way its just down to the phone, if its been customised at all (root bla bla not supported by samsung) But you will not be on their list of people who have messed with their phones or anything like that.

Regarding the brading issue, I found the following:

1. Download debranded firmware for your phone.
2. Open ODIN, boot your phone into Download mode.
3. Connect your phone to your PC and select the firmware in ODIN on PDA section.
4. Click Start and wait for the firmware to install.
5. Boot your phone into Recovery mode and wipe data and factory reset.
6. Reboot your phone.

OK - branding gone for now. But what happens when a new official firmware is released? Will I be able to flash directly from Samsung? Or would I have to use ODIN again? If not, how does Samsung know that this phone is tied to a specific provider? (IMEI?)

jstoner

Aug 17, 2014
Yup. I m only looking for "stock" at the moment, so having OTA update capability is vital for me.

Can anyone confirm this? Someone who tried it on an S5 variant I mean...

Get a stock rom flash it with odin as long as u dont root it or use a custom recovery u should be able to do OTA updates via samsung. Dont think they track the phone in that way its just down to the phone, if its been customised at all (root bla bla not supported by samsung) But you will not be on their list of people who have messed with their phones or anything like that.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Cheers mate!