Post Reply

No option to enable ART on S5 g906k Prime

2nd September 2014, 11:54 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
49 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2012
More
I've enabled developer options from tapping the build number however there's no option to enable the ART runtime. Any clue in why the Korean version doesn't have this and how I can enable it via a different approach?

Thanks.

Sent from my LG-G3
3rd September 2014, 10:59 AM   |  #2  
fffft's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 457
 
1,632 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorRedPanda

No option to enable ART on S5 g906k


That seems unlikely. But if you say so. The problem is that you are aking about a derivative model that is only used in Korea /China. So most of us have no direct experience with it. And if Samsung is to be believed, it isn't even a S5 model.

Post the contents of your /data/property/persist.sys.dalvik.vm.lib file.

libdvm.so = Dalvik
libart.so = ART

.
3rd September 2014, 01:30 PM   |  #3  
Member
Thanks Meter: 11
 
74 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2008
It is libdvm.so.

Unfortunately it seems that ART isn't an option. But, given that there isn't an option, that suggests that some part of the code simply doesn't work with ART. Only samsung knows what!

Sent from my SM-G906K using Tapatalk
3rd September 2014, 06:35 PM   |  #4  
fffft's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 457
 
1,632 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutttr

It is libdvm.so.

Unfortunately it seems that ART isn't an option.


That is contradictory.

As I suggested above, edit the setting to libart.so to change your phone to ART. Don't forget to confirm that you haven't corrupted the file permissions, clear your system cache and then you should be using ART rather than Dalvik.

Of course that means that you'll suddenly find the many apps that are incompatible with ART fail, but that is an entirely different story.

.
3rd September 2014, 11:07 PM   |  #5  
Member
Thanks Meter: 11
 
74 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by fffft

Of course that means that you'll suddenly find the many apps that are incompatible with ART fail, but that is an entirely different story.

.

Exactly my point. Presumably some parts of the Samsung software aren't compatible with ART for this CPU/GPU. And hence why the option isn't there. Of course, I might take a backup at some point as try it, but not yet.



Sent from my SM-G906K using Tapatalk
3rd September 2014, 11:21 PM   |  #6  
fffft's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 457
 
1,632 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutttr

Exactly my point. Presumably some parts of the Samsung software aren't compatible with ART for this CPU/GPU. And hence why the option isn't there.


You're jumping to an unfounded conclusion. It's possible that is the case, but there is no evidence to support it yet.

In fact, it would be highly unlikely that the core system apps would be incompatible with ART given that Samsung would know Google's plans to make ART the primary cache method in Android L. Nevertheless, many non system apps are known to be incompatible at this time.

.
4th September 2014, 12:49 AM   |  #7  
Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
35 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2014
So, when Android L comes out will it not be able to work with ART?
4th September 2014, 12:57 AM   |  #8  
fffft's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 457
 
1,632 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2013
Send me a G906K to test firsthand and I'll definitively answer that.

For the moment, I don't have one to test. But it is implausible that a recent high end model wouldn't work with ART. But that is referring to the system (OS) apps. Third party apps are another story entirely. There is no guarantee that existing third party apps have been updated to work with ART. If you are an early ART adopter.. there will in fact be many third party apps that will not run on your handset.

Presuming that Dalvik remains an option, I would in the near term continue using Dalvik until apps in general are updated to use ART.

.
4th September 2014, 12:34 PM   |  #9  
Member
Thanks Meter: 11
 
74 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by fffft

You're jumping to an unfounded conclusion. It's possible that is the case, but there is no evidence to support it yet.

In fact, it would be highly unlikely that the core system apps would be incompatible with ART given that Samsung would know Google's plans to make ART the primary cache method in Android L. Nevertheless, many non system apps are known to be incompatible at this time.

.

Maybe. But why didn't Samsung include the option for just this model then? Seems very odd. Maybe Koreans don't like ART?

[edit - Actually, what is more likely is some carrier installed bloat is probably not compatible... Hence removing the option was probably easier for them??]
Last edited by nutttr; 4th September 2014 at 12:38 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Galaxy S 5 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank