[Q] New S5 user, LTE-A vs. CDMA - Alaska

OP Indevolatile

27th August 2014, 11:08 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Background - I had a Touch Pro 2 (thank you Energyrom!) on Sprint's Sero plan for the last five years. I moved from Seattle to Fairbanks, Alaska two years ago and Sprint finally sent me a "Dear John" letter for breach of contract due to excessive roaming.

My choice of local carriers was AT&T or GCI for GSM only, or ACS for GSM/CDMA. As the legacy CDMA network up here is much more extensive, I decided to go with ACS.

I walked into the store intent on getting the best phone I could that meets my criteria (removable battery, removable storage, CDMA) and walked out with a G900r7. I've been able to determine that this is the same specification marketed by C-Spire.

ACS was also offering the 5s LTE-A for an extra $50 on plan, which is presumably the G906s, but it's not cdma compatible.

So I've had this phone for a week, and I'm starting to wonder if I've screwed myself a little by insisting on CDMA. They provided no sim card, so data is restricted to EVDO. Presumably once VoLTE starts to roll out, I'd be unable to use that without dropping CDMA capability anyway.

Other than that little worry, I'm perfectly happy with it. It's been great for the week I've had it, but I'm not the sort of person who upgrades every year, or even every two years. I have another week to return it, and pay another $50 + $25 restocking fee and switch to the LTE-A version, giving up the extra range that comes with CDMA, but with VoLTE just around the corner I'm tempted to do just that.

I guess I'm looking for opinions. I've been registered here for a number of years and found it to be a great resource, but this is my first time asking for help. I'd appreciate any input.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread