Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,560 Members 53,241 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] S5 won't charge from wall outlet

Tip us?

bigred97
Old
(Last edited by bigred97; 28th July 2014 at 10:38 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] S5 won't charge from wall outlet

Just installed a wall outlet with 2 built in USB ports (5V, 3.0A)
When I plug in my S5 nothing happens, doesn't even indicate that its plugged in. ( Using Samsung or any other cable)
The outlet works, it charges all my other devices just fine(although I have not tried another Samsung device yet)

Any ideas on this?

______
It will charge an S4 with no issues

fffft
Old
Thanks Meter 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred97 View Post
Any ideas on this?

Does your S5 charge from the factory travel charger? From a PC USB port?

Those answers would narrow the possibilities. But most likely you have an out of spec or reversed polarity outlet. Do you have a multimeter to test the voltage, current and pinout for the outlet?

If that was so much Greek to you and your S5 charges from other outlets, then simply replace the outlet with a different brand.

bigred97
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fffft View Post
Does your S5 charge from the factory travel charger? From a PC USB port?

Those answers would narrow the possibilities. But most likely you have an out of spec or reversed polarity outlet. Do you have a multimeter to test the voltage, current and pinout for the outlet?

If that was so much Greek to you and your S5 charges from other outlets, then simply replace the outlet with a different brand.

Yup it charges fine with all other chargers (factory, PC USB, and aftermarket)

The outlet was put in by a licensed electrician while he was doing some other things at the house, I hope he wouldn't have reversed the wires. But I can check. Tonight.

What about the fact that it charges an S4 but bit the S5?

fffft
Old
Thanks Meter 411
Quote:
Yup it charges fine with all other chargers (factory, PC USB, and aftermarket)

The outlet was put in by a licensed electrician while he was doing some other things at the house, I hope he wouldn't have reversed the wires. But I can check. Tonight.

What about the fact that it charges an S4 but bit the S5?

We're looking for patterns or anomolies. Since your S5 charges from other sources, your cable and the S5 jack appear to be OK. So we move on to a differential analysis. Why does the S4 charge from the new outlet, but not the S5?

I can think of half a dozen unlikely reasons.. the most plausible reasons are polarity or an out of spec voltage. It could be that the S4 rectifies the input, while the S5 uses a DC path for instance. That would explain why only one model would care about polarity.

Actually polarity reversal is unlikely. And would be more likely a manufacting defect, than anything your electrician did wrong. My money - as to the most likely issue - is on the oulet voltage being too low. It should be +5 VDC. Perhaps the factory had a bad day and it is supplying 4.8.

The ways to design an electronic circuit are endless, so there are lots of potential reasons why one phone would cope and another would refuse what the outlet has on offer.

iresq
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I would agree that it's probably not polarity (at least polarity feeding the USB charger) but I'm unfamiliar with built in USB wall outlets. Also agree that USB charger is culprit since you ruled out cable.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

bigred97
Old
(Last edited by bigred97; 29th July 2014 at 06:36 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
I have 5.1v at the usb port.
And as far as polarity, if looking at the port with contacts facing down, positive is on the left and negative is right

fffft
Old
Thanks Meter 411
Quote:
I have 5.1v at the usb port.

5.1 VDC, under load?

Then voltage isn't the issue. And the polarity is correct.

Something is non-standard about your outlet, but it isn't obvious what. Errant voltage on a data pin. Voltage sag under load, low impediance path on pin 5 (JTAG). Strong AC crosstalk. An unexpected inductance. Leprechauns.

Something. But non obvious. If your time is worth anything, mark it a mystery & replace the outlet.

bigred97
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fffft View Post
5.1 VDC, under load?

Then voltage isn't the issue. And the polarity is correct.

Something is non-standard about your outlet, but it isn't obvious what. Errant voltage on a data pin. Voltage sag under load, low impediance path on pin 5 (JTAG). Strong AC crosstalk. An unexpected inductance. Leprechauns.

Something. But non obvious. If your time is worth anything, mark it a mystery & replace the outlet.

5.1vdc NO LOAD
I'm done messing with it, it works on every other device I have so I guess it's good enough