Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] S5 won't charge from wall outlet

OP bigred97

28th July 2014, 09:36 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
24 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2014
Just installed a wall outlet with 2 built in USB ports (5V, 3.0A)
When I plug in my S5 nothing happens, doesn't even indicate that its plugged in. ( Using Samsung or any other cable)
The outlet works, it charges all my other devices just fine(although I have not tried another Samsung device yet)

Any ideas on this?

______
It will charge an S4 with no issues
Last edited by bigred97; 28th July 2014 at 11:38 PM.
29th July 2014, 08:10 AM   |  #2  
fffft's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 622
 
1,978 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred97

Any ideas on this?


Does your S5 charge from the factory travel charger? From a PC USB port?

Those answers would narrow the possibilities. But most likely you have an out of spec or reversed polarity outlet. Do you have a multimeter to test the voltage, current and pinout for the outlet?

If that was so much Greek to you and your S5 charges from other outlets, then simply replace the outlet with a different brand.

.
29th July 2014, 01:47 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
24 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by fffft

Does your S5 charge from the factory travel charger? From a PC USB port?

Those answers would narrow the possibilities. But most likely you have an out of spec or reversed polarity outlet. Do you have a multimeter to test the voltage, current and pinout for the outlet?

If that was so much Greek to you and your S5 charges from other outlets, then simply replace the outlet with a different brand.

.

Yup it charges fine with all other chargers (factory, PC USB, and aftermarket)

The outlet was put in by a licensed electrician while he was doing some other things at the house, I hope he wouldn't have reversed the wires. But I can check. Tonight.

What about the fact that it charges an S4 but bit the S5?
29th July 2014, 02:55 PM   |  #4  
fffft's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 622
 
1,978 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred97

Yup it charges fine with all other chargers (factory, PC USB, and aftermarket)

The outlet was put in by a licensed electrician while he was doing some other things at the house, I hope he wouldn't have reversed the wires. But I can check. Tonight.

What about the fact that it charges an S4 but bit the S5?


We're looking for patterns or anomolies. Since your S5 charges from other sources, your cable and the S5 jack appear to be OK. So we move on to a differential analysis. Why does the S4 charge from the new outlet, but not the S5?

I can think of half a dozen unlikely reasons.. the most plausible reasons are polarity or an out of spec voltage. It could be that the S4 rectifies the input, while the S5 uses a DC path for instance. That would explain why only one model would care about polarity.

Actually polarity reversal is unlikely. And would be more likely a manufacting defect, than anything your electrician did wrong. My money - as to the most likely issue - is on the oulet voltage being too low. It should be +5 VDC. Perhaps the factory had a bad day and it is supplying 4.8.

The ways to design an electronic circuit are endless, so there are lots of potential reasons why one phone would cope and another would refuse what the outlet has on offer.

.
29th July 2014, 03:05 PM   |  #5  
Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
46 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
I would agree that it's probably not polarity (at least polarity feeding the USB charger) but I'm unfamiliar with built in USB wall outlets. Also agree that USB charger is culprit since you ruled out cable.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
29th July 2014, 05:16 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
24 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2014
I have 5.1v at the usb port.
And as far as polarity, if looking at the port with contacts facing down, positive is on the left and negative is right
Last edited by bigred97; 29th July 2014 at 07:36 PM.
29th July 2014, 08:12 PM   |  #7  
fffft's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 622
 
1,978 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred97

I have 5.1v at the usb port.


5.1 VDC, under load?

Then voltage isn't the issue. And the polarity is correct.

Something is non-standard about your outlet, but it isn't obvious what. Errant voltage on a data pin. Voltage sag under load, low impediance path on pin 5 (JTAG). Strong AC crosstalk. An unexpected inductance. Leprechauns.

Something. But non obvious. If your time is worth anything, mark it a mystery & replace the outlet.

.
29th July 2014, 11:48 PM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
24 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by fffft

5.1 VDC, under load?

Then voltage isn't the issue. And the polarity is correct.

Something is non-standard about your outlet, but it isn't obvious what. Errant voltage on a data pin. Voltage sag under load, low impediance path on pin 5 (JTAG). Strong AC crosstalk. An unexpected inductance. Leprechauns.

Something. But non obvious. If your time is worth anything, mark it a mystery & replace the outlet.

.

5.1vdc NO LOAD
I'm done messing with it, it works on every other device I have so I guess it's good enough

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes