Samsung Galaxy S5 (G870A) Bootloop Fix!

Search This thread
Feb 3, 2013
I have upgraded phone to 6.0.1 and stupid me wanted to downgrade to KitKat.
now the phone is going to recovery boot when turned on.
I can put the phone to download mode.
How can I fix it?
I tried Kies and Smart Switch but they won't initialize firmware upgrade.
Thank you.

irontaco1

Sep 27, 2015
I have upgraded phone to 6.0.1 and stupid me wanted to downgrade to KitKat.
now the phone is going to recovery boot when turned on.
I can put the phone to download mode.
How can I fix it?
I tried Kies and Smart Switch but they won't initialize firmware upgrade.
Thank you.

To fix the problem you'll need the official firmware from AT&T. Unfortunately AT&T is terrible when it comes to releasing official firmwares to public because if you break your device they want you to pay money to fix it. My suggestion is to find a new device and make a back up on keys before you try anything silly ;)

Feb 3, 2013
To fix the problem you'll need the official firmware from AT&T. Unfortunately AT&T is terrible when it comes to releasing official firmwares to public because if you break your device they want you to pay money to fix it. My suggestion is to find a new device and make a back up on keys before you try anything silly ;)
how to backup?
don't i need root?

cmbeaa

Sep 17, 2016
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Hi, will this method work on a TMobile GS5 5.1.1.
I am stuck in bootloop, it boots to the TMobile logo screen and gets stuck there. I flashed the wrong rom when trying to install xposed. I have cleared cache/dalvik and everything several times. I need to know if your steps with work for my version, 5.1.1. if not please help me out as to how i can fix ths!!!!!!!! i am desperate. thnx.

nissan11

Oct 21, 2016
Hoffman, NC
I've attempted both methods described by the OP and neither work. The first will pass in Odin but still bootloops. The second method fails in Odin. Does anyone have any other ideas to fix my soft bricked s5 active?

irontaco1

Sep 27, 2015
Nope

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Hi, will this method work on a TMobile GS5 5.1.1.
I am stuck in bootloop, it boots to the TMobile logo screen and gets stuck there. I flashed the wrong rom when trying to install xposed. I have cleared cache/dalvik and everything several times. I need to know if your steps with work for my version, 5.1.1. if not please help me out as to how i can fix ths!!!!!!!! i am desperate. thnx.

This method only works for the AT&T version of the S5 active series. You might be able to find the firmware for your T-mobile phone here: http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/ If you find the firmware on that website then find a tutorial how to flash the firmware in odin.

irontaco1

Sep 27, 2015
Lets see...

I've attempted both methods described by the OP and neither work. The first will pass in Odin but still bootloops. The second method fails in Odin. Does anyone have any other ideas to fix my soft bricked s5 active?

This method shouldn't fail if you're running the correct version of 5.0. Unfortunately I don't remember what the PDA or CSC was sorry about that.

Update: This method works for the OC5 version of lolipop.

Last edited:

nissan11

Oct 21, 2016
Hoffman, NC
This method shouldn't fail if you're running the correct version of 5.0. Unfortunately I don't remember what the PDA or CSC was sorry about that.

Update: This method works for the OC5 version of lolipop.

Thanks for the reply.
I do not know what version of firmware I had when the phone started bootlooping. I just let it update whenever prompted by AT&T. I have been trying to recover my phone for days and have just about given up on it.

I deleted the files in method 2 and downloaded them again. Now, method 2 completes successfully in Odin but the phone freezes when trying to boot afterwards so it did not help.

Last edited:

irontaco1

Sep 27, 2015
Still might be able to help.

Thanks for the reply.
I do not know what version of firmware I had when the phone started bootlooping. I just let it update whenever prompted by AT&T. I have been trying to recover my phone for days and have just about given up on it.

I deleted the files in method 2 and downloaded them again. Now, method 2 completes successfully in Odin but the phone freezes when trying to boot afterwards so it did not help.

Do you remember how long ago your phone got stuck in a bootloop? If I have the general time and you always preformed an OTA then I should be able to narrow down what firmware your phone is on.

nissan11

Oct 21, 2016
Hoffman, NC
It started bootloop on 10-20-16. I tried flashing lollipop 5.0 last night and it failed multiple times in every version of Odin. I filed an insurance claim this morning.

irontaco1

Sep 27, 2015
It started bootloop on 10-20-16. I tried flashing lollipop 5.0 last night and it failed multiple times in every version of Odin. I filed an insurance claim this morning.

Yeah it's likely you've been flashing the wrong firmware. No marshmallow firmwares are out so that insurance claim is your best bet.

Tssmith11

Jan 14, 2017
First of all, thank you very much! Method 1 worked for me after many failed attempts using othe solutions.

There are a couple issues though..
Now I'm getting the security warnings (not a big deal ). What's a bigger deal is that I cannot make calls and when I answer an incoming call it ends immediately and goes to voice mail for the caller. Any idea how to fix this?

irontaco1

Sep 27, 2015
Great News!

First of all, thank you very much! Method 1 worked for me after many failed attempts using othe solutions.

There are a couple issues though..
Now I'm getting the security warnings (not a big deal ). What's a bigger deal is that I cannot make calls and when I answer an incoming call it ends immediately and goes to voice mail for the caller. Any idea how to fix this?

I'm glad everything worked for you. As far as the error message I already stated in the instructions that you'll receive that message permanently because the kernel has been modified. You might be able to fix the call thing by preforming a factory reset or re-flashing the firmware in samsung kies.

If it's not too much to ask please give me a thank you!

Message back and tell me how everything goes ~

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've recently found away to fix a Galaxy S5 Active stuck in a boot loop. (This method only works if your device is on lollipop 5.0! ;) )

Note: This method only works on the OC5 update.
    More firmware support coming soon.

What happened: I accidentally made my Galaxy S5 Active get stuck in a boot loop. I couldn't find a solution for the longest time because the bootloader is locked. Time passed and I eventually found away to fix the boot loop if your devices is running Lollipop 5.0!

Solution:
    1. You should always try to fix the boot loop by booting into recovery mode by holding down the Home+Volume-Up Key+Power button. Once the phone logo pops up on the screen releases the power button only, but continue to hold the Home+Volume-Up Key. If it worked is should say "Booting into recovery." or something along those lines in blue letters.
    Once you're into recovery use the volume keys to navigate Up and Down. Find wipedata/factory reset. Select it with the power key and navigate down to Yes. Wait till it finishes. Then see if that fixed the problem. If not proceed to next step

2. Since the boot loader is locked it's really difficult to flash any kind of Recovery, ROM, or Stock Rom unless your phone accepts it as a valid file. So here's what you do!: (Method 1)
    • Download this file and save it to your desktop: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3UBRFq3BojVQnBSc3lCSzloYUU
    • Download ODIN v(3.09): http://odindownload.com/Samsung-Odin/#.VgiJ_8tViko - Extract it to your desktop.
    • Put your phone in download mode. (Note: Before you do this, install the correct drivers for your phone to your computer.)Make sure your phone is completely off and Hold the Home+Volume Down+Power. You will get a warning message just press the volume up key to continue.
    • Go to desktop and launch ODIN. After ODIN pops up, plug in your device. (Make sure you have the correct phone drivers installed)
    • You should see a dialog box in ODIN that say 0:[COM6] in blue. Note: It might be different for everyone, just make sure it says COM.
    • After that, Under "File [Download]" click "AP" Then navigate to the file you downloaded earlier called "boot.tar"
    • MAKE SURE RE-PARTITION IS UNCHECKED!
    • Leave everything else alone then click start. Wait till it says PASS! in green letters in ODIN!

(Method 2):

Go to this link download it to your desktop and follow the instructions: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3UBRFq3BojVdXlSUE43VzJPbEU/view?usp=sharing

Done! Your device shouldn't be in a boot loop anymore! If you have any questions let me know! :)
    Note: Once this process is complete, your phone will permanently show a warning in your notifications saying "Unknown action detected." This happens because your phone will detect that your kernel was modified so if you don't want this to happen, then I suggest you wait for a official lollipop OS release.

UPDATE!: You should now be able to download the "Boot.tar" file. Sorry about that!

UPDATE!: New files and instructions added if the first method didn't work!
    Does method one work for G900T by any chance? Or do you have a comparable solution for that model? Thanks
    Unfortunately no. This method is only good for the G870A variant of the Samsung galaxy S5 Active. If you would like me to provide a fix for your phone (Samsung Galaxy S5 T-Mobile) just contact me through a private message.
    does anyone have new marshmallow kernel?
    I'm currently developing a custom kernel for the marshmallow update. Not sure what versions will be supported yet. I will create a root method when I'm finished.
    THANK YOU

I tried for months to fix my S5 active, even took it to a repair store and was told it could not be fixed. You rock!!!!! :)