Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,957 Members 54,556 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

SAMSUNG-SM-G870A ROOT w/ towelroot

Tip us?

ranthon007
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default SAMSUNG-SM-G870A ROOT w/ towelroot

I want to be able to mod my phone so I can install SDFix, but I cannot figure out how to get root access. I downloaded the towelroot and installed it but it keeps saying that my device is not supported, yet I see in several threads that people have claimed that it is.

I did recently update the software from AT&T (before I knew I needed to get root access) so that might have something to do with it. If it does, can anyone tell me AND let me know if it is possible that it will be fixed in the future? Thanks.

P.S. I anyone know a work-around the SD card issue without root that would work too. This is mainly why I am rooting, so I can ACTUALLY use the extra storage that I installed.

lingowistico
Old
Thanks Meter 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranthon007 View Post
I want to be able to mod my phone so I can install SDFix, but I cannot figure out how to get root access. I downloaded the towelroot and installed it but it keeps saying that my device is not supported, yet I see in several threads that people have claimed that it is.

I did recently update the software from AT&T (before I knew I needed to get root access) so that might have something to do with it. If it does, can anyone tell me AND let me know if it is possible that it will be fixed in the future? Thanks.

P.S. I anyone know a work-around the SD card issue without root that would work too. This is mainly why I am rooting, so I can ACTUALLY use the extra storage that I installed.
Yes a recent update disabled towelroot. You might be able to work around this issue by flashing an older firmware in Odin or by trying this tutorial.

Samsung Galaxy S 5 SM-G900F
Rom - Neatrom 2.2
Recovery - TWRP

ranthon007
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by lingowistico View Post
Yes a recent update disabled towelroot. You might be able to work around this issue by flashing an older firmware in Odin or by trying this tutorial.
Thanks. I will try that out when I get a chance! I will let you know what happens when I do.

ranthon007
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default FYI: Where to Start for Root Access

For anyone who may search this forum and find my mention of the G870A, and have no idea where to start (like I did) follow this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2799754 I can confirm that this firmware (once installed following the steps) will allow towelroot to work if you updated (like I did) in mid-August 2014.

P.S. I did not wipe all of my data clean like the post mentions at the bottom, but I did downgrade the firmware without issue.