Slow motion on the S5

Search This thread

griffin_1

Feb 6, 2011
Hello,
Im trying to decide what device will be my next phone and i have been strongly considering the s5 but there is something that i would like to have on my next phone and that is the ability to do slow motion, but i only in a portion of the clip and i can't find a definitive answer as to whether the s5 does that or not.
I know it can record in slow motion, 120fps, but can i then edit and select a portion to be in slow motion and other at regular speed (like on htc one and on the z2)?
If not from stock, is there an alternative app or mod that allows me to do that?

It might not seem like a big deal, but it was a feature i would like to have on the camera because i have had some moments where i it would have been nice to have that feature.

Thank you!

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
Hello,
Im trying to decide what device will be my next phone and i have been strongly considering the s5 but there is something that i would like to have on my next phone and that is the ability to do slow motion, but i only in a portion of the clip and i can't find a definitive answer as to whether the s5 does that or not.
I know it can record in slow motion, 120fps, but can i then edit and select a portion to be in slow motion and other at regular speed (like on htc one and on the z2)?
If not from stock, is there an alternative app or mod that allows me to do that?

It might not seem like a big deal, but it was a feature i would like to have on the camera because i have had some moments where i it would have been nice to have that feature.

Thank you!

The camera on the Z series isn't bad but i've found that the s5 is superior, once rooted on the z series you will lose the bionz engine, not to mention that when you zoom in the pictures are incredibly grainy, i would stay stick with the s5, it's a beast of a phone and the 120fps shooting works just as good as the z does. There is an editor on the handset already and there are tonnes of them you can get for windows and android.

Reactions: griffin_1

griffin_1

Feb 6, 2011
The camera on the Z series isn't bad but i've found that the s5 is superior, once rooted on the z series you will lose the bionz engine, not to mention that when you zoom in the pictures are incredibly grainy, i would stay stick with the s5, it's a beast of a phone and the 120fps shooting works just as good as the z does. There is an editor on the handset already and there are tonnes of them you can get for windows and android.

I didnt know that root on the z2 made it lose functions. Thats a shame :/
The camera on the s5 does seem impressive, not as much in low light but still. But the editor on s5 you mention, do you know if it will allow to speed up some parts of the vídeo and leave others in slow mo?

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
The camera on the s5 does seem impressive, not as much in low light but still. But the editor on s5 you mention, do you know if it will allow to speed up some parts of the vídeo and leave others in slow mo?

Well not rooting but unlocking the bootloader, apologies. One of the easiest devices to root though, unlocking the bootloader will only allow you to install custom recoveries, personally I wouldn't bother, retain your warranty and you're only an FTF flash away from complete stock, no harm done.

Even after unlocking the bootloader the camera is still decent, there is a drop in clarity but it's not a deal breaker, but either with or without losing features, the S5 is still superior imho.

I'm just downloading the editor from samsung apps to check for you, but i'm guessing that you can.

griffin_1

Feb 6, 2011
Well not rooting but unlocking the bootloader, apologies. One of the easiest devices to root though, unlocking the bootloader will only allow you to install custom recoveries, personally I wouldn't bother, retain your warranty and you're only an FTF flash away from complete stock, no harm done.

Even after unlocking the bootloader the camera is still decent, there is a drop in clarity but it's not a deal breaker, but either with or without losing features, the S5 is still superior imho.

I'm just downloading the editor from samsung apps to check for you, but i'm guessing that you can.

A huge thank you! :DI don't have access to a s5 and the info on that is not very specific, it would be great if it was possible to even just record slow speed and then speed it up(its the other way around on other devices, but it ends up being the same).
I wasn't aware of that about the z2, but yeah, aside from some functions on the z2 from what i have seen, the s5 seems to be better and its one of major points for the s5 for me.

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
No problem mate, but i'm afraid it doesn't, not with the stock editor, but there are others which you could use which will do the same, not sure which ones but there are quite a few, i'm almost certain that this can be done on windows.

Last edited:

griffin_1

Feb 6, 2011
No it doesn't, not with the stock editor, but there are others which you could use which will do the same, not sure which ones but there are quite a few, i'm almost certain that this can be done on windows.

On windows, software like after effects or maybe even other free video editors can probably do it. I have to try it.
I would rather have it on the phone though =/ Its a shame that samsung didn't follow the trend from other manufactures for handling slow motion.
If i end up finding an app that does that on android, i will let you know also!

Thank you for all the help!

Reactions: dlads

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
On windows, software like after effects or maybe even other free video editors can probably do it. I have to try it.
I would rather have it on the phone though =/ Its a shame that samsung didn't follow the trend from other manufactures for handling slow motion.

Thanks mate and good luck, i'll take a look for one myself too, will report here if i do.

Cheers :)

---------- Post added at 02:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 PM ----------

@griffin_1 This ones not too bad, just done a video now https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.muvee.reaction&hl=en_GB

---------- Post added at 03:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

coaches eye also looks pretty good.

Last edited:

griffin_1

Feb 6, 2011
Thanks mate and good luck, i'll take a look for one myself too, will report here if i do.

---------- Post added at 02:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 PM ----------

@griffin_1 This ones not too bad, just done a video now https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.muvee.reaction&hl=en_GB

---------- Post added at 03:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

Those seem to do what i want :D Especially the first one, i need to try it.
Hopefully my s5 will arrive tomorrow and i will test it out :)
You recorded regular video on samsung camera and then slowed it down on the app? Since samsung processes the video to slow it down, can it be used on the app and then increase or decrease the speed? I also want to try record with smooth motion(60fps) and then slow it down to see what it looks like, probably not as good as 120fps but it might be enough to do what i want.

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
Those seem to do what i want :D Especially the first one, i need to try it.
Hopefully my s5 will arrive tomorrow and i will test it out :)
You recorded regular video on samsung camera and then slowed it down on the app? Since samsung processes the video to slow it down, can it be used on the app and then increase or decrease the speed? I also want to try record with smooth motion(60fps) and then slow it down to see what it looks like, probably not as good as 120fps but it might be enough to do what i want.

Yea won't be as good but it won't look too bad. All these ice bucket challenges floating around slow mo is a good idea for it.

I just slowed down a regular vid.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,

Thank you!

No problem mate, but i'm afraid it doesn't, not with the stock editor, but there are others which you could use which will do the same, not sure which ones but there are quite a few, i'm almost certain that this can be done on windows.
    No it doesn't, not with the stock editor, but there are others which you could use which will do the same, not sure which ones but there are quite a few, i'm almost certain that this can be done on windows.