[Q] Software Update for my S5 (SM-G900F)

OP gevensa

13th July 2014, 08:27 PM   |  #11  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Heerlen
Thanks Meter: 3,141

8,550 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by born4trance

Correct > FAIL! (Size) @ hidden.img.ext4

I haven't looked at other firmwares yet but i did notice that the file in question differed from the one inside the PHN .tar

What software version do you have now annd what is your CSC file? In the dialpad type *#1234#.
The Following User Says Thank You to gee2012 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th July 2014, 08:31 PM   |  #12  
Flag Rotterdam(ned)
Thanks Meter: 15

87 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gee2012

What software version do you have now annd what is your CSC file? In the dialpad type *#1234#.

I already quoted the firmware i (currently) have, a few posts back
Last edited by born4trance; 13th July 2014 at 08:40 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to born4trance For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th July 2014, 08:41 PM   |  #13  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Heerlen
Thanks Meter: 3,141

8,550 posts
More
Quote:

I already quoted the firmware i (currently) have, a few posts back

Sorry for not reading that Usualy it shouldn`t be a problem to flash a different European rom. I got my phone with a TNL (T-Mobile) rom and flashed a PHN rom and it wasn`t a problem for me. I`ll try flashing a DBT rom just to see if it works.
The Following User Says Thank You to gee2012 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th July 2014, 08:50 PM   |  #14  
Flag Rotterdam(ned)

87 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gee2012

Sorry for not reading that Usualy it shouldn`t be a problem to flash a different European rom. I got my phone with a TNL (T-Mobile) rom and flashed a PHN rom and it wasn`t a problem for me. I`ll try flashing a DBT rom just to see if it works.

Perhaps it will work for you but not for me 'm not sure if or when i'll flash another FW, i don't really want to lose/give up towelroot
Last edited by born4trance; 13th July 2014 at 08:53 PM.
14th July 2014, 05:06 AM   |  #15  
Thanks Meter: 541

1,827 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gevensa

Another question: I have csc CRM What if I install the csc PHE, I will receive in the future the OTAs to release in SpaIn?

An OTA update will check your CSC to see if the update should be applied to your system. If you change your CSC from AAA to BBB, you can't expect to receive OTA's for AAA any longer. If your intent in doing this is wanting to receive BBB updates, the CSC change will usually suffice. It's a carrier implementation though and a more conservative carrier could also do secondary checks such as matching the baseband CSC as well.

Also you shouldn't change a CSC unless you are confident that the BBB OTA is compatible with your current firmware.

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

Quote:

Well, i tried to flash a PHN firmware once but it failed at hidden.img.ext4 with "FAIL! (size)".

So there are some exceptions =/

That doesn't surprise me at all. As I said earlier, you cannot expect to flash any firmware with Odin. It is dismaying how many people state that you can do so when they don't really know that to be true. Or to be more precise, they think they know and want to help someone. But in fact, they don't understand the subject in any depth, have no reasonable basis to believe that they do and good intentions notwithstanding, do a real disservice by spreading dangerously inaccurate information.

To reiterate, you cannot flash any file with Odin. Someone who tells you that you can flash any carrier's S5 firmware onto your S5 is demonstrably wrong. It will work in some cases and they are making a bad assumption that because it worked in one case that it can be universally done. As you found out firsthand, that is not true. Someone who assumes it is universally true and further presents that unfounded assertion as fact isn't exercising sound judgement.

This is an oversimplification, but to give you a rough idea of what is going on.. hidden.img.ext4 contains carrier specific information. And it is partitioned. So if you flash a firmware from another carrier and it happens to be formatted as a larger partition, the flash will corrupt the partition structure, leading to the Odin error writing to hidden.img.ex4 and soft brick your phone.

Long story short, don't blindly believe everyone that makes authoratative statements about what you can safely do. Try to understand the process as much as possible yourself, so that you can spot the worst inconsistencies. And look for a sense of how deep and consistent someone's knowledge of a subject is before taking their advice.

To recover after flashing an incompatible flash from another carrier, you would ideally flash a stock copy of hidden.img.ext4 and the PIT from the original carrier. If you don't care aout Knox, flashing CWM will typically resolve the issue as well. Also if you understand partitioning structures, better informed users can discern in advance if a carrier x firmware can be safely flashed or not.

Last edited by fffft; 14th July 2014 at 11:06 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fffft For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th July 2014, 08:54 AM   |  #16  
Flag Rotterdam(ned)

87 posts
More

Quote:
Originally Posted by fffft

That doesn't surprise me at all. As I said earlier, you cannot expect to flash any firmware with Odin. It is dismaying how many people state that you can do so when they don't really know that to be true. Or to be more precise, they think they know and want to help someone. But in fact, they don't understand the subject in any depth, have no reasonable basis to believe that they do and good intentions notwithstanding, do a real disservice by spreading dangerously inaccurate information.

To reiterate, you cannot flash any file with Odin. Someone who tells you that you can flash any carrier's S5 firmware onto your S5 is demonstrably wrong. It will work in some cases and they are making a bad assumption that because it worked in one case that it can be universally done. As you found out firsthand, that is not true. Someone who assumes it is universally true and further presents that unfounded assertion as fact isn't exercising sound judgement.

This is an oversimplification, but to give you a rough idea of what is going on.. hidden.img.ext4 contains carrier specific information. And it is partitioned. So if you flash a firmware from another carrier and it happens to be formatted as a larger partition, the flash will corrupt the partition structure, leading to the Odin error writing to hidden.img.ex4 and soft brick your phone.

Long story short, don't blindly believe everyone that makes authoratative statements about what you can safely do. Try to understand the process as much as possible yourself, so that you can spot the worst inconsistencies. And look for a sense of how deep and consistent someone's knowledge of a subject is before taking their advice.

To recover after flashing an incompatible flash from another carrier, you would ideally flash a stock copy of hidden.img.ext4 and the PIT from the original carrier. If you don't care out Knox, flashing CWM will typically resolve the issue as well. Also if you understand partitioning structures, better informed users can discern in advance if a carrier x firmware can be safely flashed or not.

Wow.. and wow (+thanks )

So (long story short): besides flashing CWM/TWRP/Philz i could flash a .pit from a 16GB S5 (of the same model) that comes with a PHN firmware, and then flash the PHN firmware itself and retain 0x0
Last edited by born4trance; 14th July 2014 at 09:20 AM.
14th July 2014, 09:24 AM   |  #17  
Thanks Meter: 541

1,827 posts
Quote:

So (long story short): besides flashing CWM/TWRP/Philz i could flash a .pit from a 16GB S5 that has a PHN firmware on it (and retain 0x0)

Flashing a custom recovery would increment Knox to 0x1. But it should remain 0x0 if you use the proper PIT corresponding to the new stock firmware. I haven't tested that (as I don't really care about Knox personally) but I don't see any logical reason that Knox would be concerned with that scenario, nor heard of any reports of it happening to anyone.

PHN.. is Netherlands? So assuming that you have say, a 16 GB SM-G900F, you should be able to flash a 900F PHN firmware successfully and safely if you do so in conjunction with a PIT file for a 16 GB PHN 900F. I presume that the flash won't trip Knox either but I have not actually done so personally.

Theoretically the write could still fail on an aboot auth failure but I haven't seen any evidence that carriers are locking down their bootloaders that tightly and don't think that would be a likely impediment.

Last edited by fffft; 14th July 2014 at 11:07 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fffft For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th July 2014, 10:08 AM   |  #18  
Flag Rotterdam(ned)

87 posts
More
Quote:

PHN.. is Netherands?

Correct: For non branded / SIM-lock free

Quote:

So assuming that you have say, a 16 GB SM-G900F, you should be able to flash a 900F PHN firmware successfully and safely if you do so in conjunction with a PIT file for a 16 GB PHN 900F. I presume that the flash won't trip Knox either but I have not actually done so personally.

I indeed own a SM-G900F and its also important to mention that the partition layout differs between 16GB/32GB models

Now to get ahold of the correct .pit (still looking)
Last edited by born4trance; 14th July 2014 at 10:18 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread