Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Is there a way to root my S5 without tripping Knox?

OP InfinityMeep

29th July 2014, 03:22 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

11 posts
Kernel version is june 24th and I have an Sm-G900W8 on Wind mobile. I've tried towelroot but it didn't work.
29th July 2014, 03:48 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 622

1,978 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityMeep

Is there a way to root my S5 without tripping Knox?

Yes.

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:35 PM ----------

Okay back, food in hand.
You didn't ask for details, but no doubt you'd like to have them regardless.

Quote:

Kernel version is june 24th and I have an Sm-G900W8 on Wind mobile. I've tried towelroot but it didn't work.

There have been reports that a recent OTA update has patched CVE-2014-3153 (closed the towel root exploit).

You should be able to use Odin to revert to a stock firmware build date prior to June 3rd. Then towel root will work and your Knox flag should remain at 0x0.

It's not an issue per se with the S5, but do not attempt to downgrade to JB (pre 4.3) as Samsung set a qfuse to block that. With such an attempt tending to brick phones.

The Following User Says Thank You to fffft For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th July 2014, 11:49 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

11 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fffft

Yes.

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:35 PM ----------

Okay back, food in hand.
You didn't ask for details, but no doubt you'd like to have them regardless.

There have been reports that a recent OTA update has patched CVE-2014-3153 (closed the towel root exploit).

You should be able to use Odin to revert to a stock firmware build date prior to June 3rd. Then towel root will work and your Knox flag should remain at 0x0.

It's not an issue per se with the S5, but do not attempt to downgrade to JB (pre 4.3) as Samsung set a qfuse to block that. With such an attempt tending to brick phones.

If I downgrade via Odin, will I risk bricking my phone? And is the samsung-updates site good for downloading firmware?
30th July 2014, 03:02 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 622

1,978 posts
Quote:

If I downgrade via Odin, will I risk bricking my phone? And is the samsung-updates site good for downloading firmware?

Any time you use Odin, you run a small risk of bricking a phone. You are writing critical system files and any glitch or power interruption could have dramatic consequences. But writing the correct stock firmware for your S5 /carrier doesn't add any extra or undue risk.

In the future Samsung might add a qfuse for this method. But as of today it works fine and quite a few people have done it successfully.

The Following User Says Thank You to fffft For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread