Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,674 Members 37,964 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Unlocking USA locked S 5

Tip us?

SilvanoP
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Unlocking USA locked S 5

Helllo,
I have a question, in Italy we have all cellphone unlocked to use with every carrier (there are some locked phone but there are less), but in USA i have a huge problem to find unlocked S 5. So my question is, could i take a used Verison,AT&T etc, and after flash with some cooked ROM and using Italian SIM?
Thank you very much

Wakamatsu
Old
Thanks Meter 191
Really?
Current phone: something with Android 4.something-something

simms22
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 21135
fortunately for us nexus 5 users, you can use the same phone on every provider, besides verizon. unfortunately for you, yours is locked, and you asked your question in the wrong forums. as this is the nexus 5 forums
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!

badboy47
Old
Thanks Meter 741

DONATE TO ME
>.>

fffft
Old
Thanks Meter 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvanoP View Post
could i take a used Verison,AT&T etc, and after flash with some cooked ROM and using Italian SIM?

This has been asked and answered numerous times, so the ideal way to have found an answer - not mention a quicker one would have been to search the forum for existing threads.

What you are describing is called region locking and is used to discourage black market sales of handsets intended for one region to another. You can purchase region unlock codes or even circumvent the region lock blacklist yourself on a rooted phone. For that matter, (limited) reports seem to indicate that SIM unlock codes also remove the region lock.

The Following User Says Thank You to fffft For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SilvanoP
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thank you for the answer,
for me was really hard to search because i don't fully understand the differences, also at shop (best buy/at&T/Radioshack etc) they wasn't able to make a clear difference from no contract, unlocked and 1 month contract. I would be glad to buy S5 unlocked, but it seems impossible (i was in San Francisco and LA) only on web, where amazon (which i thought was more efficient in USA) want +40$ and not guaranteed 1 day shipping (in Italy they are way more quicker and cheaper).
Only to have a quick answer i post it here, because i had to go to see a used phone (which after revealed to be a rooted and flashed with bad IME (like 22222225) i was surprised that in USA people try to cheat you).

SilvanoP
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Just want a quick question OP, th Sprint s5 it's impossible to flash for UE for working correctly with European SIM Call&data?