Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,631 Members 45,387 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] video codec issues?

Tip us?

yeahman45
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 64
Default [Q] video codec issues?

i am planning to buy the s5 but I have read a lot of issue concerning video playback? some codecs are missing and a lot of videos do not play on the s5? is there solution?

gee2012
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahman45 View Post
i am planning to buy the s5 but I have read a lot of issue concerning video playback? some codecs are missing and a lot of videos do not play on the s5? is there solution?
Yup, MX Player (Pro) is the best videplayer in Play imo and can play 99% of all excisting formats or look here http://www.hdformatconverter.com/gal...for-galaxy-s5/.
USE Search: /this thread /all threads/Google before posting your question, you`re most likely not the first one having this issue

yeahman45
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 64
how are videos playback on mx player ? software or hardware playback?

edit: and I don't want to convert my videos to play it on my phone... my old htc desire is able to play all videos formats I can imagine (except some full HD highly compressed vids)

gee2012
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,054
Quote:
how are videos playback on mx player ? software or hardware playback?
Both, you can choose either.
USE Search: /this thread /all threads/Google before posting your question, you`re most likely not the first one having this issue

yeahman45
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 64
so hardware video playback works for 99% of all videos you have tried?

gee2012
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,054
Quote:
so hardware video playback works for 99% of all videos you have tried?
Look here https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ayer.pro&hl=nl and an additional codec pack will be installed if need be. Off course i didn`t try 99% of all formats. i haven`t seen a format i use that cannot be played however.

lingowistico
Old
(Last edited by lingowistico; 1st September 2014 at 09:04 PM.)
Thanks Meter 158
Mxplayer is nice but the ads suck. And there's no way I'm paying for a pro version when there are free and opensource alternatives. Switched to VLC and now I can watch pirated movies with no ads for free

Samsung Galaxy S 5 SM-G900F
Rom - Neatrom 2.2
Recovery - TWRP

gee2012
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by lingowistico View Post
Mx is nice but the ads suck. Switched to VLC and now I can watch pirated movies with no ads
Not if you buy the Pro version and we don`t talk about warez or cracks on XDA

yeahman45
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 64
i was asking about hardware playback as software playback i think uses more cpu/hence more battery. If it's hardware playback then that's fine! I am using mx player on my htc desire anyway and i am used to it.

edit: i was afraid that other third party video players were not able to play on the s5 because of the codecs missing