[Q] vold.fstab - Swapping Internal / External SD Card(s)

Search This thread

zmag

Jan 25, 2011
Hey guys,

I haven't found any info on the forums about this yet. Does anyone know how to/or have a modified vold.fstab for the stock TouchWiz rom?

I have a general idea on what to do, but I'd rather not attempt this one by myself!

Thanks in advance - zmag

Airboner

Dec 17, 2013
Lucifer's City
Hey guys,

I haven't found any info on the forums about this yet. Does anyone know how to/or have a modified vold.fstab for the stock TouchWiz rom?

I have a general idea on what to do, but I'd rather not attempt this one by myself!

Thanks in advance - zmag

if u want just transfer what ever u want on your sd card from internal,just use link2sd and NextAppSDFix

zmag

Jan 25, 2011
Hehe well you're correct thatsupnow, but I did consider Link2SD Pro - but I would rather edit the vold.fstab directly (and correctly) ;)

There's also an app on the play store (free) called Root External 2 Internal SD, but it looks like it was made for the GS3 - again, would rather edit the source than install another app.

I am using NextAppSDFix at the moment, until I install Xposed and use the Xposed mod (which I suppose is no different than using the app)

But I havent seen any modded vold.fstab files for the GS5 yet, which honestly is surprising to me. I figured someone would've had one by now...

Maybe there's a rom that has this already? and can be used on the stock ND2 rom? Any input on the subject is greatly appreciated. Just wanna use my 64gb card instead of having 10gb.

Thanks in advance! - zmag

Last edited:

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
zmag said:
I haven't found any info on the forums about this yet.

You didn't search very far if you didn't run smack into at least half a dozen forum threads detailing various ways to swap the internal and external SD cards. Not to mention threads that explain at length how to edit vold.fstab. However, while vold.fstab maps sysfs devices to filesystem mount points, it isn't a good idea to edit it directly as an update would easily break your mod..

A better method is to swap the internal and external SD cards is to employ a script to remount the two storage locations. Then transpose them using the -bind switch. A script to do this can be found here.

zmag

Jan 25, 2011
Ok, well I meant in the S5 forums - I didn't know that the S4 scripts applied at all.

Sorry for the trouble... I'm coming from an HTC Evo 4G LTE, I'm still getting acquainted with Samsung's file system.

I don't plan on updating from ND2 any time soon. If I do, I usually try and make a nandroid backup first just in case anything breaks on me.

Thanks again for the help!

Last edited:

kaigra

Feb 16, 2017
my samsung s5 is not detecting the microsd

please help.
i tried in other cells the microsd and its working, and with a root software i can see that the cell read the microsd, but i cant use ir and i need more space in my cell.
or if someone please can copy and paste here the vold.fstab for the verizon samsung s5.
thanks