Major Update for the Sony Smartwatch 2 Brings DND and More

With the wearables landscape now dominated by Android Wear and Pebble, its … more

How to Root Android Wear 5.0.1 Lollipop Devices – XDA TV

The Lollipop update for Android Wear devices has hit the market and people are … more

Android 5.0.2 and New Factory Images For Nexus 7 (Wi-Fi) Available

Android 5.0 is has been publicly available since early November, and the … more

Github Tutorial App Shows You How to Use… Github

Github can get pretty complicated and using it can become quite daunting, especially … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] vold.fstab - Swapping Internal / External SD Card(s)

OP zmag

18th August 2014, 12:47 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 82

347 posts
Hey guys,

I haven't found any info on the forums about this yet. Does anyone know how to/or have a modified vold.fstab for the stock TouchWiz rom?

I have a general idea on what to do, but I'd rather not attempt this one by myself!

Thanks in advance - zmag
18th August 2014, 12:53 AM   |  #2  
Flag Lucifer's City
Thanks Meter: 32

298 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmag

Hey guys,

I haven't found any info on the forums about this yet. Does anyone know how to/or have a modified vold.fstab for the stock TouchWiz rom?

I have a general idea on what to do, but I'd rather not attempt this one by myself!

Thanks in advance - zmag

if u want just transfer what ever u want on your sd card from internal,just use link2sd and NextAppSDFix
18th August 2014, 04:19 AM   |  #3  
Flag Vernon
Thanks Meter: 387

1,792 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboner

if u want just transfer what ever u want on your sd card from internal,just use link2sd and NextAppSDFix

That's not what he's talking about. He wants to use his extSdCard as his internal storage. I used that on my s4 with a 64gb class 10 with awesome results
18th August 2014, 05:01 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

347 posts
Hehe well you're correct thatsupnow, but I did consider Link2SD Pro - but I would rather edit the vold.fstab directly (and correctly)

There's also an app on the play store (free) called Root External 2 Internal SD, but it looks like it was made for the GS3 - again, would rather edit the source than install another app.

I am using NextAppSDFix at the moment, until I install Xposed and use the Xposed mod (which I suppose is no different than using the app)

But I havent seen any modded vold.fstab files for the GS5 yet, which honestly is surprising to me. I figured someone would've had one by now...

Maybe there's a rom that has this already? and can be used on the stock ND2 rom? Any input on the subject is greatly appreciated. Just wanna use my 64gb card instead of having 10gb.

Thanks in advance! - zmag
Last edited by zmag; 18th August 2014 at 05:03 AM.
18th August 2014, 05:50 AM   |  #5  
Flag Vernon
Thanks Meter: 387

1,792 posts
More
Yeah man development has been pretty slow. I wonder if the mod for the s4 could be manipulated to work on the s5?
18th August 2014, 08:31 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 621

1,978 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmag

I haven't found any info on the forums about this yet.

You didn't search very far if you didn't run smack into at least half a dozen forum threads detailing various ways to swap the internal and external SD cards. Not to mention threads that explain at length how to edit vold.fstab. However, while vold.fstab maps sysfs devices to filesystem mount points, it isn't a good idea to edit it directly as an update would easily break your mod..

A better method is to swap the internal and external SD cards is to employ a script to remount the two storage locations. Then transpose them using the -bind switch. A script to do this can be found here.

19th August 2014, 04:43 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

347 posts
Ok, well I meant in the S5 forums - I didn't know that the S4 scripts applied at all.

Sorry for the trouble... I'm coming from an HTC Evo 4G LTE, I'm still getting acquainted with Samsung's file system.

I don't plan on updating from ND2 any time soon. If I do, I usually try and make a nandroid backup first just in case anything breaks on me.

Thanks again for the help!
Last edited by zmag; 19th August 2014 at 04:46 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
galaxy s5, sgs5, vold, vold.fstab
Previous Thread Next Thread