Different camera sensors? Isocell vs imx240?

Search This thread

Bananaz

Apr 1, 2008
So some users(me included) reports that their s6 have a isocell sensor instead sony imx240.
With note 4 has the same drama, and some people defend is just a string error.

Is really the same sensor with different string?
Is the sensor the same, just made by other manufacturer?

Because honestly mine s6 reports an isocell sensor, and i feel, dunno if is only different to my eyes, the photos from a imx240 look better.

ISOCELL
MOiAZQY.png

Sony
gsmarena_001.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:

omrij

Mar 5, 2009
Mine showing isocell like the first photo. Actual results are great so I'm satisfied.

sdfsdfsfs

Oct 29, 2014
aridaia
So some users(me included) reports that their s6 have a isocell sensor instead sony imx240.

Because honestly mine s6 reports an isocell sensor, and i feel, dunno if is only different to my eyes, the photos from a imx240 look better.

ISOCELL
MOiAZQY.png

Sony
gsmarena_001.jpg

Thanks

i have the sony imx240 sensor...here is my photo.do you have the same level of detail?

Reactions: ming86

Bananaz

Apr 1, 2008
One pic from my phone.
Your picture feels better overall.
Or its only in my eyes.

test.jpg

se1000

Feb 14, 2011

Thanks

Supposedly, it's just how the kernel is reporting the ISP, not the sensor itself.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=55749031&postcount=44

Bananaz

Apr 1, 2008
Or maybe is just other manufacturer for the same sensor.
I dont know, but is weird.

TheEndHK

Apr 25, 2011
Supposedly, it's just how the kernel is reporting the ISP, not the sensor itself.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=55749031&postcount=44

But what if the kernel answer is right.... :D

---------- Post added at 02:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 AM ----------

One pic from my phone.
Or its only in my eyes.

It looks like IMX240 real beats ISOCell even at outdoor now.

se1000

Feb 14, 2011

DevonSloan

Oct 20, 2011
One pic from my phone.
Or its only in my eyes.

I disagree. Yours has amazing detail in the sky/clouds, he has a more interesting photo and composition. I think it's the difference in content that is creating a perceived difference. The only way it will be determined is to take the same picture at the same place and same time with the two sensors. :/

Svendrae

May 19, 2010
Hi,

I wonder why Samsung use a Sony sensor at Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S6. Last year Isocell was a big thing for the Galaxy S5 because of good quality and the ability for a fast focus.

And the pictures was really great for a smartphone, in my opinion the best Android Camera in 2014.

Now Samsung using a Sony Sensor and I want to know: why?
My Galaxy S6 has the IMX Sensor from Sony and pictures are very good and a little better like the Galaxy S5 pictures. But I expected a new version of isocell Sensor.

Why does Samsung drop it?

DevonSloan

Oct 20, 2011

I'm certain it's one of only two things: either the Sony is better, or it's cheaper. (Or both.)

Would it be beneficial at all for for us to give our region, carrier, and sensor? Does getting more info like that help figure out the difference? (If it's not just a string read error.)

I'm:
CA, USA
Sprint
Sony

Last edited:

se1000

Feb 14, 2011
ISP should be the same this time because we are all on Exynos ISP.

Not necessarily.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Samsung+Galaxy+S6+Teardown/39174 - check out step 10. "Samsung C2N8AF"

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Samsung+Galaxy+S6+Edge+Teardown/39158 - step 11 "Samsung C2N89U"

These could just be inter changeable but just sourced from different manufacturers.

---------- Post added at 12:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 PM ----------

Hi,

I wonder why Samsung use a Sony sensor at Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S6. Last year Isocell was a big thing for the Galaxy S5 because of good quality and the ability for a fast focus.

And the pictures was really great for a smartphone, in my opinion the best Android Camera in 2014.

My Galaxy S6 has the IMX Sensor from Sony and pictures are very good and a little better like the Galaxy S5 pictures. But I expected a new version of isocell Sensor.

Sony imaging sensors are highly regarded as some of the best sensors in the industry, not only for smartphones but also for DSLR's, etc. Sony makes most of the sensors that are in high end Nikon DSLR's.

TheEndHK

Apr 25, 2011
Hi,

The ISOCell quality at low light isn't good enough and Sony is still better but ISOCell was managed to outperform Sony at outdoor when compared to like IMX135. This time IMX240 is doing good both outdoor and indoor.

The sales of Samsung is dropping too and hard to maintain a production line but if S6/S6E and Note5 sales real good then ISOCell 2nd gen is possible to happen in the future.

---------- Post added at 04:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 AM ----------

They are still Exynos ISP because they used different size to fit on the PCB and Samsung gave them with two model number. If you copy and paste out of two chips in photoshop and you will see the one on S6 is slightly larger than S6E.

Reactions: Svendrae

se1000

Feb 14, 2011
The ISOCell quality at low light isn't good enough and Sony is still better but ISOCell was managed to outperform Sony at outdoor when compared to like IMX135. This time IMX240 is doing good both outdoor and indoor.

The sales of Samsung is dropping too and hard to maintain a production line but if S6/S6E and Note5 sales real good then ISOCell 2nd gen is possible to happen in the future.

---------- Post added at 04:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 AM ----------

They are still Exynos ISP because they used different size to fit on the PCB and Samsung gave them with two model number. If you copy and paste out of two chips in photoshop and you will see the one on S6 is slightly larger than S6E.

Right but the point is, the ISP is separate from the sensor itself.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You are absolutely right. I was sure I had been reading it somewhere. But i guess it was on all the tech sites. I just hope the difference isn't too big. I like the Images that mine take with the isocell. But it's freaking annoying if there's a version out there with a better sensor, even if it is only slightly better. But would be nice if someone could do a comparison between the two. Or better, open up the one claiming to have the isocell.

Sendt fra min SM-G920F med Tapatalk

I'm from SamMobile I'll be taking Pictures tonight with both cameras and post a comparison tomorrow..
    I'm very happy with the ISOCELL sensor. See my results!

Yellow Flower by Karl, on Flickr

Flower3 by Karl, on Flickr

Claire and Brielle by Karl, on Flickr

Mill Lake S6 Edge by Karl, on Flickr
    I can't believe this thread. I understand it's XDA, but some people take it too far - the casual crowd comes and wants to replace a phone because it has Isocell? Really?

I have two Galaxy S6 phones, one for private use, and one edge for work. I have Isocell in my private phone, Sony in my work phone.
    When I received my private phone first I was amazed at the photo quality, coming from the S4 I couldn't believe at how far the mobile photography went. No matter what I want to photograph, comes out really great, and the low-light shots? You gotta be kidding me at how technology progressed within just 2 years and what Samsung has done in such relatively small unit.

Before getting the phone I saw the comparisons of sensors and couldn't help but notice slightly more pleasant colors on the Sony sensor, so when I checked that my private unit had Isocell I thought, oh well, almost equal but maybe it would be nice to have the Sony one for more vibrancy. And that was before the firmware updates when there were visible color reproduction differences between units!
    I still absolutely loved the camera, and I can't understand how such minimal thing can change someone's attitute towards the camera and make it not appreciate what it is - which is still the best smartphone camera package (maybe except Nokia 1020), no matter if with Samsung or Sony sensor.

The difference between device optics vary between devices more than those equally speccd sensors, the difference between battery capacity and sillicon quality vary more between devices, the screen quality and uniformity varies far more from unit to unit, even though Samsung is awesome in consistency of using the same Amoled panel per line of devices. How would you be bummed out by having an Isocell sensor? REALLY? Why would you let something mostly imaginary ruin the experience with such amazing camera?
    I would say there's definitely a difference and the Sony sensor is definitely better. The ISOCELL photo is a little bit washed out and details are softer throughout when you compare 1:1 crops.
    By a hair's breadth but you are right, the IMX looks a bit better.

EDIT: Just made this in order to easily appreciate the differences.
    Rtkm8Cj.jpg

fFWoN5q.jpg