[Q] How do I fix my terrible S6 battery life?

Search This thread

davidfoong

Jul 6, 2015
Hi guys. I just created an account to these forums. I've used them before when rooting a previous phone. I have a problem with my new S6. I got it about three weeks ago, and I love it. The only problem I have is the incredibly short battery life. There has to be a problem with my phone, because I'll have a battery life of about 5 hours on a good day, but usually 2 or 3. The phone will get mildly hot, and all battery will drain rapidly. I will regularly lose ~40-50% in an hour after it starts heating up. I've been simply dealing with it for a while, after a failed attempt to find a solution on Google. I regularly close my apps, and I even have powersaver on at all times now. Last night, I closed all apps, then restarted my phone. It was at 98 when I fell asleep. I woke up 9 hours later and it was dead. I have checked the battery info a couple times, but I don't ever see anything rapidly draining battery. Could this be a hardware problem?

I have a Verizon S6 regular. Model number SM-G920V

sol_671

Apr 8, 2011
Dededo
I suggest reinstalling the software using Samsung's smart manager and updating to 5.1.1, I never had your issues but noticed a big improvement with battery life. I'm sure you have a rogue app somewhere running havoc. There's also a lot of things you can do to improve battery life after reset, like disabling background data on certain apps that you need need constantly connecting and using data like Facebook when it's not even in use. Just play around with your phone to know the ins and outs

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using Tapatalk

davidfoong

Jul 6, 2015
I suggest reinstalling the software using Samsung's smart manager and updating to 5.1.1, I never had your issues but noticed a big improvement with battery life. I'm sure you have a rogue app somewhere running havoc. There's also a lot of things you can do to improve battery life after reset, like disabling background data on certain apps that you need need constantly connecting and using data like Facebook when it's not even in use. Just play around with your phone to know the ins and outs

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the suggestion. Where is the Smart Manager? I Googled it, and found a thread saying
It is included on the phone, however there is no way to access it that I've found. You can find it under Application Manager - ALL. Scroll down to Smart Manager and select it, you will find that the app is running but we are cannot access it and the DISABLE button is grayed out. My guess is that Verizon wants us to use their My Verizon Mobile app instead of Smart Manager. I heard that AT&T did the same thing.

.apk

Oct 18, 2012
I suggest wiping the cache. I was experiencing a similar issue. After wiping the cache, consumption return to normal.

Cooldato

Jul 29, 2013
Tbilisi
Hi guys. I just created an account to these forums. I've used them before when rooting a previous phone. I have a problem with my new S6. I got it about three weeks ago, and I love it. The only problem I have is the incredibly short battery life. There has to be a problem with my phone, because I'll have a battery life of about 5 hours on a good day, but usually 2 or 3. The phone will get mildly hot, and all battery will drain rapidly. I will regularly lose ~40-50% in an hour after it starts heating up. I've been simply dealing with it for a while, after a failed attempt to find a solution on Google. I regularly close my apps, and I even have powersaver on at all times now. Last night, I closed all apps, then restarted my phone. It was at 98 when I fell asleep. I woke up 9 hours later and it was dead. I have checked the battery info a couple times, but I don't ever see anything rapidly draining battery. Could this be a hardware problem?

98% gone during 9 hours of sleeping? wow...

1) Do the factory reset, full wipe and see if its gonna get any better.
2) If still the same problem, then download latest firmware for your model from sammobile.com http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/database/SM-G920V/ and flash it via Odin / Download mode

If still the same issue, then contact samsung for the warranty :X

DaWeav

Sep 8, 2009

You might try a Sprint fix since your Verizon S6 has CDMA too. Since you've got a Verizon phone, this setting may be somewhat different. On my Sprint S6, I changed the setting under 'Mobile Network', then 'Network Mode' to LTE/CDMA' instead of 'Automatic'. That made my battery life much better. I think I remember a friend with a Verizon S6 and it had 'Global' instead of 'Automatic'. So change it out of 'Global' mode and see what happens.