[HOW-TO] [ROOT] Root Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P31XX using Linux

OP jrc2

25th July 2014, 09:39 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 270

1,036 posts
Donate to Me
More
This guide will teach you how to root the Tab 2 7.0 P3110 and P3113 running Android version 4.1+ in Linux. I tested this with 4.1.2, but it should work on anything later and possibly ICS (This has not been tested in ICS, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.)

NOTICE: I am not responsible for what happens to your tablet! Make sure you use the correct files for your tablet model. This has been successfully tested on my P3113. THIS WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY AND IF ANYTHING GOES WRONG COULD BRICK YOUR TAB!!! Proceed at your own risk!

Prerequisites: Admin account on Linux computer and tablet charged to 80% or higher

1. Download and install Heimdall and Heimdall Frontend from http://glassechidna.com.au/heimdall/

2. Download 51-android.rules and 70-android.rules from Files to Root ***.zip at the bottom of this post. Make sure you use the correct file for your tablet model.

3. Copy the .rules files into /etc/udev/rules.d and set as executable. Reboot computer

4. Copy the ***.pit from Files to Root ***.zip at the bottom of this post to the directory of your choice. Again, make sure you use the correct file for your tablet model.

5. Download SuperSU zip and this TWRP file for P311X or this TWRP file for P3100 (click names for links.) This version of TWRP will be able to flash KitKat ROMs. Decompress the TWRP tar.md5 file to get a recovery.img file and copy the SuperSU zip to your tablet.

6. Enable USB Debugging on your tablet and reboot into download mode (power off then hold in power and volume down)

7. Open Heimdall Frontend (make sure you run as admin) and click utilities then detect device. It should say "Device Detected"

8. Go into the flash section. In pit section, select the previously downloaded p311x.pit file. DO NOT check repartition.

9. In partition files section, click "Add." Select RECOVERY from the dropdown and select the recovery.img that you decompressed from the tar.md5 file.

10. Double check everything to make sure it is correct. Check the "No Reboot" box and click "Start."

11. If everything went well, you should get to 100%. Wait 10 seconds and disconnect the tablet from the computer. Reboot into recovery by holding down power and volume up.

12. Select "Install" and navigate to the SuperSU zip file. Flash the file and then click "Wipe Cache/Dalvik." Once that is done, select "Back" and "Reboot System"

You have now rooted your Tab 2 P31XX! If you have any question or need screenshots for something, feel free to post in the thread.
If I missed anything, please let me know!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Files to Root P311X.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.2 KB, 122 views)
File Type: zip Files_to_Root_P3100.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.2 KB, 80 views)
Last edited by jrc2; 9th September 2014 at 02:36 PM. Reason: add p3100 files and modified instructions accordingly
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jrc2 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th July 2014, 09:40 PM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member

1,036 posts
Donate to Me
More
Credits:

Glass Echidna & @Benjamin Dobell (Heimdall)
@Chainfire (SuperSU)
@Android-Andi (TWRP Recovery)
@jrc2 [me] (p311x.pit file, **-android.rules files)
@statmonkey (P3100 pit file)
AND whoever I found the tutorial from to make the android.rules file way back when...

If this thread was helpful, press the THANKS button!
Last edited by jrc2; 23rd August 2014 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Add Credits page.
26th July 2014, 04:11 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

1,036 posts
Donate to Me
More
reserved
Last edited by jrc2; 8th August 2014 at 02:56 PM.
16th August 2014, 04:05 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

1,036 posts
Donate to Me
More
reserved
Last edited by jrc2; 8th September 2014 at 04:07 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc2 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd August 2014, 06:43 AM   |  #5  
Flag Phuket
Thanks Meter: 12

27 posts
More
Error
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc2

Over 600 views and no replies or thanks?!?! Hmm, I hope that this thread is still helping people. Bump

Sent from my SGH-T989

Thanks for this. Very well written guide and thought this would be a breeze ..... but .......

I am having an issue and not sure where to start looking. I have a GT-P3100 that I picked up in Thailand and am connecting from a Linux Debian box. Everything goes well until I try to add TWRP from Heimdall (Step 11). It starts through the process and then stops saying ERROR:Protocol Intialisation failed. Heimdall is still connected, the device seems to be fine and I can reboot into my system with no issues but obviously can't go any farther since TWRP isn't there. I am using the TWRP that you suggested for the 3100 and have used the steps you suggested for that device.
Last edited by statmonkey; 23rd August 2014 at 06:53 AM.
23rd August 2014, 01:24 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

1,036 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by statmonkey

Thanks for this. Very well written guide and thought this would be a breeze ..... but .......

I am having an issue and not sure where to start looking. I have a GT-P3100 that I picked up in Thailand and am connecting from a Linux Debian box. Everything goes well until I try to add TWRP from Heimdall (Step 11). It starts through the process and then stops saying ERROR:Protocol Intialisation failed. Heimdall is still connected, the device seems to be fine and I can reboot into my system with no issues but obviously can't go any farther since TWRP isn't there. I am using the TWRP that you suggested for the 3100 and have used the steps you suggested for that device.

Did you do the download pit part for the 3100? It might use a different pit file. Also, what version of heimdall and heimdall front-end are you using? Did you run the front-end as root in terminal like this:

Code:
cd path/to/heimdall (CLICK ENTER)
sudo heimdall-frontend (CLICK ENTER)
Also, if you made a 3100 pit file, could you pm me link to download so I can post it here so other people can use it?

Sent from my SGH-T989
Last edited by jrc2; 8th September 2014 at 04:08 AM.
23rd August 2014, 01:30 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

1,036 posts
Donate to Me
More
I just remembered what was causing that problem for me. After you download pit in Heimdall, disconnect the tab, reboot it, restart Heimdall, and boot back into download mode. Connect the tab to your computer and click on detect device. Put the pit file you downloaded from the tab in the pit space in the flash tab. Add the recovery image and click flash. I forgot in my previous post that after clicking on download pit, you have to reboot back into download mode and restart Heimdall to make it work.

Have a good day,
jrc2

Sent from my SGH-T989
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc2 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd August 2014, 06:02 PM   |  #8  
Flag Phuket
Thanks Meter: 12

27 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc2

I just remembered what was causing that problem for me. After you download pit in Heimdall, disconnect the tab, reboot it, restart Heimdall, and boot back into download mode. Connect the tab to your computer and click on detect device. Put the pit file you downloaded from the tab in the pit space in the flash tab. Add the recovery image and click flash. I forgot in my previous post that after clicking on download pit, you have to reboot back into download mode and restart Heimdall to make it work.

Have a good day,
jrc2

Sent from my SGH-T989

That makes some sense. When I was trying this before I really didn't grok on what the point was. It actually makes more sense to me that I would need to reset the environment. Anyway, will try and test this out as soon as I can. Thank you for your help and I pm'd that pit file to you.

---------- Post added at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 PM ----------

Sorry for the double post but I was a little giddy at the prospect of finally getting this done. Ran out of a dinner party to test this. Anyway, works a treat. Followed the additional notes to the letter and boom like that we are back and rooted. Many thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to statmonkey For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd August 2014, 07:13 PM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member

1,036 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by statmonkey

That makes some sense. When I was trying this before I really didn't grok on what the point was. It actually makes more sense to me that I would need to reset the environment. Anyway, will try and test this out as soon as I can. Thank you for your help and I pm'd that pit file to you.

---------- Post added at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 PM ----------

Sorry for the double post but I was a little giddy at the prospect of finally getting this done. Ran out of a dinner party to test this. Anyway, works a treat. Followed the additional notes to the letter and boom like that we are back and rooted. Many thanks!

No problem. I'm going to put the pit file you pm'd me in the OP and add you to the credits.

Edit: done! No one else will have the problem you were having since I have the pit file uploaded. Thanks again for it See, who says junior members can't contribute anything? Not I!
Last edited by jrc2; 23rd August 2014 at 08:35 PM.
11th November 2014, 04:00 PM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member

1,036 posts
Donate to Me
More
Bump

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
linux, p3100, p311x, root, samsung
Previous Thread Next Thread