Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Recovery] Philz Adv CWM 6.55.0 - CWM 6.0.5.0 - TWRP v2.7.1.0 - AROMAFM GT-P52XX

OP moonbutt74

16th November 2014, 04:19 PM   |  #71  
Thanks Meter: 96

504 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbutt74

you can flash 'em back and forth.
twrp is better if you are working in a repair service/corporate-business mode where you have to flash a lot of devices
due to it's layout, easy handling, and speediness. however it can be twitchy.

philz is cwm recovery with a facelift and some addition options and is rock solid.

users on the other hand can be VERY unreliable.

I changed over to TWRP and it is happy with the exFAT 64G extSDcard. PhilZ will not read this card. TWRP mounted and backed up directly to the extSTcard. These TW based ROM's are so huge compared to AOSP ROM's and just a few backups can kill my 16G internal memory.

My aged brain seems to remember this from much earlier and I'm having a deja vu. I'm so used to TWRP and I have come to prefer it so I think I will hang with it. Do you know why @Restl3ss preferes and recommends PhilZ? Is it just preference too? He can't be wasting his time trying each build with every different possible recovery, so he picks the recovery he is more comfortable with? You aren't aware of any special reason unique to this ROM why TRWP wouldn't be adequate, do you?
Last edited by kb8no; 16th November 2014 at 04:24 PM.
16th November 2014, 04:23 PM   |  #72  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 417

898 posts
We gravitate naturally towards what works for us.

m
1st December 2014, 08:38 AM   |  #73  
Thanks Meter: 109

294 posts
I like this recovery. It has a nice interface and it's not laggy like twrp. But this cwm is having problems restoring data on my device GT-P5200. Luckly for me I maded with twrp a backup (just in case) which I was able to restore without problems. Also this cwm can not create a backup in twrp mode (again problem with backing up data). In rest it behaves normally with flashing zips. But I need the backup and recovery functions.
I'm using stock rooted deodexed 4.4.2 rom.
By the way I tried creating and restoring backups with or without md5 check, create, etc. It creates a backup without problem, but if I want to restore the backup or create another one in twrp mode it crashes at "data".
Last edited by LaShto34; 1st December 2014 at 08:44 AM.
1st December 2014, 04:40 PM   |  #74  
OP Senior Member

898 posts
hi
I compiled this recovery because it was what I needed. I shared that with the community. I had no need for twrp mode
so skipped it. You are more than welcome to download the sources and build the recovery you need.
In the beginning it's a little stressful but you'll get the hang of things.
When and if out tabs get Android 5 and a new recovery is needed I'll get back to it if someone else doesn't first.

m
The Following User Says Thank You to moonbutt74 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st December 2014, 06:16 PM   |  #75  
Thanks Meter: 109

294 posts
Ok. I understand. I thought I did something wrong. Because you said that backup and restore is working and on my GT-P5200, with stock deodexed rom, restore didn't. Luckly for me I had a twrp backup, or else I should have to reinstall the whole rom again, apps, etc.
In conclusion it's not my fault, but this cwm it's buggy on my device. Thanks for the quick answer and I wish you a great day.

I love people who press thanks just because their master farted.
Last edited by LaShto34; 1st December 2014 at 07:18 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to LaShto34 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st December 2014, 07:34 PM   |  #76  
OP Senior Member

898 posts
LaShto34,

You farted !

What errors for p5200 did you guys encounter ?
Did you use the version for p5200 ?
If you made a successful backup you restoration should be the same.
I did not intend to imply fault or assign blame, the recovery is simply what it is and does what it's meant to do.
Being tested thoroughly [i never spell that rite.... ] , and with hundreds of downloads and only a handful
of issues , it is reasonable to suspect a user error.

If it will help, I myself keep a copy of both my philz and twrp recovery builds on my tab and switch/flash depending
on my needs. If you are specific/accurate as to the details of your issue then i can be the same with an answer/solution
if one is indeed warranted.

m
10th December 2014, 04:07 PM   |  #77  
Flag Edmond, OK
Thanks Meter: 107

404 posts
More
moonbutt74 - I read somewhere that Philsz recovery had a feature to make a flashable ROM zip of the ROM. If so, does your version have that and does it work?

Thanks for your work for our Tab 3 10.1
10th December 2014, 04:17 PM   |  #78  
OP Senior Member

898 posts
OKAstro

Hi,

every version/build of philz, including mine, and across all the tabs i own, gt-p5210 sm-t210r gt-p3113 sm-t530nu gt-n8013
the process always fails. [EXTREME FROWNY FACE]
so i would have to say no. If you manage to get it to work, would you please provide a full and clear description
of the process ? I'm at least 100 million % certain it's something i'm doing wrong.

thanks.

m
10th December 2014, 10:03 PM   |  #79  
Flag Edmond, OK
Thanks Meter: 107

404 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbutt74

OKAstro

Hi,

every version/build of philz, including mine, and across all the tabs i own, gt-p5210 sm-t210r gt-p3113 sm-t530nu gt-n8013
the process always fails. [EXTREME FROWNY FACE]
so i would have to say no. If you manage to get it to work, would you please provide a full and clear description
of the process ? I'm at least 100 million % certain it's something i'm doing wrong.

thanks.

m

Well thanks for trying...I'm afraid that is WAY out of my league

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread