Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,571 Members 51,502 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Newb Question about: SAMSUNG GALAXY TAB 3 SM-T210R 7.0"

Tip us?
 
trinitykilla
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Phone [Q] Newb Question about: SAMSUNG GALAXY TAB 3 SM-T210R 7.0"

Hello. I bought a SM-T210R for my daughter she burnt through her 8GB pretty fast. I told her to just move her apps to the SD card..... Than I found out you couldn't. I rooted it. I would like to know if there is a good app to use to move the apps. I tried some of the apps on the store app2sd, and a few others. They don't seem to work and suggest you ask Samsung for a new rom.... Any Ideas? I am sure it has been asked before, I was looking through all the threads couldn't seem to locate one. So I am sorry if you are answering this question yet again Thank you in advance.
 
trazfer
Old
#2  
trazfer's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 86
Posts: 179
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Philippines
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinitykilla View Post
Hello. I bought a SM-T210R for my daughter she burnt through her 8GB pretty fast. I told her to just move her apps to the SD card..... Than I found out you couldn't. I rooted it. I would like to know if there is a good app to use to move the apps. I tried some of the apps on the store app2sd, and a few others. They don't seem to work and suggest you ask Samsung for a new rom.... Any Ideas? I am sure it has been asked before, I was looking through all the threads couldn't seem to locate one. So I am sorry if you are answering this question yet again Thank you in advance.
Gl to sd (root) or foldermount. I am not responsible for any damages to your tablet. But these two apps worked for me.

Sent from my SM-T210R using XDA Free mobile app
 
trinitykilla
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by trazfer View Post
Gl to sd (root) or foldermount. I am not responsible for any damages to your tablet. But these two apps worked for me.

Sent from my SM-T210R using XDA Free mobile app
Thanks for the suggestion I'll giveum a shot. But note I hold everyone responsible for damages!!!!! First you, Then Obama and then THE WORLD muhahahahahahaha!!!!

Really tho thanks
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trinitykilla For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
dsilx
Old
#4  
dsilx's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 59
Posts: 119
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: fort campbell
Default 4.2.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinitykilla View Post
Thanks for the suggestion I'll giveum a shot. But note I hold everyone responsible for damages!!!!! First you, Then Obama and then THE WORLD muhahahahahahaha!!!!

Really tho thanks
Hi I know android 4.2.2hasent been officially released for our tablet but a Dev called @mkaymuzik has been porting it works really good and it has move apps to sd card just incase his doesnt help
The Following User Says Thank You to dsilx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
bakageta
Old
(Last edited by bakageta; 5th July 2014 at 03:45 AM.)
#5  
bakageta's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 85
Posts: 231
Join Date: Jan 2010
Since you're already rooted and (I assume) running a custom recovery, there's a somewhat easy solution for this. First, back up everything from the internal memory located at /sdcard, and copy it all over to whatever physical SD card you plan on using - I went with a 64gb. This is probably fastest if you just back up all of /sdcard to the pc, and use some kind of card reader to transfer it over, you'll get much better speed, but you can do this all over MTP with the usb cable if you don't have a reader. Next, reboot into recovery and flash this kernel, which among other things adds support for a storage swap. Clear the cache for good measure, this won't affect any user data. Reboot, and using a terminal emulator or adb shell, run the following command:

Code:
su
setprop persist.customboot.sdcard internal
Reboot once more, and you'll find your physical sdcard is now mounted as /sdcard, while the internal is mounted as /.sdcard (which virtually nothing will use, but that's fine). Any large games you install should put their data in /sdcard/Android/obb, or /sdcard/Android/data, or just random folders on /sdcard, all of which are now your physical card. Once you've finished the swap, you'll want to delete most/all of the files on /.sdcard, since everything there directly uses space in /data/media. Now the only thing that will eat up your internal memory are actual .apk files.

This does have one downside, the storage interface in settings doesn't really know what to think of the mod. It will claim you only have 8gb internal, but then show the free space available on the physical card. If you've got more than 8gb of stuff on the card the bar graph is completely useless, but at least the text does show the correct free amount. I've currently got around 20gb of misc games installed and working great, however if you have any Humble Bundle games keep in mind that these don't use .obb files and the larger ones will quickly eat up your internal space with gigantic .apk files.

You might also want to disable zram once you flash the new kernel. It compresses ram that's not actively being used, effectively giving you more ram at the cost of cpu/battery. I find we have plenty of ram and I'd rather have longer battery life. As root, the command is:

Code:
setprop persist.service.zram 0
You'll need a reboot after running it, of course, but you can enable the sd card swap and disable zram at the same time, rebooting only once.

This is probably the most transparent method, once it's set up you won't need to manually move new apps as you install them, and you don't need to worry about apps that write to random locations on the sdcard.
The Following User Says Thank You to bakageta For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
trinitykilla
Old
#6  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakageta View Post
Since you're already rooted and (I assume) running a custom recovery, there's a somewhat easy solution for this. First, back up everything from the internal memory located at /sdcard, and copy it all over to whatever physical SD card you plan on using - I went with a 64gb. This is probably fastest if you just back up all of /sdcard to the pc, and use some kind of card reader to transfer it over, you'll get much better speed, but you can do this all over MTP with the usb cable if you don't have a reader. Next, reboot into recovery and flash this kernel, which among other things adds support for a storage swap. Clear the cache for good measure, this won't affect any user data. Reboot, and using a terminal emulator or adb shell, run the following command:

Code:
su
setprop persist.customboot.sdcard internal
Reboot once more, and you'll find your physical sdcard is now mounted as /sdcard, while the internal is mounted as /.sdcard (which virtually nothing will use, but that's fine). Any large games you install should put their data in /sdcard/Android/obb, or /sdcard/Android/data, or just random folders on /sdcard, all of which are now your physical card. Once you've finished the swap, you'll want to delete most/all of the files on /.sdcard, since everything there directly uses space in /data/media. Now the only thing that will eat up your internal memory are actual .apk files.

This does have one downside, the storage interface in settings doesn't really know what to think of the mod. It will claim you only have 8gb internal, but then show the free space available on the physical card. If you've got more than 8gb of stuff on the card the bar graph is completely useless, but at least the text does show the correct free amount. I've currently got around 20gb of misc games installed and working great, however if you have any Humble Bundle games keep in mind that these don't use .obb files and the larger ones will quickly eat up your internal space with gigantic .apk files.

You might also want to disable zram once you flash the new kernel. It compresses ram that's not actively being used, effectively giving you more ram at the cost of cpu/battery. I find we have plenty of ram and I'd rather have longer battery life. As root, the command is:

Code:
setprop persist.service.zram 0
You'll need a reboot after running it, of course, but you can enable the sd card swap and disable zram at the same time, rebooting only once.

This is probably the most transparent method, once it's set up you won't need to manually move new apps as you install them, and you don't need to worry about apps that write to random locations on the sdcard.
Awesome thanks!!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes