Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,303 Members 42,599 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Messed up screen after ICS update

Tip us?

luisant
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Question Messed up screen after ICS update

Hi everyone,

I tried to install the new ICS ROM for my P7310.
Had CM10 installed and first tried to install the modified one via CWM.
Worked like a charm, but after screen was off it became messed up just like this guy had it.

Then I tried to flash the Stock ROM via ODIN. Installed just fine, but now I have the same messed up screen.

Problem is: It is messed up in Stock Recovery, too

Can I install an older ROM (which one, tab is from Switzerland) or CWM via Odin?
I think I could hit the download mode without seeing what is on the screen

Thanks in advance!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luisant For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fred_be9300
Old
(Last edited by fred_be9300; 19th September 2012 at 10:34 PM.)
Thanks Meter 308
(Edit: for a solution, scroll to end of this post)

I've heard "garbled screen" a few times regarding the ICS update.

Have you seen these posts? They suggest a solution... (and there's even another reference to Switzerland...)

I don't have experience with the issue, and can't comment beyond what I read elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufree2talk View Post
I bought the Tab 8.9 in Switzerland recently... am fairly well informed about working around Android devices... updated the firmware on my stock Honeycomb to the US ICS release via Odin... no issues in the process, and the tablet came up smart and zippy running ICS... even got the Play Movies/Books/Music app which normally doesn't feature in devices sold outside USA... although not much use of them unless I use a VPN service...

the problem is that as soon as I lock the device, or the screen times out, on trying to unlock the device I am met by a garbled unworkable screen... there is no option but to hard-reboot the device to get it working again... somebody is having the same issue here, but I can't post in Development forums... have tried reflashing and all, but its always the same thing... even with stock USA Honeycomb its the same behaviour... is there a region limitation to this firmware for proper functionality?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatt088 View Post
Same issue here.. As whit every usa stock based version... I have bricked my tab 2 times, i will appreciate that this issue will be mentioned in new threads as not every xda member is from usa. No problems with jb aosp and cm based version. Waiting for some european stock version
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufree2talk View Post
I managed to workaround this issue... flashed the P7310UELA3 3.2 via Odin, booted into recovery, performed factory reset/data erase, again flashed P7310UELPB 4.0 via Odin, and this time the Tab has no issue! it works like it should and there is no garbled screen on unlocking... if you want to save your app data before you do these steps, use Titanium...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
If you're not on ICS yet but plan on upgrading, flash P7310UELA3 first. It seems that for some, flashing ICS straight gives you the weird screen strobing.

Edit: confirmed solution
by now several people have confirmed that flashing the P7310UELA3 is a working solution to screen flickering after resume from standby. (Flash the UELA3 using Odin, then flash again the ROM you really want to run)

You can find UELA3 ROM via any of these links:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6#post24482346 (thx nirogu325 - also linked in post #1 same thread)
http://samsung-updates.com/gt-p7310-...tab-8-9-wi-fi/
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1483168

be kind and hit "Thanks" if this helped you
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to fred_be9300 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

luisant
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Thanks a lot!
Installed as supposed, everything is fine now
The Following User Says Thank You to luisant For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fred_be9300
Old
Thanks Meter 308
Glad to know it helped. Good to have that confirmed, for others who may have this...

Click thanks to say thanks
If I helped, click thanks. It's the nice thing to do
Alternatively, help me to some more cloud storage space
The Following User Says Thank You to fred_be9300 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

luisant
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred_be9300 View Post
Glad to know it helped. Good to have that confirmed, for others who may have this...

Click thanks to say thanks
Sure
The Following User Says Thank You to luisant For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

prinex
Old
Thanks Meter 0
You sir saved my day. Should be posted in the top thread.

luisant
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Guess the search function will do for most ppl

djcasl
Old
(Last edited by djcasl; 12th September 2012 at 07:40 AM.) Reason: Update
Thanks Meter 4
Question Back to HC and to ICS again?

I've seen this quote a day late.
" If you're not on ICS yet but plan on upgrading, flash P7310UELA3 first. It seems that for some, flashing ICS straight gives you the weird screen strobing."

Now I have screen problems on ICS when I connect a data cable http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...5&postcount=21. If I downgrade via Odin to P7310UELA3 and then go back to ICS via Odin, will data be preserved?

Update after flashing:
I flashed the recommended HC version, Tab couldn't get through bootanimation sequence. I turned the Tab off and started download mode again. Reflashed with ICS and all data was still there. Only the homescreens were empty again. My screen problem is fixed though.

fred_be9300
Old
(Last edited by fred_be9300; 19th September 2012 at 11:55 PM.)
Thanks Meter 308
this continues to happen (to small minority?) of people moving from HC to ICS, but seems to be hard to find.
(last case: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1895361)

(I've included it a new FAQ I posted here)
The Following User Says Thank You to fred_be9300 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jackplatonic
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Thumbs up thanks

thaks all of u u really save my tablet! I thought it was damaged! I applied the above procedure and everything is perfect now