FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

Top Forum Discussions

Increase your charging speed by 2x with new cable

447 posts
Thanks Meter: 141

By arcadia2uk, Senior Member on 25th January 2015, 03:50 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I just bought two sets of SONICable,The World's Most Advanced Charging Cable, for $49.00. Supposedly, they will increase you charging speed by 2x. It's a crowdfund project, and the cables will supposedly be delivered in March 2015.
I'm not affiliated with the project. I only think it sounds like an exciting product and decided informing the community about it.
Last edited by arcadia2uk; 26th January 2015 at 05:18 AM.

3rd February 2015, 09:40 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Does it work on the same principle as this video for doubling your WiFi speed?

Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG5cEik2ABY
4th February 2015, 03:45 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Well while surely there are better and worse cables, doesn't charging speed depends on the output of the wall piece and the charging circuitry?
On bad cables i get at most 1 Amp to charge the tablet, but with the original samsung cable i do get around 2 amps which is the designed output of the wall piece.
Maybe it works like the "Fast Charge" mode on custom kernels.
Last edited by Trevomader; 4th February 2015 at 03:57 PM.
8th February 2015, 08:38 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 25

More
Charging is limited by 3 factors
1. Stock charger 5 Volts, then most importantly is the Amps - 2A for typical Samsung charger so going faster then this is unlikely with the stock charger, and tablets can already charge at 1890mA so probably 90% of its rated current.
2. Cable quality and length most Samsung cables are already high-quality and have copper wires with two bigger wires for the 5v and Ground line and they are short length (3-6ft) so they can easily handle 2A output (probably higher).
3. Probably the most important is the phone / tablet, usually they have several circuitry and software (kernel) protections to limit the charging speed for several reasons since lithium-ion / poly are extremely dangerous if they are overcharged or overheated or otherwise improperly charged (you can see videos of people overcharging lithium battery's then tapping them causing a huge fireball :P)

So it is very unlikely for a cable to achieve better charging speed, it probably just has the Data + - pins shorted to tell the charger / phone to charge at full speed (though this is unnecessary nowadays since most chargers already do this, but it could be beneficial for older phones / tablets)
Last edited by otyg; 8th February 2015 at 08:42 AM.
23rd March 2015, 05:07 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 114

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadia2uk

I just bought two sets of SONICable,The World's Most Advanced Charging Cable, for $49.00. Supposedly, they will increase you charging speed by 2x. It's a crowdfund project, and the cables will supposedly be delivered in March 2015.
I'm not affiliated with the project. I only think it sounds like an exciting product and decided informing the community about it.

You seriously spent $49 on a usb lead

From the link you supplied:
'When the switch is ON: All of the power is focused on charging, sync/data is disabled'

What, like using a mains charger where there is no sync connection (or buying a cheap charging cable where the data pins aren't connected)
Last edited by hundred_miles_high; 23rd March 2015 at 05:10 PM.
23rd March 2015, 10:17 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hes either a bot or someone paid to advertise that "product". It did remind me of "double your network speed" video from youtube where dude wraps one ethernet cable with another one and doubles his internet speed.
27th March 2015, 05:11 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 27

More
I saw this post a while back, and it was immediately clear to me that it was a scam. I can't BELIEVE that they actually raised over $400k on this thing. Indiegogo seems like it's becoming a scammer's conduit to gullible/uninformed buyers.
The Following User Says Thank You to spiff72 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th May 2015, 07:45 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 183

More
When did commercial posts get so frequent in here?
6th May 2015, 08:27 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Boston, MA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmr2t

When did commercial posts get so frequent in here?

Apparently, there's a difference between buying a sd-card on amazon, or a glass protector on amazon compared with a pair of cables on Indiegogo. Although, I can't really see the difference.
Anyway, if and when I receive the cables I will let you know how it worked out.
9th May 2015, 09:44 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 183

More
Did you get your cables yet? Your OP says they were due in March 2015

Edit: I like this better http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...FozTFf-A2spM6A
Last edited by ssmr2t; 9th May 2015 at 09:53 PM.
15th May 2015, 01:25 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Boston, MA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmr2t

Did you get your cables yet? Your OP says they were due in March 2015

Edit: I like this better http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...FozTFf-A2spM6A

No news as of yet, who knows maybe it is as suggested a hoax. But, as I'm enjoying gadgets I'll take the risk.

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread