FORUMS

OnePlus 2 Announced: Specs, Price and Details

The OnePlus 2 has just had its Virtual Reality Launch event, and at the XDA Office we all … more

A Helpful Guide to Music Streaming Services

With the launch of Apple Music, music streaming services have recently gained a lot of … more

An Inside Look at the Redesign of Business Calendar

The much-acclaimed calendar app, Business Calendar, underwent a major design … more

New Android One Device Dead On Arrival

Today, Google announced the second generation of Android One devices, with the new Lava Pixel … more

[Q] Why is my Samsung pro micro sd slower than my evo one?

198 posts
Thanks Meter: 20
 
By fedor12, Senior Member on 13th December 2014, 10:31 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Today i received a 64gb Samsung pro micro sd cats i had purchased from amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KRDHRM...ing=UTF8&psc=1 however upon benchmarking it with A1 SD bench app i noticed i got lower numbers than i did with my 64gb evo card which was around half the price and advertised with lower speeds.

I consistently got around 38mb read and 20-21mb write on the evo however with the pro i am getting around 34mb read and 20-21mb write. I have seen others on here get 70+mb read and around 60mb write with the same micro sd benchmarked with the same app.

Anyone got any idea of what's going on?
 
 
14th December 2014, 11:09 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 20
 
More
Need some advice guys, i need to know what's up with the micro sd before i call Amazon and accuse them of sending me a fake or faulty card
16th December 2014, 02:49 AM |#3  
Member
Thanks Meter: 18
 
More
I don't know what is going on with your micro SD card. All I can offer you is my story. I bought a Samsung 64 GB Pro microSD from Wal-Mart and it was DOA. Returned it and bought one from Best Buy which worked 100%.

I know sometimes there's just a defective item, but here's what I noticed about the differences in packaging:

1. With the item I bought from Best Buy, the main graphic at the top of the package was in a brilliant blue color. The main image on the Wal-Mart item was greyscale.

2. The blurb on the front of the package stating how fast the read/write speeds on the Wal-Mart package was twice as large as the font on the item I bought from Best Buy.

I don't know if Samsung uses different packaging to differentiate selling through different stores/channels or if Wal-Mart got a batch of counterfeit product. I don't know if this story applies to your situation or not, but I need to buy a new card for a new tablet showing up in a few days & for sure I won't be buying it at Wal-Mart.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dark_Vortex For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th December 2014, 06:18 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 20
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Vortex

I don't know what is going on with your micro SD card. All I can offer you is my story. I bought a Samsung 64 GB Pro microSD from Wal-Mart and it was DOA. Returned it and bought one from Best Buy which worked 100%.

I know sometimes there's just a defective item, but here's what I noticed about the differences in packaging:

1. With the item I bought from Best Buy, the main graphic at the top of the package was in a brilliant blue color. The main image on the Wal-Mart item was greyscale.

2. The blurb on the front of the package stating how fast the read/write speeds on the Wal-Mart package was twice as large as the font on the item I bought from Best Buy.

I don't know if Samsung uses different packaging to differentiate selling through different stores/channels or if Wal-Mart got a batch of counterfeit product. I don't know if this story applies to your situation or not, but I need to buy a new card for a new tablet showing up in a few days & for sure I won't be buying it at Wal-Mart.

My sd card came in Amazon's frustration free packaging so i am unable to check if the packaging matched your micro sd from best buy, it's troubling that there are so many fake micro sd cards around.

Have you ran a benchmark on your phone/tablet using the a1 sd app? It would be interesting to know what you're getting as i can't seem to get higher than 34-35mb read and 21mb write despite it being advertised as 90mb read and 80mb write, i know I'm unlikely to ever reach those numbers but i was expecting more than what I'm currently getting.

Sent from my XT1032 using XDA Free mobile app
18th December 2014, 01:28 PM |#5  
Member
Thanks Meter: 18
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedor12

Have you ran a benchmark on your phone/tablet using the a1 sd app? It would be interesting to know what you're getting as i can't seem to get higher than 34-35mb read and 21mb write despite it being advertised as 90mb read and 80mb write, i know I'm unlikely to ever reach those numbers but i was expecting more than what I'm currently getting.

I ran the A1 SD app on both my Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 and my Galaxy S5 which both have Samsung Pro SD cards and didn't achieve much higher benchmarks than you did. This is because of the limitations of the SD controller chip in nearly all phones and tablets. These devices don't need those kinds of speeds that are the upper end of these Pro cards. You'll need something like a high-end DSLR camera if you wish to take full advantage of these cards.

I saw some of the posted results on the community page for A1 and a lot of those high results look suspect. I only bought the Pro cards myself because they weren't much more than the Evo ones and I may use them in a high speed device someday. My main attraction to Samsung SD cards was that they are water-proof, X-Ray-proof, and magnetic-proof.

Bottom line, I don't think there's anything wrong with the Pro card you bought, but you didn't gain any speed benefits upgrading from your Evo card due to hardware limitations of your device(s).
The Following User Says Thank You to Dark_Vortex For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th December 2014, 05:05 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 20
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Vortex

I ran the A1 SD app on both my Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 and my Galaxy S5 which both have Samsung Pro SD cards and didn't achieve much higher benchmarks than you did. This is because of the limitations of the SD controller chip in nearly all phones and tablets. These devices don't need those kinds of speeds that are the upper end of these Pro cards. You'll need something like a high-end DSLR camera if you wish to take full advantage of these cards.

I saw some of the posted results on the community page for A1 and a lot of those high results look suspect. I only bought the Pro cards myself because they weren't much more than the Evo ones and I may use them in a high speed device someday. My main attraction to Samsung SD cards was that they are water-proof, X-Ray-proof, and magnetic-proof.

Bottom line, I don't think there's anything wrong with the Pro card you bought, but you didn't gain any speed benefits upgrading from your Evo card due to hardware limitations of your device(s).

Well that sucks, i mainly purchased it for my tablet and will most likely never use it in anything else (other than maybe a phone) but the pro cost me twice the price of the evo.

Is it possible that the benchmark results we are getting with the a1 app are false? I ask because if they are accurate then the cheaper evo card is actually faster, 10 out of 10 times the evo consistently gave me higher results which doesn't really make sense even if the phone/tablet was limiting it, surely it should have been at least the same speed?

If the app and the pro card i received isn't to blame then i think people should know the evo performs better on their phones and tablets.

Sent from my XT1032 using XDA Free mobile app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes