FORUMS

Xiaomi Mi Note Pro With SD-810 Goes On Sale In China

The Xiaomi Mi Note Pro, announced on 15th Jan 2015, is Xiaomi’s attempt at … more

Project Fi Invites Are Rolling Out

Google is now sending out the first wave of invites to its new wireless service, Project Fi. … more

Vinsic 20,000mAh Ultra Slim Power Bank Giveaway

We have covered a lot of Android Accessories here on XDA TV. Mostly because we realize … more

T-Mobile Steps Up The War Against Verizon

T-Mobile has today launched a new attack on Verizon under the tagline of “Never Settle … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

[Q] Chromecast screen cast issues on NI1 firmware

28th April 2015, 10:23 AM |#1  
OP Member
Flag Manchester
Thanks Meter: 6
 
More
Hi guys! I got a tab pro 8.4 (mondrianwifi) last week and I can't seem to get the cast screen function in chromecast to work and I wondered if anyone had experienced and maybe found a solution. Whenever I choose to cast screen it connects but my screen on both the chromecast and tablet freeze, no error message or anything. I can still here system sounds on occasion though! The only way out of this is a reboot.

Now I have read through the forum posts and I realise there was a problem casting content within apps itself but this was apparently fixed in the NI1 update, which I'm currently using. Nothing I can see in the forum refers to the native ability to cast screen or relates to problems when using this firmware.

I have seen videos of this functionality being used on the mondrianwifi but it may have been CM or some other ROM being used, so maybe it's a TouchWizz thing.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
 
 
29th April 2015, 10:25 AM |#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 23
 
More
I have the same problem . The mirroring freeze my tablet when using stock unrooted rom.
Right now I'm using a custom rom based on stock and rooted and my tab 8.4 (mondfianwifi) can't find a chromecast to screen mirroring.

Later I will try a few custom roms based on aosp and I will see what happens. Then I will tell you the results
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruno_Tec For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th April 2015, 08:59 PM |#3  
OP Member
Flag Manchester
Thanks Meter: 6
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno_Tec

I have the same problem . The mirroring freeze my tablet when using stock unrooted rom.
Right now I'm using a custom rom based on stock and rooted and my tab 8.4 (mondfianwifi) can't find a chromecast to screen mirroring.

Later I will try a few custom roms based on aosp and I will see what happens. Then I will tell you the results

Thanks Bruno, I've actually just flashed Euphoria ROM and I'll see how that goes and let you know. Battery doesn't seem as good as stock so that's a bit annoying :/ also the notification drawer seems tiny. I guess it's still a work in progress.
29th April 2015, 11:15 PM |#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 23
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4Shurr

Thanks Bruno, I've actually just flashed Euphoria ROM and I'll see how that goes and let you know. Battery doesn't seem as good as stock so that's a bit annoying :/ also the notification drawer seems tiny. I guess it's still a work in progress.

Tell me your experience with screen mirroring so I don't have to try it myself. Try it using the default screen mirroring in notification drawer and later using chromecast 's own screen mirroring option

---------- Post added at 11:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 PM ----------

Hey . I have just made screen mirroring work without it freezes the tab pro 8.4

In using a custom rom called revolution 1.1 based on stock TouchWiz 4.4 .

When I wanted to screen mirror the tablet didn't find the chromecast .
What I did was to use YouTube own chromecast option (the one that shows videos but don't mirror the screen) , then it appeared 2 option to connect with chromecast :
1) "device with cast option"
2) "name of my wifi web"

I frequently use option 2 because that's the only option available (when using cast or screen mirroring ) but I choose the 1st one (by the way, I only have 1 chromecast and that's the only device with cast options)

After I choose option 1 my TV took 10 seconds and it shows the video but it didn't appear on my tab pro 8.4 that a cast was been made.
Then I choose to click the cast option of YouTube again and this time it only appear option 2 (like always ) and then it conects at that same second to my tab and chromecast .

After that I decided to try screen mirroring again and it appears to me the 2nd option (meaning that my tab found my chromecast. That didn't happen before when I try to mirror my tab) I chose to mirror and bum! Screen mirroring working perfect!! It didn't freeze (when using stock unrooted rom it freezed right away, in 10 seconds ) . This time I went 5 minutes and all is working perfectly. !

Try yourself and tell me your experience . Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruno_Tec For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th April 2015, 10:57 AM |#5  
OP Member
Flag Manchester
Thanks Meter: 6
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno_Tec

Tell me your experience with screen mirroring so I don't have to try it myself. Try it using the default screen mirroring in notification drawer and later using chromecast 's own screen mirroring option

---------- Post added at 11:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 PM ----------

Hey . I have just made screen mirroring work without it freezes the tab pro 8.4

In using a custom rom called revolution 1.1 based on stock TouchWiz 4.4 .

When I wanted to screen mirror the tablet didn't find the chromecast .
What I did was to use YouTube own chromecast option (the one that shows videos but don't mirror the screen) , then it appeared 2 option to connect with chromecast :
1) "device with cast option"
2) "name of my wifi web"

I frequently use option 2 because that's the only option available (when using cast or screen mirroring ) but I choose the 1st one (by the way, I only have 1 chromecast and that's the only device with cast options)

After I choose option 1 my TV took 10 seconds and it shows the video but it didn't appear on my tab pro 8.4 that a cast was been made.
Then I choose to click the cast option of YouTube again and this time it only appear option 2 (like always ) and then it conects at that same second to my tab and chromecast .

After that I decided to try screen mirroring again and it appears to me the 2nd option (meaning that my tab found my chromecast. That didn't happen before when I try to mirror my tab) I chose to mirror and bum! Screen mirroring working perfect!! It didn't freeze (when using stock unrooted rom it freezed right away, in 10 seconds ) . This time I went 5 minutes and all is working perfectly. !

Try yourself and tell me your experience . Good luck!

So screen mirroring using the chromecast app works in euphoria rom but it crashes if you rotate, if you keep it in a fixed rotation it's fine. Using the cast screen option from the notification drawer doesn't show the available Chromecast at all.

I also changed the governor settings to power save and that makes the battery performance a bit better. I'll keep playing around with those options.
Last edited by Andy4Shurr; 30th April 2015 at 11:02 AM.
30th April 2015, 02:11 PM |#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 23
 
More
I have just found the same as you but on stock TouchWiz rom with 4.4 kitkat. If you rotate the screen it freezes and also it freeze if you start screen mirroring while horizontal but If you use the tablet all time in vertical it's fine.

What about the color while screen mirroring in a aosp rom ?
Are they inverse or negative?

If you start the screen mirroring while the tab pro is horizontal and don't rotate . Does it freeze?

In my case , using TouchWiz 4.4 it freezes no matter if I rotate to horizontal or if I start the mirroring in horizontal
30th April 2015, 04:27 PM |#7  
OP Member
Flag Manchester
Thanks Meter: 6
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno_Tec

I have just found the same as you but on stock TouchWiz rom with 4.4 kitkat. If you rotate the screen it freezes and also it freeze if you start screen mirroring while horizontal but If you use the tablet all time in vertical it's fine.

What about the color while screen mirroring in a aosp rom ?
Are they inverse or negative?

If you start the screen mirroring while the tab pro is horizontal and don't rotate . Does it freeze?

In my case , using TouchWiz 4.4 it freezes no matter if I rotate to horizontal or if I start the mirroring in horizontal

The colour is normal on this ROM and if you start in landscape it's fine as long as you don't rotate. Even if you do, it just disconnects you.

I'm still undecided about sticking with this ROM or to go back to touchwizz. Battery is better on stock but I like the aosp lollipop feel so I'm not sure... Battery is really important to me though so I'll probably go back to stock or a modified stock rom. Hopefully aosp lollipop ROMs will improve when touchwizz gets a lollipop update!
30th April 2015, 07:57 PM |#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 23
 
More
Hopefully you are right. Sometimes in horizontal it doesn't freeze even if you rotate the screen but I'm not sure if those freezes were because of the first time of using mirroring r just at random
1st May 2015, 01:26 PM |#9  
OP Member
Flag Manchester
Thanks Meter: 6
 
More
If I try any other ROMs I'll let you know mate!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
cast screen, chromecast, freeze
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes