Ask a question

No registration required

Does anyone know what file/apk to change to stop OTA

OP 96cobra

28th August 2014, 03:05 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 5

58 posts
Want to block OTA updates on my 8.4 Wifi. Anyone know what apk/file(s) to rename/freeze to keep it from trying to update? I'm rooted, but still on the stock ROM.
28th August 2014, 03:08 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 20

195 posts
I believe it will not update ota now that its rooted, simple test is to check for update, go through that, it should end up telling you something like, file have been change or modified or something and it wont let you update

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
Last edited by cloud71; 28th August 2014 at 03:11 AM.
28th August 2014, 05:05 AM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 5

58 posts
It's trying to update & I just keep selecting the 3 hour postponement. I'm rooted and it's still trying. On my phone (GS4) I renamed the update apk, but I don't know the filename of the one on the tab.
28th August 2014, 12:25 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 79

249 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96cobra

Want to block OTA updates on my 8.4 Wifi. Anyone know what apk/file(s) to rename/freeze to keep it from trying to update? I'm rooted, but still on the stock ROM.

On mine I went into 'settings/general/about device/software update' and unticked automatically check for updates. Then booted into recovery (stock recovery still on mine) and cleared the cache (which I believe deletes the OTA update file) then rebooted.

Since doing that I have not had any software update notifications and the OTA file hasn't reappeared.

My tab is on the original stock ROM and rooted with Towelroot.
Last edited by hundred_miles_high; 28th August 2014 at 12:30 PM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread