OP favero_

4th December 2014, 04:00 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Franca
Thanks Meter: 3

84 posts
More
Hi!

I noticed that in my Tab Pro 8.4 right after turning it on, when I'm not doing anything and just staring at the monitor it let only one core on clocked at 300MHz (using dashclock CPU information extension). So far so good.

The problem is that after some time, in the same context (doing nothing staring at the homescreen) it let two or four cores on clocked at 1497, so I have to reboot in order to save battery.

Any ideas why this is happenening? Does that happen to you?

P.S.: Battery saving settings turned on
12th December 2014, 06:40 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 110

91 posts
It's mpdecision bug - needs root to fix
This issue should be affecting all stock ROM users of TAB Pro 8.4.

I noticed it a while ago and recently had some free time. The issue was narrowed down to Samsung's buggy mpdecision binary in /system/bin and you need root access to fix it. There are two ways to do it (you'll need terminal and file manager with root access rights):

1. Open terminal, type "su" and then "stop mpdecision". Open Root Explorer, navigate to /system/bin and rename "mpdecision" file to something like "00mpdecision". Reboot. All cores will be running at 300 mhz when idle and tablet will feel noticeably smoother and faster. I did not see any serious impact on battery while running this way for 2 weeks already.

2. Download attached mpdecision file from CM11 modrianwifi ROM, unrar it and transfer it to your tablet. Open terminal, type "su" and then "stop mpdecision". Open Root Explorer, navigate to /system/bin and rename "mpdecision" file to something like "00mpdecision". Copy new mpdecision file into /system/bin, change ownership to root:root and access rights to rwxr-xr-x.
Reboot. The issue will be resolved for good and unused cores will be shutdown properly. Tablet will feel the same way it was before file replacement.

Hope it helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by favero_

Hi!

I noticed that in my Tab Pro 8.4 right after turning it on, when I'm not doing anything and just staring at the monitor it let only one core on clocked at 300MHz (using dashclock CPU information extension). So far so good.

The problem is that after some time, in the same context (doing nothing staring at the homescreen) it let two or four cores on clocked at 1497, so I have to reboot in order to save battery.

Any ideas why this is happenening? Does that happen to you?

P.S.: Battery saving settings turned on

Attached Files
File Type: rar mpdecision.rar - [Click for QR Code] (25.2 KB, 4 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NetFluke For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th December 2014, 01:49 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 10

57 posts
Hm I'm not seeing this issue on my tablet running the NK1 firmware, though I think I do remember it happening on the AND3 Firmware (saw it under Android Tuner) , I wonder if it was fixed under NK1, I'm curious too - do you know a easy way to reproduce it?

Here is a screenshot of CPU-Z, my tablet has been running for at least 1 day without a reboot, and had some 3D games run on it etc, CPU cores always seem to fallback to offline and 300mhz under my test

On a side note:
I don't run the Samsung Touch Wiz Launcher I am using "TSF Shell" as my Launcher, and have disabled some Samsung apps like "My Magazine" and a few Knox things that run in the background. also I don't use too many widgets since I found out they can hog CPU esp on poorly written apps. ,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-12-13-04-30-55.png
Views:	34
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	3062103  
Last edited by otyg; 13th December 2014 at 01:52 PM.
13th December 2014, 05:10 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 110

91 posts
mpdecision
I saw this issue on NA1, ND3, NG1 and NK1 firmware. Initially I thought it was fixed in NK1, but it came back in 3 days after last reboot. I'm running heavily de-bloated rooted stock f/w (Knox is at 0x0).
As for reproduction - I was suspecting Flipboard, but the issue came back after its uninstall as well. Seems to be uptime-related. 1 day uptime is not enough for NK1 - please check after 2 more days.
I'm running TouchWiz, but used "MyAndroidTools" to disable several services and startups for few remaining stock widgets and apps. Now I'm totally happy with my Tab Pro - best tablet I've ever had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otyg

Hm I'm not seeing this issue on my tablet running the NK1 firmware, though I think I do remember it happening on the AND3 Firmware (saw it under Android Tuner) , I wonder if it was fixed under NK1, I'm curious too - do you know a easy way to reproduce it?

Here is a screenshot of CPU-Z, my tablet has been running for at least 1 day without a reboot, and had some 3D games run on it etc, CPU cores always seem to fallback to offline and 300mhz under my test

On a side note:
I don't run the Samsung Touch Wiz Launcher I am using "TSF Shell" as my Launcher, and have disabled some Samsung apps like "My Magazine" and a few Knox things that run in the background. also I don't use too many widgets since I found out they can hog CPU esp on poorly written apps. ,

15th December 2014, 09:19 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 30

72 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetFluke

This issue should be affecting all stock ROM users of TAB Pro 8.4.

Thank you! I've replaced my /system/bin/mpdecision file with yours and so far the tablet is working properly.

I'll know in a few days if it sticks. But, I definitely had this problem with the governor with T320XAR1ANK1. FYI, for what ever it's worth, I've noticed this governor is slightly slower to ramp up. I don't really care, as the tablet is still super responsive, but some may also notice that Antutu and CF-Bench scores are slightly lower with this governor.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread