No registration required

[Q] Help! What have I done to my Pro 10.1

OP canuck86

20th December 2014, 09:06 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
More
Here's the story. I purchased a factory refurb'd Tab Pro 10.1 (SM-T520NZKAXAR) on Woot a few weeks back. I live in Canada, but it is a USA tablet, if that matters. It came with a 90-day Samsung warranty. As soon as I got it, I started looking at custom ROMs. I have experience with custom ROMs on my HTC One m8 (and old m7), but not with any Samsung devices. I wish I had kept it stock for a few weeks first to check it out, but here we are.

I created a nandroid backup of the stock firmware, however I quickly deleted it during a wipe when flashing my first custom ROM, which was GraveD's v3.0. It seemed to go OK, but then it would start to freeze up and reboot on it's own. This seemed to happen mostly under load, and especially when trying to install apps from the Play store. I tried going back to the stock kernel, thinking that could be the problem. It stopped the crashing, but then wifi wouldn't work. So I could choose between having a tablet that crashes all the time, and has difficulty installing apps, or one without wifi. Both were basically useless.

I tried installing another custom ROM, GigaWatts Pro. Again, flashing seemed to go well, and the ROM also seemed to work very nicely for a couple of days. No random reboots, and wifi worked great. I spent a few days downloading all of my apps and getting things set up the way I like, when yesterday something went wrong. Perhaps the tablet lost its root (is that possible?). All of a sudden, apps are crashing all over the place (Unfortunately, [insert app name] has stopped). Titanium backup hangs at "Asking for root...". Installing apps is also difficult again. The tab doesn't reboot on it's own, but Play Services crashes constantly. Whenever I try to get into developer options, the Settings app crashes. I'm not even 100% sure USB debugging is enabled right now, although I'm still able to flash using ODIN.

I tried doing a factory reset and re-installing GigaWatts. Same problems. Tried making sure the root was OK. Same problems. I've tried using twrp 2.8.0.0 as well as 2.7.1.0 with no luck.

Right now, I've downloaded the stock firmware for Canada T520UEUANI1 4.4.2 (although the tab was bought from a USA site). I assume this also installs it's own Kernel. It shows Kernel version:
3.4.39-2776001
dpi@SWDD6515 #1
Mon Sep 15 17:44:40 KST 2014

I'm experiencing the same problems. Google Play Newsstand crashes every 10 minutes or so. Settings is almost useless. Installing apps is problematic.

Can anybody tell me if there's something I'm missing? Anything left to try? Does it sound like a hardware/ROM/kernel problem? If it's hardware, can I still utilize the Samsung warranty after trying to flash custom ROMs? I'm going to try to download another Cellular South stock ROM, but it seems like the problems are persisting regardless of which ROM i have installed, so I think it's something else (kernel or hardware-related).

Any help is GREATLY appreciated. My new tablet is basically useless, and I've run out of ideas.
Last edited by canuck86; 20th December 2014 at 09:56 PM.
21st December 2014, 12:01 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 19

90 posts
More
Try this latest firmware since you mentioned your tablet is the XAR model the firmware should be cellular south (wifi)
http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/d...RANK1_XAR.zip/

If that doesn't help then it could just be a bad tablet .
(btw when you flashed a custom rom you probably tripped the hardware knox flag and voided any warranty it had, I guess you could play dumb if they ask and say it came like that since it was refurbished, and hope they still repair/replace it)
Last edited by otyg; 21st December 2014 at 12:13 AM.
21st December 2014, 03:00 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
More
I just tried the USA cellular south firmware. Still experiencing the exact same issues. I'm completely out of ideas. Does anyone else have any ideas? Otherwise I'm going to have to try warranty service and hope for the best. Is there anything I can do to restore the Knox flag before I send it in?

Also, in download mode the tab is recognizing the system as custom. Is this normal after flashing a stock image?
21st December 2014, 07:41 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 86

445 posts
So do a factory reset in recovery, and clear the cache also. Then load the cellular South file thru Odin. Then factory reset again. See if this clears your problems.
22nd December 2014, 07:58 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8108

So do a factory reset in recovery, and clear the cache also. Then load the cellular South file thru Odin. Then factory reset again. See if this clears your problems.

I've tried the Cellular South firmware to no avail. I'll be trying to warranty the tablet now. Fingers crossed!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread