Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,406 Members 42,029 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Random reboots after update

Tip us?

k8108
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 69
Default Random reboots after update

So I installed the latest update for my T520 10.1 (which just added the kids mode) and now my tablet does random reboots all the time. Probably at least once an hour. I am running stock rom with root. I did have the cybertronic kernel installed and thought maybe it was causing the reboots. So I Odin'd back to stock, and am still having reboots. Anyone else experiencing this? (I did clear cache and factory reset)

stef_ladefense
Old
(Last edited by stef_ladefense; 22nd July 2014 at 01:36 AM.)
Thanks Meter 20
hi,
I have exactly the same problem after the updates T520XXUANF4 (with last CF-Auto-Root)
Ditto after a factory reset ...
return to T520XXUAND1

Stef

cnote74
Old
Thanks Meter 2541

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8108 View Post
So I installed the latest update for my T520 10.1 (which just added the kids mode) and now my tablet does random reboots all the time. Probably at least once an hour. I am running stock rom with root. I did have the cybertronic kernel installed and thought maybe it was causing the reboots. So I Odin'd back to stock, and am still having reboots. Anyone else experiencing this? (I did clear cache and factory reset)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef_ladefense View Post
hi,
I have exactly the same problem after the updates T520XXUANF4 (with last CF-Auto-Root)
Ditto after a factory reset ...
return to T520XXUAND1

Stef
I think reboots are kernel security related as my note pro 12.2 was rebooting several times a day after root and removing Knox, now I'm re rooted with Knox and no reboots in over 24 hours.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
sent from the depths of androidinsomnia always lurking around somewhere
The Following User Says Thank You to cnote74 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

k8108
Old
(Last edited by k8108; 23rd July 2014 at 02:18 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 69
So I had frozen all the knox files with titanium backup. I went in and unfroze them a couple hours ago. No reboots since. Crossing my fingers that it works.

edit: still lots of reboots, so I chose to go with a custom rom.

Sent from my SM-T520 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

jaegorith
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8108 View Post
Same here on the reboots! My device is no longer rooted after the previous update, which worked great. Only MagazineWidget, WatchOn and Screen Saver are turned off. Since I wasn't planning to root again I can't use Titanium Backup, but I'm assuming that whatever I froze there would show up in Application Manager in the "Turned Off' tab? The Knox application still shows the "download" icon b/c I never installed it.

I checked the Sammobile site, but it looks like it doesn't show U.S. firmware. Anyone know how I can get back to the previous update?

fletch33
Old
Thanks Meter 189
i am running stock which is not my normal staus but have never had a reboot on latest update or previous versions. just wanted to throw that out there.
The Following User Says Thank You to fletch33 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

stef_ladefense
Old
Thanks Meter 20
have reload T520XXUANF4 and it's ok if you answered no to supersu when he wants to disable knox
no reboot after 24 hour

stef

ps ; who speaks better English than me to explain the problem to Chainfire?
The Following User Says Thank You to stef_ladefense For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

k8108
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaegorith View Post
Same here on the reboots! My device is no longer rooted after the previous update, which worked great. Only MagazineWidget, WatchOn and Screen Saver are turned off. Since I wasn't planning to root again I can't use Titanium Backup, but I'm assuming that whatever I froze there would show up in Application Manager in the "Turned Off' tab? The Knox application still shows the "download" icon b/c I never installed it.

I checked the Sammobile site, but it looks like it doesn't show U.S. firmware. Anyone know how I can get back to the previous update?
From my reading, I think you can use the firmware for Cellular South on sammobile. Or you can use the one from this link and follow his directions. The firmware is for France, but gives you the option for English language. I have used it several times myself.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2636494

Sent from my SM-T520 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to k8108 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

RiverCity.45
Old
Thanks Meter 45
Also having random reboots after latest update. I was able to root using the same Chainfire file as I did with the previous firmware.

Sent telepathically to my Galaxy S4
Sent telepathically

k8108
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 69
So after using a custom rom for a few days, I really wanted to go back to the stock rooted rom. Here is my procedure. Maybe some of the steps were unnecessary, but in the end it worked. No more reboots!
I first went into twrp and wiped cache and dalvik cache. Then I did a factory reset. Then used Odin to load the stock rom. Went into stock recovery and did another factory reset. Then went thru the process of installing the updates. After the updates I rooted then did another factory reset and cleared cache. I had a random reboot shortly after that when I was restoring everything on the tablet. . But that was over 7 hours ago. No more reboots!

The Following User Says Thank You to k8108 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]